Testing Z-Wave binding on openHAB-2

@poehlert can you provide the XML file for the 1.8 version and I’ll create a database entry for it…

Yes, SWITCH_MULTILEVEL.

Here is my definition from the 1.x binding.
Rollershutter Bsmt_Blinds “Basement Blinds” { zwave=“28:command=SWITCH_MULTILEVEL” }

In 1.x I was able to the commands UP/DOWN/STOP to the switch. In 2.0 it seems to accept the inputs, but doesn’t take action. Would those commands just be translated to a dimmer value?

In OH1, UP just set the position to 99% (ie max) and DN set it to 0% (ie min). Stop is a separate command.

I’ll take a look at adding this support in OH2…

Sorry to jump into the middle of this thread. I first want to highlight that I am interested in testing out the Security class devices with ZStick, so once I can solve a few issues I’ve had below, I’d like to jump into testing out the newer version of the binding. Security device wise, I have a Kwikset 910 Deadbolt w/ ZWave. From a user standpoint, I’m a long time OH1 user with a Vera Lite integrated into a current OH1 setup. Now testing/moving to Pine64 IoT w/ OH2.

For now I have an Aeon Gen5 Stick in the meantime (Zwave module ships later). I’ve never used it before, so some of this may just be first time usage with OH2. I setup my OH2 instance, got Habmin loaded, and able to get the ZStick registered no issue (mostly). A few quirks and questions I have though:

• LED on the Stick seems to just scroll through red, yellow, blue when plugged into Pine64. I thought I had read it should display one color depending on the quality/signal of the current ZWave network (which with no devices should be blue).
  • I was able to successfully pair a couple test devices, they showed up as things, I got them working. How would one go about making them into Items? Is there no direct way in HABmin yet? Do I need to just create items in my items files and reference the ZWave thing Node ID?
  • I think I read this behavior somewhere, but can’t seem to find it again. It seems every time I unplug the stick to pair new devices, then re-plug it in, the TTY port changes. Currently it’s ttyACM0, then flips to ACM1. Then upon removal and re-insert, it goes back to 0. Is this normal? Is there a way to set this statically, or to avoid having to always make sure to update the ZWave controller Port Config to the recent address?
  • I’ve also found as a side effect of this behavior, that devices are no longer showing Green once I re-insert, even if I update the TTY. Is there a way to fix this, as this could obviously cause much chaos when I try to actually pair my devices and set it up?
  • Is there a mechanism for doing a ZWave backup in HABmin or is there a planned feature to do so? I’m not complaining nor do I want to force more work on the great folks who have done the work that has been completed thus far. Just wanted to see if this is one less thing I would need a separate software for. Trying to reduce my smart home footprint to this single Pine64 device and this would help greatly.

Ops please feel free to relocate this post if it makes sense to post somewhere else, I apologize as I don’t often post here.

That’s normal when it’s plugged in to the USB.

Of course - look at the overview here and look at the section Adding Items.

Yes - this is a ‘feature’ of Linux - it’s nothing to do with openHAB. If you look on the wiki, or search the forum, there’s information about creating symbolic links to ports to prevent this.

I would recommend fixing the problem and sort out the symbolic links.

I’ve asked Aeon for information on how to backup their stick and they were seeing if they can provide it. You need to remember that ZWave information is restricted under an NDA so getting this sort of information is not easy!

Please update the database to use the blinds_control channel as per this thread -:

@chris thank you!! That is immensely helpful. I appreciate your answers.

So on the topic of the linux TTY, that explains it. I thought I found something, Symbolic links makes sense, I’ll look around for that detail.

On the items topics, I didn’t see the items created in the normal items location. I’m not sure how OH2 handles creating these items. And when I visited the PaperUI, I didn’t see any actual ZWave items after creating them. Is there a step I’m missing in OH2 to get these ZWave devices into the dashboard.

I have an RF9500 switch which I was able to get Included into OpenHAB2 but it’s showing as ‘Unknown Device’, the resulting nodeX.xml looks ok except for missing ‘nodeInformationFrame’ and ‘nodeNeighbors’ is blank(detected as rf9500 in the logs) but the Attributes in the GUI is showing no information even though it is in the xml. So I’m not sure where to go to continue debugging this.

Please can you provide a debug log of the complete startup of the binding and I’ll take a look.

What does this mean? What are the “normal items location”? If you’re using HABmin, does it shown them in the channels link area as per the link I mentioned above?

@chris sorry, it appears I have a bit of unfamiliarity with OH2 still. Getting my sea legs if you will. So it appears they didn’t appear immediately in the PaperUI under Things. Originally though I had pulled up the PaperUI after adding these successfully and validating functionality. Unfortunately they weren’t there. So I looked for an items files, and didn’t find it either.

