Time Based State Machine [4.0.0.0;4.9.9.9]

Hello,
me again.
The template has gone through wonderfully for the last n days and has worked flawlessly. Today I wanted to adjust that so that Friday_night has a different time than weekdays.
I have added the following entry to ephemeris.cfg (and restart openhab):

country=de
region=th
dayset-weekday=Monday,Tuesday,Wednesday,Thursday,Friday
dayset-weekend=Saturday,Sunday
dayset-friday=Friday
dayset-sunday=Sunday

Then I created these items and assigned the appropriate times to the morning and night time:

DateTime  TZ_Freitag_Nacht  "Freitag Nacht"  <time>  (Tageszeiten) { tsm="NIGHT"[type="dayset",set="friday"] }
DateTime  TZ_Freitag_Morgen "Freitag Morgen" <time>  (Tageszeiten) { tsm="MORNING" [type="dayset",set="friday"] }
DateTime  TZ_Freitag_Tag "Freitag Tag"  <time>  (Tageszeiten) { channel="astro:sun:local:rise#start", tsm="DAY"[type="dayset",set="friday"] }
DateTime  TZ_Freitag_Vorabend "Freita Vorabend"  <time>  (Tageszeiten) { channel="astro:sun:local:civilDusk#start", tsm="TWILIGHT"[type="dayset",set="friday"] }
DateTime  TZ_Freitag_Abend "Freitag Abend"  <time>  (Tageszeiten) { channel="astro:sun:local:set#start", tsm="EVENING"[type="dayset",set="friday"] }

Now Rule spits out error messages again:

2023-09-01 16:52:23.388 [DEBUG] [omation.rules_tools.TimeStateMachine] - Starting state machine in ten seconds...
2023-09-01 16:52:33.416 [DEBUG] [omation.rules_tools.TimeStateMachine] - Validating Item types, Item metadata, and Group membership
2023-09-01 16:52:33.462 [DEBUG] [omation.rules_tools.TimeStateMachine] - TZ_Freitag_Abend is valid
2023-09-01 16:52:33.474 [DEBUG] [omation.rules_tools.TimeStateMachine] - TZ_Freitag_Nacht is valid
2023-09-01 16:52:33.483 [DEBUG] [omation.rules_tools.TimeStateMachine] - TZ_Woche_Vorabend is valid
2023-09-01 16:52:33.492 [DEBUG] [omation.rules_tools.TimeStateMachine] - TZ_Default_Nacht is valid
2023-09-01 16:52:33.501 [DEBUG] [omation.rules_tools.TimeStateMachine] - TZ_Default_Abend is valid
2023-09-01 16:52:33.511 [DEBUG] [omation.rules_tools.TimeStateMachine] - TZ_Woche_Tag is valid
2023-09-01 16:52:33.520 [DEBUG] [omation.rules_tools.TimeStateMachine] - TZ_Woche_Morgen is valid
2023-09-01 16:52:33.529 [DEBUG] [omation.rules_tools.TimeStateMachine] - TZ_Freitag_Vorabend is valid
2023-09-01 16:52:33.538 [DEBUG] [omation.rules_tools.TimeStateMachine] - TZ_Wochenende_Tag is valid
2023-09-01 16:52:33.546 [DEBUG] [omation.rules_tools.TimeStateMachine] - TZ_Woche_Nacht is valid
2023-09-01 16:52:33.551 [DEBUG] [omation.rules_tools.TimeStateMachine] - TZ_Wochenende_Vorabend is valid
2023-09-01 16:52:33.558 [DEBUG] [omation.rules_tools.TimeStateMachine] - TZ_Default_Tag is valid
2023-09-01 16:52:33.564 [DEBUG] [omation.rules_tools.TimeStateMachine] - TZ_Freitag_Tag is valid
2023-09-01 16:52:33.570 [DEBUG] [omation.rules_tools.TimeStateMachine] - TZ_Wochenende_Nacht is valid
2023-09-01 16:52:33.576 [DEBUG] [omation.rules_tools.TimeStateMachine] - TZ_Freitag_Morgen is valid
2023-09-01 16:52:33.582 [DEBUG] [omation.rules_tools.TimeStateMachine] - TZ_Default_Morgen is valid
2023-09-01 16:52:33.588 [DEBUG] [omation.rules_tools.TimeStateMachine] - TZ_Wochenende_Morgen is valid
2023-09-01 16:52:33.593 [DEBUG] [omation.rules_tools.TimeStateMachine] - TZ_Woche_Abend is valid
2023-09-01 16:52:33.599 [DEBUG] [omation.rules_tools.TimeStateMachine] - TZ_Wochenende_Abend is valid
2023-09-01 16:52:33.606 [DEBUG] [omation.rules_tools.TimeStateMachine] - TZ_Default_Vorabend is valid
2023-09-01 16:52:33.622 [INFO ] [omation.rules_tools.TimeStateMachine] - All tsm Items are configured correctly
2023-09-01 16:52:34.021 [DEBUG] [omation.rules_tools.TimeStateMachine] - All tsm Items are configured correctly
2023-09-01 16:52:34.023 [DEBUG] [omation.rules_tools.TimeStateMachine] - Cancelling existing timers
2023-09-01 16:52:34.026 [DEBUG] [omation.rules_tools.TimeStateMachine] - Acquiring today's state start times
2023-09-01 16:52:34.128 [WARN ] [ore.internal.scheduler.SchedulerImpl] - Scheduled job 'ui.ba18028dd1.debounce' failed and stopped
org.graalvm.polyglot.PolyglotException: TypeError: (intermediate value).getMetadata is not a function
	at <js>.:=>(<eval>:161) ~[?:?]
	at <js>.getTodayItems(<eval>:161) ~[?:?]
	at <js>.createTimersGenerator(<eval>:211) ~[?:?]
	at <js>.:=>(/etc/openhab/automation/js/node_modules/openhab_rules_tools/timerMgr.js:66) ~[?:?]
	at com.oracle.truffle.polyglot.PolyglotFunctionProxyHandler.invoke(PolyglotFunctionProxyHandler.java:154) ~[bundleFile:?]
	at jdk.proxy1.$Proxy230.run(Unknown Source) ~[?:?]
	at org.openhab.automation.jsscripting.internal.threading.ThreadsafeTimers.lambda$0(ThreadsafeTimers.java:85) ~[bundleFile:?]
	at org.openhab.core.internal.scheduler.SchedulerImpl.lambda$12(SchedulerImpl.java:189) ~[?:?]
	at org.openhab.core.internal.scheduler.SchedulerImpl.lambda$1(SchedulerImpl.java:88) ~[?:?]
	at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Executors.java:539) ~[?:?]
	at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:264) ~[?:?]
	at java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.run(ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor.java:304) ~[?:?]
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1136) ~[?:?]
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:635) ~[?:?]
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:833) ~[?:?]

