The weather binding is not finding layout

I am using OH 1.8.2 that was installed on Ubuntu using apt get

the layout files are in: /etc/openhab/configurations/webapps/weather-data/layouts and yet I get the error that the file cannot be found.

the direct error is:
HTTP ERROR 500

Problem accessing /weather. Reason:

File with weather layout 'example2.html' does not exist, make sure it is in the layouts folder ./webapps/weather-data/layouts

and the webview error is:
2016-12-04 09:12:42.094 [WARN ] [e.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler] - /weather
javax.servlet.ServletException: File with weather layout ‘example2.html’ does not exist, make sure it is in the layouts folder ./webapps/weather-data/layouts

So do I have it in the right directory? or is there some configuration bit that I missed?

I got this to work by linking the weather-data in the /etc tree to the user share tree

sudo ln -s /etc/openhab/configurations/webapps/weather-data /usr/share/openhab/webapps

I am pretty sure this is a temporary fix as there is a lot of things that should be in one tree, the other or both. I am too much a Linux NOOB to know the nuances of this, but it appears that the Ubuntu file tree needs some work.

I remember there being some breaking bugs in the weather binding in the prior to 1.8.3 time frame. Is there a reason you haven’t upgraded to 1.8.3?

I’m sorry… I fumble fingered the version number. It is a brand new install using apt, so yes it is 1.8.3. I now see that there is a link from /usr/share/openhab/configurations -> /etc/openhab/configurations. The would cover some of concerns about where the configuration things are.

The link from /etc/openhab/configurations/webapps/weather-data -> /usr/share/openhab/webapps/weather-data is specifically needed to link the weather-data root directory that is used by the weather addon.