TCP/UDP Binding not showing up in Paper UI inbox openHABian

Hi there,
I’m new to all of this so sorry if this is posted in the wrong place or something obvious.

I’ve been enjoying playing with openHABian on a Pi2 and configuring it mostly with Paper UI but done a bit of ssh and just figured out how to see the logs in Karaf console.

I’m trying to get the TCP/UDP binding working but I can’t get it to show up in the inbox or bindings config. I can check the install switch in the add ons - bindings list and it pops up a message saying its installed but it doesn’t turn up anywhere else. I’ve tried the search button in the inbox and it finds any other bindings installed but not this one.
I’ve just finished a fresh image with updates done and only the TCP/UDP binding installed with the same result.

I have no experience with openHAB 1 and only basic skills in linux so may be missing something obvious. I’ve had a look at the karaf logs on different levels but either see nothing about the driver except its installed, or a huge continuous list if I change the log level to trace or debug. I don’t know what I’m looking for though so any pointers would be great.

Am I doing something stupid or is there an issue with this binding in openHABian?

Had some time to figure out the logs a bit better and found this:

03:27:25.935 [ERROR] [org.openhab.binding.tcp ] - [org.openhab.binding.tcp.protocol.tcp(173)] The deactivate method has thrown an exception java.lang.NullPointerException

followed by a long block of info that doesn’t mean much to me

and found it in bundle:list looking happy:

185 | Active | 80 | 1.9.0 | openHAB TCP-UDP Binding

OK well I think I’ve figured it out by reading through the documentation, it’s not a 2.0 binding so doesn’t work with paper ui - correct?

So back to openhab school to learn how it all works properly i guess

That’s correct :wink:
Pay attention to the documentation to know how to use the binding (i.e. how to define items) and how to define rules and a sitemap based on that. You didn’t choose the easiest technology/binding for your first steps… if you see other bindings you would also be interested my suggestion would be to tinker with these first.

Thanks will do