If I delete the Friday items, the rule runs correctly again.
What am I doing wrong?

This time the door is occurring in a different place. I’ll have to run some tests and I might need to have you add another logging statement if I can’t reproduce it.

Hello Rich,
first of all thank you very much for the rule-template. It does what it’s supposed to.
But unfortunately it doesn’t work the way I would like it to. It would be nice if a little more “intelligence” found its way into it. You focus on exactly one day and then use a few criteria to decide which time of day should start at what time.
My focus is a little different. I would look what day is today, what day is tomorrow.
If tomorrow is a holiday or weekend, then today is to be taken as night time on the weekend rate. If it is a weekend or holiday and tomorrow is a work day, then the night time of the weekday should be used. Also, I’m missing a check to see if the time for the morning is after the time for the day. Then of course the time of day should not change from day to morning like today.
On weekdays, my morning starts at 5:30 am and turns on appropriate lights. After sunrise, the lighting is switched off again. On the weekend my morning is at 7:30am, sunrise was 6:15am. So 6:15 was switched to day and 7:30 to morning and the lights stayed on.
In my production system, this works with modified scripts from you, but unfortunately not with the TimeStateMachine.
I will now have to learn JS scripting in order to be able to implement my requirements. A home automation system should be able to do something like this by itself.
I am grateful for ideas and am available for tests and brainstorming. :wink:

I went down that path for a bit once. This rule template is already super complicated all things considered. To implement all of these additional requirements would require an overall completely different approach and the complexity in both the template code and the configuration on the end user will explode.

Some considerations:

• how is the rule supposed to know that it’s supposed to pay attention to tomorrow or not? Which “tomorrow’s” are important? How does the end user tell this to the rule?
  • how is the rule supposed to know the order you intend the events to occur and skip one? All it knows now is the date time. It doesn’t know the order of the events outside the date times.

It probably wouldn’t be too complex to start the state machine at noon instead of midnight. But that would potentially be a breaking change. I’d have to think about that.

Hi,
I would integrate an “advanced mode” switch into the template. If this switch is not activated, the template works as before.
If the switch is activated, the times would have to be preprocessed. All times are copied accordingly into the default items and the template now only works with the times of the default items.
Copying and sorting from weekday and weekend in default will be the challenge.

