The "new" Milight IBox and milight binding

Hey @Andrew_Currie,

This is absolutely intentional that whitemode and nightmode are greyed out, because paperui apparently does not support “triggers” (stateless channels). They should be supported as push buttons, that may come some day. You can still bind them to anything that can be clicked.

Cheers, David

Hey @Duncan_Pullen,

I was about to suggesting this as well, to check with alternative software. For other users the RGBWW seem to work. I could only intercept the iOS app <–>bridge traffic. One thing it definitely does is, it repeats each command, sometimes 3x.

Regards, David

-Link removed-

Changelog:

• Colors are applied differently. Please check if it corresponds to the color wheel / color slider now.
  • Removed the saturation and color temperature channels from the iBox thing.
  • Only allow Decrease/Increase control for the animation speed. The absolute value was always just a fake and used decrease/increase internally. This means that the speed can not be bound to a slider anymore, but a rocker switch works.

I will investigate the problem with the offline things and the not working discovery. I think I have tidied up that part of the code a little too much.

Thanks, David

Hello guys,

i tried to use beta 13 for my ld382 V3 ( https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00Q7STR4E/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza ) but it’s no working. I’m not able to add my ld382 V3 to my Binding.

IP = 192.x.x.x
port = 8899
Bridge ID = ACCF23DF86XX
Protocol Version 0-9

:confused:

Best regards

Had a lot of work last week, so i couldn’t support. It’s great to see how this binding improves. Bad luck, that your recorder isn’t working for me. But maybe some pcap files can help you too?!

ibox int light.pcap.pdf (13.7 KB)

What did i do? I saw that your Color (iBox) doesnt support clean white - maybe because you dont know the right commands for that? So i switched a lot between clean white and red - i think you will get the right command :slight_smile:
Please tell me, if you need more pcap files of certain actions…

Apart from that, the colors for rgbw leds are not what i would expect:
-> red seems a litte bit like pink
-> the more i move the slider to orage, the more pink it gets
-> yellow is something like purple
-> green is blue

-> now the slider stops working, and is only reacting if i start moving it from right to left

-> red seems a litte bit like pink
-> the more i move the slider to purple/pink, the more orange it gets
-> purple is yellow

-> blue isn’t changing anything at all, not moving to it from the left, nor from the right.

I dont know if you know, but inside the milight app, the colors have values:
red: 0
yellow: 50
green: 100
blue: something around 185

between that, there are the gradients from one color to another.

Here is another pcap file containing the traffic of going around the color wheel, ending with sliding up and down brightness and saturation - zone one, with rgbw leds:

colorwheel saturation brightness.pcap.pdf (51.9 KB)

I hope this helps! If you need something special, please let me know!

Hey @m3tatai,

it is a known problem at the moment, that discovery does not work with this beta for protocol Version 6 bridges. I’m not sure about your device, but the “V3” could be a sign for compatibility to the Milight 3.0 app, so it’s indeed a protocol V6 bridge.

Thanks, David

Had a problem making beta13 active, not a number for animation value confirmed beta 13

1. dual white globes rgbww zone 4 fine, brightness switch turns light on/off and colour temp switch goes from warm white to cool white
  2. rgbww globes in rgbww zones 1 and 2 gave the following:
    brightness switch turns the light on/off.
    colour temp switch does warm/cool white, turns colour back to white and also turns animation off.
    the colour slider is still strange and influenced by the two saturation sliders and saturation on/off switch, both saturation sliders need to be to the left to get “full” saturation but sometimes the colour slider appears to do nothing.
  3. ibox colour findings:
    brightness switch turns the light on/off.
    colour temp does nothing so can not go back to white from colour or turn off animation easily.
    colour slider and the 2 saturation sliders plus switch behave in the same odd manner as for rgbww colour.
    animation modes work fine with full colour but the only way to stop animation was to randomly click the colour slider.
    The brightness switch does turn the light off, and when turned back on, the animation continues. The rgbww colour zones do the same and this is fine for an expected behaviour.

Hope this helps you get to the bottom of colour control.

