The Bank of Mum and Dad: Pocket Money

Hey all!

This is nothing spectacular but it solves a first world problem that has been bugging us as a family with three kids for a while now. And I thought I’d share my copy & paste solution! :slight_smile:

Like most kids, ours get pocket money. So every week (mostly on weekends) we’d have the same discussion: “Mummy & daddy, you need to give us our pocket money!” Of course, more often than not mummy & daddy would not currently have suitable change. So the matter would be postponed. Again. And again. And again. Until no one really remembered when and how much money was owed or paid.

Enter: Banking a la openHAB!

First I created a couple of .items:

/* Pocket Money */

// Just for neatness
Group PocketMoney "Taschengeld"

// Spoilt brat #1
Number PocketMoneyKid1 "Taschengeld Kind 1 [%.2f EUR]" (PocketMoney)
Switch PocketMoneyKid1Withdraw5 "5 EUR abheben" (PocketMoney) { expire="1s,command=OFF" }
Switch PocketMoneyKid1Withdraw10 "10 EUR abheben" (PocketMoney) { expire="1s,command=OFF" }

// Spoilt brat #2
Number PocketMoneyKid2 "Taschengeld Kind 2 [%.2f EUR]" (PocketMoney)
Switch PocketMoneyKid2Withdraw5 "5 EUR abheben" (PocketMoney) { expire="1s,command=OFF" }
Switch PocketMoneyKid2Withdraw10 "10 EUR abheben" (PocketMoney) { expire="1s,command=OFF" }

// etc...

This basically creates (in this case) two virtual bank accounts and two push buttons for each account to “withdraw” money every time we hand cash to the kids. Note that in order to turn the switches into push buttons I use the expire binding. This must simply be activated via Paper UI. In most installations this is probably already in use anyway.

Second, we need some basic .rules logic to power our poor man’s ATM.

/*
Sugar function that just subtracts the given amount. The Bank of Mum and Dad does
not give out loans, so we make sure the amount stays equal to or above zero.
*/
val Functions$Function2<NumberItem, Integer, Number> withdraw = [ item, amount |
    val oldAmount = item.state as Number
    if (oldAmount < amount) {
        // not enough money
        return oldAmount
    } else {
        return oldAmount - amount
    }
]

/*
Optional:

It makes sense to use the persistence service so the bank does not crash
along with openHAB. A simple mapdb persistence is sufficient. I use a "Switch"
item named PersistenceLoaded that is ON or NULL at the start of the system and
switches to OFF after a couple of seconds to give persistence time to restore
the item values.

After this time has passed I do some initializations should the items still be
initial. In this case I initialize the "bank accounts" with zeroes. Time to start
saving, kids!
*/
rule "Persistence Loaded"
when
    Item PersistenceLoaded changed to OFF
then
    if (PocketMoneyKid1.state == NULL || PocketMoneyKid1.state == UNDEF) {
        PocketMoneyKid1.sendCommand(0)
    }
    // etc.
end

/*
Let's put some money in the bank! I do this every Friday at noon. As for
the initial amount (should there be any): Just use a temporary rule with a
simple postUpdate() one-liner to get things going.
*/
rule "Increment Pocket Money"
when
    Time cron "0 0 12 ? * FRI" //Every Friday at 12
then
    // EUR 2.50 every week
    PocketMoneyKid1.postUpdate((PocketMoneyKid1.state as DecimalType) + 2.5)
    // etc.
end

/*
Our ATM needs push buttons. I know this is a very basic solution. But it serves our purposes.
Feel free to be creative. :-)
*/
rule "Withdraw 5 EUR Kid 1"
when
    Item PocketMoneyKid1Withdraw5 changed to ON
then
    PocketMoneyKid1.postUpdate(
        withdraw.apply(PocketMoneyKid1, 5)
    )
end

rule "Withdraw 10 EUR Kid 1"
when
    Item PocketMoneyKid1Withdraw10 changed to ON
then
    PocketMoneyKid1.postUpdate(
        withdraw.apply(PocketMoneyKid1, 10)
    )
end

The last step is visualisation. I use HABPanel although it is just a matter of exposing the items by some means. My solution looks like this. For every “account” I use one dummy control to display the amount and two button controls to “withdraw” money in either 5 or 10 EUR tiers.

That’s it! No more discussions on how much money is owed. Just keep the item change log files in case the kids decide to take legal action because they feel they weren’t given enough. :wink:

16 Likes

Some comments:

• I would disable the ATM buttons as long as the account doesn’t hold enough to do such a withdraw.

• I would use logInfo lines for each withdraw action and the weekly payment. That way getting all relevant lines would be easy.

I do a similar thing, I have virtual chore switches

vzChoreA1
vzChoreA2…3.4.etc

They are broken into

“A” Morning Chores due before my Son is allowed to play games or internet, etc. These are things like make bed, get dressed, brush teeth, feed animals etc. Once these are completed my Unifi binding will unlock his internet.

“B” Chores are daily chores he needs to do. Once they have been completed, they add 5 minutes to his bed time. He can do these extra chores to adjust his bed time from 8pm to 9pm.

“C” Chores Are weekly chores. Once they are completed he gets $5 added to his Allowance.

When each set of chores are completed, I have Alexa announce the completion. This helped stop him from just clicking DONE to enable his devices. (He’s 7 that’s what kids do)

He has his own Habpanel template which he can access these, and see his bed time, allowance, etc. When he wakes up, Alexa will read him his school schedule (ical binding) and give him an update on how much money he has (we use the term coins)

5 Likes
  1. You’re crazy and did build an over the top solution :+1:
  2. I might have to copy parts of your solution when my daughter gets older :sweat_smile:
1 Like
  1. Yes I’m an engineer, it’s my nature.
  2. My every changing config is public (sometimes TOO public, OPPS sneaky github credentials) so feel free to steal away. https://github.com/dotelpenguin/openhab-conf
1 Like

Hey Jürgen! This definitely sounds like a good idea. To be honest I had thought of this myself and had even checked HABPanel for some kind of “enablement” flag on the switch control. But as far as I know there is no way in HABPanel to conditionally enable or disable switches. So I just settled for “just subtract nothing”. Could you please tell me how disabling the button could be achieved?

I’m sorry, writing this a had only a standard sitemap in mind.

1 Like