I’ll check if the template works reliably when only the default items are present. If this works, I’ll build a script that copies the times into the items according to my wishes. Then you wouldn’t have to change anything.
If all this doesn’t work properly, I’ll try to port my current script to JS scripting.
Many thanks for your effort.

PS
Can you please post me an example of items.replace related to TSM? I’d like to try something, but I’m failing because of the meta data for the TSM items.
Or how can I change the value tsm=“DAY” to tsm=“MORNING” and vice versa using JS script? That would help me a lot.
Thank you very much.

One challenge that occurred to me is you can’t really rely on any datetimes from Astro for tomorrow. Astro only calculates the times for the current day around midnight. So that has to be taken into account too. Especially as one gets closer to the poles, the difference in sunrise/sunset from day to day can be significant.

See Expire Updater [4.0.0.0;4.9.9.9] only you’ll use tsm instead of expire.

However based on what you describe you don’t need that. Just have the one set of default Items and in your rule update their states. Leave the metadata alone.

Thank you. I would like to adjust the metadata if the morning time is after the daytime.
I’m currently building the script, which inserts the times into the default items according to my requirements. It is then checked whether the morning time is later than the day time. If so, tsm should be set to day, otherwise to morning. Then your TSM will be executed with the default values. Let’s see if that works.

With the metadata it would/could work.
Sunrise sets the time of day to day for me. The morning time sets the time of day to morning (week 05:30 and weekend 07:30). How can I prevent the morning status of the time of day from being/can be set after the day status?
Idea 1:
If the time for morning is later than the time for day, then set the metadata for morning to Day_Late and include that value in the evaluation script that starts the actions by time of day, or
Idea 2:
Set the time for morning to 2s before the time for the day and build a timer of 5s into the evaluation rule, which prevents unnecessary actions.

What would be the better approach for you?

This is my Rule for idea 2 for the weekend-test :wink:

var RuleName = 'Zeiten';
var debugLevel = 2;

console.loggerName = 'org.openhab.automation.rules.' + RuleName;

if (debugLevel == 1 )
  {
    osgi.getService('org.apache.karaf.log.core.LogService').setLevel(console.loggerName, 'DEBUG');
  }
else if ( debugLevel == 2)
  {
    osgi.getService('org.apache.karaf.log.core.LogService').setLevel(console.loggerName, 'TRACE');
  }
else
  {
    osgi.getService('org.apache.karaf.log.core.LogService').setLevel(console.loggerName, 'INFO');
  }  

console.debug("***** Rule '" + RuleName + "' gestartet *****");

if (actions.Ephemeris.isBankHoliday() == true) {
  console.debug('Heute ist Feiertag');
  items.TZ_Default_Morgen.postUpdate(items.TZ_Wochenende_Morgen.state.toString());
}
else if (actions.Ephemeris.isWeekend() == true) {
  console.debug('Heute ist Wochenende');
  items.TZ_Default_Morgen.postUpdate(items.TZ_Wochenende_Morgen.state.toString());
}
else {
  console.debug('Heute ist ein Wochentag');
  items.TZ_Default_Morgen.postUpdate(items.TZ_Woche_Morgen.state.toString());
}
if (actions.Ephemeris.isBankHoliday(1) == true) {
  console.debug('Morgen ist Feiertag');
  items.TZ_Default_Nacht.postUpdate(items.TZ_Wochenende_Nacht.state.toString());
}
else if (actions.Ephemeris.isWeekend(1) == true) {
  console.debug('Morgen ist Wochenende');
  items.TZ_Default_Nacht.postUpdate(items.TZ_Wochenende_Nacht.state.toString());
}
else {
  console.debug('Morgen ist ein Wochentag');
  items.TZ_Default_Nacht.postUpdate(items.TZ_Woche_Nacht.state.toString());
}

var Morgen = items.TZ_Default_Morgen.state;
var Tag = items.TZ_Default_Tag.state;

if (time.toZDT(Morgen).isAfterTime(time.toZDT(Tag))) {
  console.debug('Morgen-Zeit ist nach Sonnenaufgang');
  var NewTime=time.toZDT(Tag).MinusSeconds(3);
  items.TZ_Default_Morgen.postUpdate(NewTime.toString);
  console.debug('Setze neue Morgen-Zeit auf : ' + NewTime.toString());
}
else {
  console.debug('Morgen-Zeit ist vor Sonnenaufgang')
}

console.debug("***** Rule '" + RuleName + "' beendet *****");

There could be other options too.

