Thank you all!

Not the only one. I have lost my entire seedstock this year that I had started early, by planting them may 7… only to be hit by frost 2 nights later. Weeks of work gone and a 6 weeks back lag in my crop

Some pretty good suggestions… a Switch to press when seeding, yes, good suggestion
I currently have a couple of crops in openhab, the ones I plant most, gradually trying to implement the various conditions. Currently already happy with just indicating plant time, but I may try to pull te weatherforecast in it as well. have to find a way to cycle through say 14 days of forcast and see if frost expected. I still have a lot of time till next spring, but the button with postupdate definitely seems an easy addition.

Now all I need is to write a binding to FarmBot and let that take care of everything.

Farming and gardening is the super secret killer app for home automation. :slight_smile:

1 Like

It will depend on what weather service you use and what they provide in their API calls or what binding you use supports. I use the HTTP binding with WeatherUnderground to pull the forecast as JSON. I’ve not tried to use this data yet as anything more than one day in the future is only about 60% accurate. But the way I would handle this would be to follow what I currently do:

• HTTP binding configure with caching of the forecast
  • Items with JSONPATH transforms to extract the relevant information
  • Add the predicted lows to a Group: Group:Number:Min gForecastLows
  • The state of gForecastLows will be the lowest of all the forecast low temps which I can use in my Rules.

You get up to 200 api calls for free per day from WeatherUnderground.

Detailed documentation for it is here.

For what it does that is surprisingly affordable. Beyond my price range but not as much as I expected.

It doesn’t have an API per se, but all the software is open source and it uses MQTT to communicate with its cloud servers so I suspect it would be relatively easy to integrate with OH.

Thanks Rich, Yes, I use WU as well. Initially on stand alone projects from even before I started openHab. I think they go 14 days in the future but yes, reliability is a factor, but, at least the info is there and up to the user to weigh the importance of its.
I have not checked their full JSON lately but if the 14 day forecast is in there indeed should not be too difficult.

I was a bit semi joking on the farmbot, but it is an amazing piece of machinery, kinda like a CNC router but then for plants :slight_smile:
If I had more time I’d built something like that. Didnt realise they used MQTT, that sure opens a lot of perspective.
Most of my ‘farming’ is done on raised beds anyway and farmbot is definitely suited for that. Just got to make sure it doesnt accidentally pierce my chickens

Judging by the number of ‘automatic plant waterer’ projects on the net, automation was solely invented for gardening

1 Like

Alas, their API only supports 10 day:

https://www.wunderground.com/weather/api/d/docs?d=data/forecast10day

But they do provide a day and night forecast for each forecasted day.

Thanks Rich, 10 days or 14 days is arbitrary. Guess looking at night temp should be enough as I guess those would be lowest.
Oh well, no high priority right now but ‘on my list’ :slight_smile:

Hey @Kees_van_Gelder that is what I am currently trying to do :slight_smile:

Its very positive to read about all the great things people did with openhab. So from me as well a big
THANK YOU! the job you have done for the community so far is outrageous!

1 Like

Now THAT would be a very interesting binding :slight_smile:

Thanks for your kind words

1 Like

Hey @Kees_van_Gelder I am currently playing around to communicate with Farmbot via MQTT interface and it works! So no special Farmbot binding needed… are you interested in anything special? :slight_smile:

That is great. I didn’t know that was possible. Only thing I am currently interested in is ho straightforward it is.I do know they have a public server and I know you can install your own server, but does that have its own MQTT broker? or can it be tailored to subscribe to the OpenHab MQTT broker?
I don’t have a Farmbot, but am considering it, would be nice to know what is possible