Testing Z-Wave binding on openHAB-2

I’ve updated the database.

Just FYI, if it’s the UID that you’re after, then when you create the item through HABmin, it also provides the same UID that would be used if the items is automatically created… Anyway, it seems that you’ve got it sorted now :slightly_smiling:

Hopefully tonight I’ll have the following presentation of the Z-Wave network included in HABmin - it’s similar to the network diagram previously in HABmin-2 when used with OH1 ZWave binding.

I’ve just put node numbers into the diagram - adding names like I had previously made it unreadable. I’ll likely add more information when you click on the node, but that’s one for later…

Hopefully this will help people understand their networks… Note that it only shows the nodes that are associated to things - if you’ve got devices still sitting in the discovery inbox, then they won’t show up here (at least for now).

In the diagram, a green line indicates a bi-directional route, and a red line means it only goes from one device to the other - not both ways.

2 Likes

This is one of the great features I was missing in the new Habmin. Thanks @chris !

Hi Chris, this Looks very good. I tested openHAB 2 with zwave after the first Post but i have only one Stick so i switched back to openHAB 1.8.1. After 400 Posts i will test it again but i am confused where i find the Files???

First i download openHAB 2 online Distribution from the Main Site (http://www.openhab.org/getting-started/downloads.html)
then install zwave over the Bindings in paper ui or is there a newer Version on Cloudbees?
But where is the download for HABmin2 … your Github site (https://github.com/cdjackson/HABmin2/tree/master/output)
I still Need ther Serial IO JAR ???

Can you make a very short Install Guide with best practice first start and the Download Sources?
I mean configure Serial Port in Habmin not in Paper UI …

Thank you for your Work i am very impressed.

Since about a week, you need to use snapshots instead - since zwave binding is included in online distribution. No need to download anything, except habmin, if you want it.
If you want habmin, get it from “theme” branch. No serial is needed.
Snapshots from cloudbees
https://openhab.ci.cloudbees.com/job/openHAB-Distribution/

Dear @jkarsten,

maybe i can help you. There was a change in deploying the binding and habmin2 in the last week.

The latest habmin2 version is found on the link on top of the thread here in the forum:
org.openhab.ui.habmin_2.0.0.SNAPSHOT-0.1.0.jar

At the moment only the org.openhab.ui.habmin should be downloaded manually und placed in the
…/openhab/addons folder.

Please keep in mind to delete the older version in this folder.

org.openhab.binding.zwave comes with openhab-online-2.0.0-SNAPSHOT.zip from the nightly buildings at Cloudbees

Due to so much changes i start every 2-3 days with a new installation form the scratch, i keep only
…/openhab/addons
…/openhab/conf

I don’t save my items and things-configuration, even here is a discussion about the best way of backup and restore this:

The bindings, UIs and services i want to test with are defined in my addons.cfg:

# The base installation package of this openHAB instance
# Valid options:
#   - minimal  : Installation only with dashboard, but no UIs or other addons
#   - standard : Typical installation with all standards UIs
#   - demo     : A demo setup which includes UIs, a few bindings, config files etc.
package = minimal

# A comma-separated list of bindings to install (e.g. "sonos,knx,zwave")
binding =  avmfritz, hue, netatmo, zwave, mqtt
# A comma-separated list of UIs to install (e.g. "basic,paper")
ui = basic,paper,rest

# A comma-separated list of miscellaneous services to install (e.g. "myopenhab")
misc = homekit

With this cfg the latest OH2-snapshot starts fresh with the Addons, UIs, and Misc option i want to test.

After starting OH2, drinking 1 or 2 coffees i’ll check the installed versions with the command
bundle:list -s | grep openhab

with the following output from my last setup:

10 | Active   |  80 | 2.0.0.201602271417    | org.openhab.ui.habmin
132 | Resolved |  90 | 2.0.0.201603021555    | org.openhab.core
133 | Resolved |  80 | 2.0.0.201603021555    | org.openhab.core.karaf
141 | Resolved |  80 | 2.0.0.201603021555    | org.openhab.io.rest.docs
142 | Resolved |  80 | 2.0.0.201603021555    | org.openhab.ui.dashboard
147 | Resolved |  80 | 2.0.0.201603040203    | org.openhab.binding.avmfritz
149 | Resolved |  80 | 1.9.0.201603040213    | org.openhab.binding.netatmo
150 | Resolved |  80 | 2.0.0.201603021555    | org.openhab.core.compat1x
151 | Resolved |  80 | 2.0.0.201603040203    | org.openhab.binding.zwave
152 | Resolved |  80 | 2.0.0.201603021555    | org.openhab.io.transport.serial
153 | Resolved |  80 | 1.9.0.201603040213    | org.openhab.binding.mqtt
154 | Resolved |  80 | 1.9.0.201603040213    | org.openhab.io.transport.mqtt
156 | Resolved |  80 | 2.0.0.201603021555    | org.openhab.ui.basicui, Hosts: 155
157 | Resolved |  80 | 2.0.0.201603021555    | org.openhab.ui.iconset.classic
159 | Resolved |  80 | 2.0.0.201603021555    | org.openhab.ui.paperui, Hosts: 158
162 | Resolved |  80 | 2.0.0.201603040203    | org.openhab.io.homekit

I think when also Habmin is included in Maven-Projekt openHAB-Distribution, it could be load via PaperUI or addons.cfg.