• set the config of the Astro Channel so that Channel that’s linked to the DAY Items with an “earliest” and “latest” properties to prevent it from occurring before the MORNING event (probably doesn’t work in this specific use case but it can work in others)

• Handle the MORNING state in some other rule based on some other event. For example, I don’t have MORNING in my Time State Machine Items. I have a separate rule that is triggered by my alarm time and it will only set the state to MORNING if it’s appropriate to do so (i.e. current state is BED or NIGHT). No alarm or if it’s after DAY, there will be no MORNING state in the first place.

I might suggest that handling MORNING outside the state machine rule might be the easiest approach over all.

One of my overall philosophies for rule templates is that these are merely building blocks. Many of them don’t even do anything useful on their own and depend on some custom script that gets called to do the actual work.

Maybe this could be a similar case. Let this template handle most of the time states but because MORNING is complicated, just move that into a separate rule. Writing a rule that handles MORNING independently is easier than trying to change metadata or adjust the DateTime Item’s states on the fly.

Here is my MORNING state rule:

configuration: {}
triggers:
  - id: "2"
    configuration:
      thingUID: mqtt:topic:broker:sleepasandroid
      event: alarm_alert_start
      channelUID: mqtt:topic:broker:sleepasandroid:event
    type: core.ChannelEventTrigger
conditions:
  - inputs: {}
    id: "3"
    configuration:
      type: application/javascript
      script: |-
        var curr = items.TimeOfDay.state;

curr == 'NIGHT' || curr == 'BED'
    type: script.ScriptCondition
actions:
  - inputs: {}
    id: "1"
    configuration:
      type: application/javascript;version=ECMAScript-2021
      script: >-
        var { Deferred } = require('openhab_rules_tools');

var hour = time.toZDT().hour();

var currToD = items.TimeOfDay.state;

console.debug('Current ToD = {} Current Hour = {}', currToD, hour);

// Puppy lights

if(currToD == 'NIGHT' || time.toZDT().isBefore(time.toZDT('04:45'))) {
          console.info("The alarm went off and it's night time, turning on the lights for five minutes");
          items.TOD_Lights_ON_MORNING.sendCommand('ON');
          Deferred().defer('TOD_Lights_ON_MORNING', 'OFF', 'PT5M', true);
        }

// MORNING TIME

else if(currToD == 'BED'){
          console.info('Good morning!');
          items.TimeOfDay.sendCommand('MORNING');
        }

// Should never reach this becuase of the rule template

else {
          console.warn("The alarm went off but it's not BED or NIGHT")
        }
    type: script.ScriptAction

It’s a little more complex than it needs to be because when I wrote I we had a puppy who needed to go out to potty in the middle of the night so I’d only keep the lights on for five minutes instead of transitioning to MORNING in those cases. I don’t need that anymore and probably should remove it.

Without that logic it’s a simple one-liner to send MORNING to TimeOfDay. The Condition handles making sure it only sends MORNING when it’s appropriate (i.e. not when it’s already DAY.

The rule template already has a timer built in so that it waits for it’s Items to stop updating before actually running. This ensures, for example, that when Astro updates all its Items around midnight the rule doesn’t run more than once all the way through.

Be careful setting the log level every time a rule runs. If another rule happens to be setting it’s level at the same time you can end up with an empty log4j2.xml file.

This seems awfully convoluted. Why create a separate “debugLevel” with an if/else if and not just set the logging level directly?

There is an implicit variable ruleUID which is the unique identifier for the rule. It’s often more useful to use that because you can actually search for that on the Rules and Scripts pages in MainUI.

You don’t need to have == true. If the function returns true the == true is understood.

You don’t need to call toString() on .state, it’s already a String.

I prefer a 1-2-3 structure for code like this.

// 1. determine if there is anything to do, in this case always do the steps

// 2. calculate what to do
var dayType = 'Woche';
if(actions.Ephemeris.isBankHolidaty() || actions.Ephemeris.isWeekend()) {
  dayType =  = 'Wochenende';
}

// 3. do it
items.TZ_Default_Morgen.postUpdate(items['TZ_'+dayType+'_Morgen'].state);
items.TZ_Default_Nacht.postUpdate(items['TZ_'+dayType+'_Nacht'].state);

You just potentially updated this Item. It might not yet have become the updated state yet.

