Things uninitialized and bindings disappear after restoring

• Platform information:
    • Hardware: pi4
    • Java Runtime Environment: openjdk 11.0.10
    • openHAB version: 3.0.1
  • Issue of the topic: Binding-related things after restoring configuration uninitialized/deletion stuck/not able to add new things
    After restoring from a backup (via the openhabian-config menu), all z-wave things are uninitialized. If I remove a Thing (by clicking Delete Thing in the UI), the text Removing stays perpetually. If I click Add Thing, the next window says No Bindings (even though bindings are installed)

Have tried:

• uninstalling and installing bindings via the UI
  • uninstalling and installing bindings via the openhab-cli console
  • clearing the cache
  • restarting

Backstory: Had a working installation with a bunch of mostly z-wave devices (80 items; 20 things). Added a new device which was not in the database. Made a backup of my configuration. After seeing the new device was recently added to the database (maybe like 2 weeks ago), attempted to add the snapshot z-wave binding. Upon finding it had dependencies which could not be accommodated under 3.0.1, moved to the milestone branch of 3.1.0. using the openhabian config. Could not get the milestone branch to recognize the z-wave binding (similar behavior to now regarding things/bindings).

You’ve messed with addons.cfg and/or had/got extra files in /addons? I would expect any unwanted consequences of that to show up in your openhab.log at boot time.

Thanks, found an error right at the beginning of openhab.log that pointed me in the right direction