The APT/RPM 'testing' (Milestone) repository has moved

Raspbian versions follow Debian versions, so jessie is actually ‘oldoldstable’.

https://www.debian.org/releases/

It looks like a fresh install is recommended although I see some people have upgraded the OS.

I’ve not read the full discussion but I can comment on this.

openhabian-config option 2 will perform a full upgrade of all the software on the system but it does not move to the next distro. So if you are on Raspbian stretch and execute that option (which runs sudo apt-get update; sudo apt-get dist-upgrade) it will upgrade to the latest versions of all software for Raspbian stretch.

Buster is not strictly for Raspberry Pi 4s. The RPi 4 will only run buster. But all previous RPi versions can also run buster. I’ve upgraded my RPi 1s, RPi 0Ws, and RPi 3s to buster.

To upgrade to a new Linux distro is a lot riskier and error prone so I suggest a fresh install and rebuild of the SD card instead of an in place upgrade. If you want to take the risk you can try an inplace upgrade. In my experience it worked three times out of five.

grep -rl stretch /etc/apt/ | sudo xargs sed -i 's/stretch/buster/g'
sudo apt update
sudo apt dist-upgrade

It takes a couple of hours on the RPi 0Ws and RPi 1s.

I think there is work going on to make buster the base version when you install openHABian with the SD card image.

1 Like

@rlkoshak They are still on Jessie.

And if you are running jessie, you will have to do an extra step :wink: you’ll have to upgrade to stretch first.

The steps are identical to upgrading from stretch to buster, the only difference is the sed command:

grep -rl jessie /etc/apt/ | sudo xargs sed -i 's/jessie/stretch/g'
2 Likes

Thx for your hint.
I have to say that I’m on “Jessie” with my RPi3b not on “Stretch” as this was what I got for the “Hassle free Installation” when beginning with OH.
So I was astonished about

this info from Bruce. I always thought that the SD-Card-Version only runs with Jessie.

But this was not the original reason of my posting. It was an INFO-Message on Startup after Upgrading to 2.5M2.

which I cannot interpret.

It’s an INFO so it’s not an error. Does everything work?

More or less. Sometimes, after an initial Startup (systemctl stop openhab2, shutdown) it can happen that not all bindings are loaded. But after a restart (systemctl restart openhab2) everything seems to work fine. Only the Info-Message appears.
Therefore I made a workaround with

openhab> log:set warn org.openhab.ui.paper

So I do not get the message anymore. But it’s not real answer of my question (maybe I have to live with it :smirk:)

Hi Udo,
thx for your hint. I will give it a try. As said to Rich I’m using a RPi3b with OH out of the box. And I think Buster will not run on RPi3b, only on RPi4.

Buster will run on Pi3b I am just too lazy right now up upgrade mine from Stretch.

1 Like

:+1: Thx

Is anyone else still getting the unsigned warning in apt?

echo 'deb https://openhab.jfrog.io/openhab/openhab-linuxpkg testing main' | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/openhab2.list
sudo apt update

i run these commands and get apt throws unsigned code warnings and won’t update

edit: Doh…i’m a big idiot… i didn’t see the very big helpful blue sticky from kai to update the apt public key at the top of the forum now its updating… :slight_smile:

It’s the other way… RPi4 needs buster (at least). It’s very unlikely that by upgrading to the next release a computer systems stops working.

Of course you don’t need to upgrade, but as it’s jessie… there won’t be any security fixes anymore, and that’s the whole point of updating the system.
Another point is, your java version is pretty old :slight_smile: 1.8.0_152
I’m not sure about zulu, but I’m on 1.8.221 if I remember correctly. (I’m still using oracle…)
And openHAB tends to be a bit delicate about the exact java version.

Anyway, at least I would upgrade to stretch (no risk at all), maybe wait a month or so, and then upgrade to buster.
Maybe make a clone of your SD card first (always a good idea).
I recently upgraded my home mail server from stretch to buster and damn, there is a unmet dependency, atm I can’t figure out how to get rid of it, surely I did no backup before upgrading… stupid I… :wink:

1 Like

Do as I say, not as I do :wink:

1 Like

@Udo_Hartmann @Bruce_Osborne
Hi guys, thx you are great. I’m just making a clone, and as you said " no risk, no fun":crazy_face: . Further question: How can I upgrade java/zulu ? Can you give me the commands ? And before upgrading to stretch or after ?
Thx in advance

I use openhabian-config and let it do its magic :smiley:

Manual/Fresh Setup and then select te options from there.

1 Like

The risk is significantly higher if you are doing the upgrade on a headless machine through ssh. In that case, a hickup in your network can kill the upgrade right in the middle of it’s operations. Depending on what it was doing when apt was cut off you may be fine or you may have a completely unusable machine and have to go back to the drawing board with a fresh install. I upgrade 5 RPis and two of them crashed mid upgrade and had to be rebuilt from scratch. That wasn’t really a big deal though as it was all scripted.

1 Like

Would nohup or screen have helped mitigate that?

it was really magic but it works.

[21:03:26] hab@openHABianPi:~$ java -version
openjdk version "1.8.0_222"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (Zulu8.40.0.178-CA-linux_aarch32hf) (build 1.8.0_222-b178)
OpenJDK Client VM (Zulu8.40.0.178-CA-linux_aarch32hf) (build 25.222-b178, mixed mode, Evaluation)
[21:03:39] hab@openHABianPi:~$

First step done :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Maybe.

@Udo_Hartmann @Bruce_Osborne @rlkoshak

Last login: Tue Aug 13 22:14:34 2019

###############################################################################
###############  openHABianPi  ################################################
##        Ip = 192.168.178.49
##   Release = Raspbian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch)
##    Kernel = Linux 4.14.77-v7+
##  Platform = Raspberry Pi 3 Model B Rev 1.2
##    Uptime = 0 day(s). 0:0:29
## CPU Usage = 52.79% avg over 4 cpu(s) (4 core(s) x 1 socket(s))
##  CPU Load = 1m: 0.55, 5m: 0.13, 15m: 0.04
##    Memory = Free: 0.61GB (64%), Used: 0.33GB (36%), Total: 0.95GB
##      Swap = Free: 0.09GB (100%), Used: 0.00GB (0%), Total: 0.09GB
##      Root = Free: 23.54GB (84%), Used: 4.45GB (16%), Total: 29.21GB
##   Updates = 0 apt updates available.
##  Sessions = 1 session(s)
## Processes = 124 running processes of 32768 maximum processes

Welcome to            __  _____    ____  _
            ____  ____  ___  ____  / / / /   |  / __ )(_)___ _____
           / __ \/ __ \/ _ \/ __ \/ /_/ / /| | / __  / / __ `/ __ \
          / /_/ / /_/ /  __/ / / / __  / ___ |/ /_/ / / /_/ / / / /
          \____/ .___/\___/_/ /_/_/ /_/_/  |_/_____/_/\__,_/_/ /_/
              /_/
                  openHAB 2.5.0~M2-1 (Milestone Build)

thx to you all for helping. I did what you say (wrote) to me, and of course I did what Rich said.
So this was the first time for my RPI to have 24"-Monitor affiliated (and a keyboard too :smile:).
Upgrade worked and Openhab is running again, so second step also done.
(Third step - Buster - I will upgrade as Udo proposed, in a month or so :wink::upside_down_face::slightly_smiling_face:)
Thx one more time.

Cheers,
Peter

2 Likes