-link removed-

Changelog:

• Synchronize separate saturation and brightness controls when using the color channel.
  • Discovery should work again, please test this.
  • Removed support for milight bridges with the very old V2 protocol. Removed support for the very first RGB bulb.

I plan to release the binding as it is as soon as discovery works.

The remaining bugs will be fixed in subsequent releases, but it is a lot more organized if we use the bug tracker of github instead of this one forum thread and the basic controls for all bulb types are working.

Identified strange behavior is:

• How to get out of the animation mode
  • The set color is not matching the bulb color

Thanks, David

I wasnt able to install this binding. Just replaced the old jar file and tried to install via webinterface, But without success

If you remove the old jar and place this jar (without the pdf suffix) in the addon folder, you do not need to install it with the web interface, it works instantly.

Renamed this files to “org.openhab.binding.milight-2.0.0.jar” and replaced the old file . tried to install and circle is running around , but nothing happend.

Don’t rename the file :wink: It is really a different version and need the different file name. Don’t use the web interface. OH gets notified of file activity and will try to load the addon just after you copied it. But it will fail badly if you have the same binding with different versions in that folder, so watch out to remove the old one. No webinterface necessary.

Oh okay :slight_smile: Thanks for this additional information !
Where do i have to copy this file?
/usr/share/openhab2/addons
or
/var/lib/openhab2/kar/openhab-addons-2.0.0/org/openhab/binding/org.openhab.binding.milight/2.0.0
?
Sorry, i’m new to openhab2 and linux :slight_smile:

It’s currently stored in “/usr/share/openhab2/addons” and it can be used. When i’m back home, i can switch on the bridge and test it :slight_smile:

Thanks for your fast answers and keep up the good work!

EDIT: My LD382 v3 is working with WIFILIGHTS (newest Snapshot) , probably u can get additional ideas :slight_smile:

It should be /usr/share/openhab2/addons for your setup. It would be really neat if you could just drop the file in the webbrowser and OH cares about removing an older version and installs the new version. I’m sure that will come sooner or later. Have a look at the log file of OH, if it picks up the addon (the log will get verbose if a new binding is picked up).

Ah I haven’t read all the posts. The LD382 is a different controller, and does not work with the milight binding. The commands are really different and that controller is supported by WifiLights only (they support all the LD… controllers). I have added that to the readme for the next version of this binding, so that at least others are not getting confused in the first place.

Oh okay. Because u wrote "This led is controlled by the milight addon, not the wifilights binding :slight_smile: " ( https://github.com/openhab/openhab2-addons/issues/1840#issuecomment-277555664 ) . I’m confused right now !

Yup, I thought that it is a rebranded milight controller (there are so many names for them by now), but I double checked and it is not a milight like device. I’m sorry for the confusion.

-link removed-

Changelog:

• [fix] Colors are in sync with the color wheel now. Yellow is a bit off, if the paperUI is used.
  • [fix] Some colors couldn’t be selected. There was a checksum calculation error for some cases. Fixed now.
  • [fix] Readme improvements, more code comments, license headers fixed
  • [feature] Test bridge extended. The official apps can talk to the emulated bridge now and commands can be recorded.

This is the first release candidate. What should work by now is discovery, the iBox bulb, rgbw and rgbww bulbs with (if supported) white mode, night mode, saturation, brightness, color selection, animation mode, automatic IP changed recognition.

If you spot any mistakes or bad wordings in the official readme for this binding, I’m glad to hear about that :slight_smile:

Thank you all for your help to support iBox/iBox2 bridges and bulbs, hopefully the new version of the binding can be released this week already.

Thanks, David

1 Like

No Problem. Thanks for helping me ! :slight_smile:

rc1 is looking good, dual white, rgbww and the ibox light all work, including colour selection. I can even stop iBox animation by just clicking one on the colour bar and the iBox light changes to that colour!

My only concern is in regard to rgbww colour saturation. Not sure if this is your intention but 0% saturation gives the strongest colour, 100% the weakest. Note that for the iBox light, saturation changes have no effect and I found that the Android app S+, S- controls also do not change colour saturation for the iBox.

Thank you for rc1.