The Road Ahead - Reintegrating ESH

Here’s another progress update - we have a governance document!

There are two major parts in it:

1. Rules about code maintenance: I hope these will help to allow people to drive evolution of the different openHAB components in a very self-organising and independent way, while having some common patterns and structures across all the repos.
  2. Introduction of an Architecture Council: For the past 9 years, I have been acting as an BDFL for openHAB. As announced above, I don’t want the project to rely on me as a person, but it should eventually be driven by the community. With the Architecture Council, we now have a group of people serving this purpose. These comprise for the start:
    • @digitaldan and myself as the officially voted representatives of the openHAB Foundation.
    • @ysc as our “UI guru”, since he is the creator of the most popular openHAB UIs HABPanel and HABot as well as our website.
    • @rlkoshak who is the unbeaten champion in answering questions in our forum and who dubs himself rightly as the “openHAB user’s voice”.
    • @wborn as a jack-of-all-trades, who understands deep details in the core, fixes Karaf issues in the distro, provides docker images, etc…

With this in place, we should now be good to go for laying the path for openHAB 3 - exiting times!

24 Likes