As I was going to reply, I tried looking again (just to be sure) and found the Things did exist now in the PaperUI. So the location I was referring to for “normal items location” would have been the items files I’ve been used to. So it seems the items exist, I simply need to map them in the .items files if I would like to do something with sitemaps or other things etc. We haven’t fully made it to the world of OH2 where everything is managed through the GUI. Just getting easier, and in my case coming from MiOS to straight ZWave, HABmin is serving as my MiOS controller interface really, and that’s all.

So I think I’m in good shape now thanks to you, I just need to straighten out the symbolic links and I think I’ll be in shape to try and start testing linking up the Door lock to test the security classes.

Question I leave you with this time, should I be looking at CloudBees for a most recent pull of the binding you’re working on, or should I be pulling from GitHub a completed JAR? I’m sorry I’m playing a bit of catch up, so I’ll likely re-read through the entire thread in the coming week as well as time permits.

In OH2, items are stored in a database if they are created through the UI - there is no items file in this case.

Hmmm - not sure what you mean. Items are items - you don’t need to map them to another item in an items file. Just use them in your sitemap.

If you are using the online runtime of OH2, then it’s simple to upgrade. All you need to do is to go to Extensions in HABmin or PaperUI, uninstall the current binding, then install it again. It will pick up the latest build from Cloudbees…

No problem.

Really - I wouldn’t bother. This thread is a bit too long, and probably out of date a lot of the time.

I would suggest asking questions as you have issues, but I would also suggest to open another thread rather than continuing this one so that others can also benefit…

I’ve upload the log and the node.xml here: https://github.com/steve-wormley/stuff/tree/master/z

I had a quick look at the log…

What happens if you wake up the device?

There are two parts of code - the protocol handlers, and the thing handlers (so the ZWave side, and the OH2 side). There are certain events where these two synchronise - firstly during inclusion, and secondly once initialisation completes. Maybe I need to look more at how these can be more closely linked, but that’s how it currently works.

So, in theory, once the initialisation completes, which would be quick given that the XML exists, it should set the information in the thing that is currently missing.

I’ve been trying to find ways to improve this for a while, but it’s not as simple as it seems as all of this runs asynchronously. For example the things might be initialised before or after the controller starts, so it’s not as easy to synchronise when the thing is created, and order is important…

Thanks for the comment. Waking up the device or keeping it awake during binding startup didn’t seem to change anything.

But the interesting bit is I moved the Z-Wave stick from the RPi 3(Oracle JDK) to a fresh snapshot on an x86 Ubuntu system(OpenJDK) and watched the logs on initial discovery and as soon as it said it couldn’t reach node 12 I kept it awake for a while and it discovered fine, even lets me set associations as long as I wake the device before I hit save. Then I walked down to my other RF9500, pushed it, and it just appeared correctly without anything else. So I’m wondering if it’s simply the Pi being too slow causing a race/ordering problem or a Java problem or something else entirely. In any case, I’m considering just swapping to a small x86 system instead.

And of course, on another random note, Node 10(The second RF9500) discovered correctly, even shows the existing associations in the xml, but they don’t appear in Habmin2.

The Pi shouldn’t be too slow (especially a Pi3), but stranger things have happened…

The associations should sync correctly, but this is another area where there are ‘two worlds’ at play - the ZWave protocol, and the OH2 (really ESH) configuration which is stored separately. I’ll take another look at how this is synced.

I’ve been testing it. I’ll send it tonight or tomorrow, but it seems to work great. It does seem like they added a new mode to the device in response to holding down the hardware button, so docs would still be nice at some point.

Hmmm - not sure what you mean. Items are items - you don’t need to map them to another item in an items file. Just use them in your sitemap.

I was looking to potentially add some groups or specify the callouts for HomeKit inclusion as well so I can use Siri to turn on/off. These were in the .items files previously, so just trying to understand where those changes could now be made. Will I need to modify the DB instead now?

If you are using the online runtime of OH2, then it’s simple to upgrade. All you need to do is to go to Extensions in HABmin or PaperUI, uninstall the current binding, then install it again. It will pick up the latest build from Cloudbees…

Perfect, I’ll get switched over to an online version as I believe the Pine64 versions shipped was offline since it has all the JAR files packaged.

Thanks for the help/direction. I’ll get updates and hopefully get around to testing the security binding this week/end.

Hi,

I am testing the OH2 Online Distro with the Z-Wave Binding at the moment.
I have an Aeonlabs Zwave Stick Gen5 and an Aeonlabs Smart Switch 6 to test with.
If I start from scratch and install the Zwave Binding, I can add both things and they are working fine (online and working).
As soon as I stop and restart OH2 both Things are stuck in “INITIALIZING” .

Any Ideas on how to solve this?
Any additional information needed?

Log Files:
http://www.file-upload.net/download-11723140/openhab.log.html
http://www.file-upload.net/download-11723144/events.log.html

You can either put item definitions in item files like before, or, if you use the UI, they will be stored in a database. My confusion was you were talking about mapping items to other items - maybe we’re talking about different terminology…