Hope this could be helpful.

Regards,
Heiko

I merged everything into master a couple of days back, so now you can (and should) use the mast branch. I will delete the theme branch to avoid confusion.

This is a good point… While I don’t think it’s necessary to update everything every 2-3 days, it is important to update regularly at the moment. ESH, which forms the core of OH2, gets updated when there’s important changes, and when it’s considered to be reasonably stable. That is roughly every week I would say.

The reason I comment on this at the moment is that HABmin is using some features that are only available in the latest branch of ESH, so you need to be running an OH2 build after the 2nd March or you may find a few issues (eg saving items might fail).

For updating, I’m personally using a slightly modified version of the script from @xsnrg as described here -:

I agree, but i test different points of OH2 and im not quite sure to find out the right update-order:

binding-zwave - 2.0.0.SNAPSHOT (openHAB-Distribution ?)
binding-avmfritz - 2.0.0.SNAPSHOT (openHAB-Distribution ?)
binding-hue - 0.8.0.SNAPSHOT (ESH ?)
misc-homekit - 2.0.0.SNAPSHOT  (openHAB-Distribution ?)

Due to the posting here i thought that every changes of ESH are included in the latest OH2-snapshot

You could just uninstall, and reinstall the bindings in PaperUI. Karaf will (or should!) take care of the dependancies and that should give you the updated system without a reinstall. Of course, it’s also no problem to do a complete reinstall - I was just pointing out it’s probably not required.

No - only periodic builds of ESH are used in the OH2 build since it uses the stable ESH release. You can see this if you look in this link which is the ESH stable distro - the last update was the 2nd March - there have been many ESH updates since then.

Thank you for pointing me on this. Till now i didn’t understand the order :wink:

But what is now the best way to get the many ESH-Updates since 2nd March in my OH2-Installation?

I modified this script to work on Mac OS X replacing wget by curl and it works fine for me to to Update OH2 with the nightly builds.

But i don’t know how to update ESH with this script, because it even contains options for the SmartHome Designer and an older version of habmin that should be fixed :wink:

You don’t need to worry about ESH. OH2 is built on top of ESH, so when OH2 gets built (ie each night if you are using the snapshot on cloudbees) it uses the most recent stable ESH (from the link I posted earlier). This builds a distribution which includes all the latest OH2 bindings (and OH1 bindings as applicable), the OH2 core, and also the ESH core.

The user can mostly ignore the fact that ESH is used here… Maybe I confused matters by referencing it earlier, but I was just trying to point out that updating every 2 days isn’t probably necessary since ESH, which really forms the heart of OH2, isn’t updated quite that often…

(I hope that makes sense :sunglasses:)

Yes - I think this is because there is no OH designer - only the SmartHome designer. I’ve never used Designer, so can’t comment too much here. However since all the raw configuration (items, sitemaps, rules etc) is contained within ESH, only the SmartHome designer is needed I think…

Yes - @xsnrg needs to be update his wonderful script to grab the latest from master. The problem here is that I use a version number in the filename, so this will cause problems… I’ll have a think about how to handle this better, although getting HABmin installable in PaperUI is probably a better approach anyway…

First thank you again for your awesome employment :slightly_smiling: I totally agree that this the best approach. I’m looking forward to extend my addons.cfg in this point:

ui = basic,paper,rest, habmin

Please let me know if i can help with german translations via HABmin-Translator, i’m still a registered user there. Maybe later it’s also possible to contribute german translations to the Z-Wave-Devices?

Sure - I’ve just given you access to edit there as well. The translation app is still quite new, so if you spot any issues, please let me know :slightly_smiling:. In theory, you should simply be able to go through and edit each module - maybe it’s worth a quick check to make sure it’s working ok before spending too much time - just in case there’s a problem :wink:.

I hope so - I keep thinking of ways to do this that will fit in with the way the database works, and also how ESH translation files work… It needs a bit more thought, but I hope this will be possible in the future.

Chris,
I think I have my last unknown node now (no promises :), but most of my house is covered now, just waiting for a couple of sleeping battery nodes).

Node58 Remotec ZXT 120 version 1.0.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1-V_L_iOMcSaUVjNEFlSEFadTg

I guess my other unknown node, 32, did not make it into the nightly build?
(Düwi/Reitz ZW ES 1000 “Flush Mount Switch”) (it’s still unknown)

It should be included -:
http://www.cd-jackson.com/index.php/zwave/zwave-device-database/zwave-device-list/devicesummary/55

Ooops… I forgot to merge the changes last night :frowning:. I was waiting for all the checks to complete, but went to bed and forgot… I’ve now merged it so it will be in tomorrows build.

No worries, I have tons of configurations to do now anyways. :slight_smile:

I added some german translations - we’ll see in on of the next HABmin-Updates if it works.

For some wordings like Item, Binding etc. there is no good translation. Even i don’t know if “Gerät” hits the right german wording for “Things”. Would be interesting to see the translations in PaperUI if they are available …

Thanks - I’ve just pushed an update of the HABmin JAR which (hopefully) has your translations :slightly_smiling:.

Maybe for these sort of ‘concept words’ it’s best that they just use English? Personally, I don’t mind, but it might make more sense?

Let me know if your translations made it through ok…

Thanks.
Chris

Until such a time, the script has been updated to reflect the new location, and the name of the JAR has been moved to a variable at the top section of the script. Enjoy!