The whole script as I would write it…

// By default the logger name will be `org.openhab.automation.rules.ruleUID`

// Uncomment and change the level to change the logging level. Comment back out  after the rule runs.
// osgi.getService('org.apache.karaf.log.core.LogService').setLevel(console.loggerName, 'DEBUG'); 

console.debug("***** Rule '" + ruleUID + "' gestartet *****");

// 1. Determine if there is anything to do
// Often it's appropriate to add this part as a script condition to the rule

// 2. Calculate what to do
var dayType = 'Woche';
if(actions.Ephemeris.isBankHolidaty() || actions.Ephemeris.isWeekend()) {
  dayType =  = 'Wochenende';
}

var morningTime = time.toZDT(items['TZ_'+dayType+'_Morgen]); // converts Item to ZDT
var dayTime = time.toZDT(items['TZ_Default_Tag']);
if(morningTime.isAfter(dayTime)) {
  console.debug('Morgen-Zeit ist nach Sonnenaufgang');
  morningTime = dayTime.minusSeconds(3);
  console.debug('Setze neue Morgen-Zeit auf : ' + morningTime.toString());
}
else {
  console.debug('Morgen-Zeit ist vor Sonnenaufgang');
}

// 3. Do it
items.TZ_Default_Nacht.postUpdate(items['TZ_'+dayType+'_Nacht].state);
items.TZ_Default_Morgen.postUpdate(morningTime.toString());

console.debug("***** Rule '" + ruleUID + "' beendet *****");

Hi, thank you very much for your very interesting input. I will take your suggestions and modify the rules accordingly. Especially when I see how much shorter and clearer your code is. I will remove the morning time from the TSM and set the timer for it according to my requirements using a separate rule.
Thank you again for your patience.

I am getting the following error when the rule executes.

2023-10-04 20:01:34.032 [DEBUG] [omation.rules_tools.TimeStateMachine] - All tsm Items are configured correctly
2023-10-04 20:01:34.034 [DEBUG] [omation.rules_tools.TimeStateMachine] - Cancelling existing timers
2023-10-04 20:01:34.038 [DEBUG] [omation.rules_tools.TimeStateMachine] - Acquiring today’s state start times
2023-10-04 20:01:34.664 [WARN ] [ore.internal.scheduler.SchedulerImpl] - Scheduled job ‘ui.TOD_Rule.debounce’ failed and stopped
org.graalvm.polyglot.PolyglotException: TypeError: (intermediate value).getMetadata is not a function

What does it mean?

If you look above someone else had a similar problem which was caused by including the TineOfDay String Item into the TimesOfDay Group.

However, I added additional checking to test for that since then. Are you running with the latest OHRT?

I do not have the string in the TimesOfDay group.

I have update the openhab-js and the openhab_rules_tools below is the versions I am running.

It would not work at all until I got the helper packages update.

{
  "dependencies": {
    "openhab": "^4.6.0",
    "openhab_rules_tools": "^2.0.3"
  }
}

Any other thoughts?

This is the log from the last manual run.

2023-10-05 13:11:23.229 [DEBUG] [omation.rules_tools.TimeStateMachine] - Starting state machine in ten seconds...
2023-10-05 13:11:33.280 [DEBUG] [omation.rules_tools.TimeStateMachine] - Validating Item types, Item metadata, and Group membership
2023-10-05 13:11:33.487 [DEBUG] [omation.rules_tools.TimeStateMachine] - Default_Bed is valid
2023-10-05 13:11:33.527 [DEBUG] [omation.rules_tools.TimeStateMachine] - Holiday_Afternoon is valid
2023-10-05 13:11:33.560 [DEBUG] [omation.rules_tools.TimeStateMachine] - Default_Afternoon is valid
2023-10-05 13:11:33.587 [DEBUG] [omation.rules_tools.TimeStateMachine] - Holiday_Evening is valid
2023-10-05 13:11:33.612 [DEBUG] [omation.rules_tools.TimeStateMachine] - Weekend_Night is valid
2023-10-05 13:11:33.633 [DEBUG] [omation.rules_tools.TimeStateMachine] - Default_Day is valid
2023-10-05 13:11:33.660 [DEBUG] [omation.rules_tools.TimeStateMachine] - Weekend_Afternoon is valid
2023-10-05 13:11:33.682 [DEBUG] [omation.rules_tools.TimeStateMachine] - Weekend_Bed is valid
2023-10-05 13:11:33.697 [DEBUG] [omation.rules_tools.TimeStateMachine] - Weekend_Evening is valid
2023-10-05 13:11:33.708 [DEBUG] [omation.rules_tools.TimeStateMachine] - Default_Evening is valid
2023-10-05 13:11:33.719 [DEBUG] [omation.rules_tools.TimeStateMachine] - Default_Morning is valid
2023-10-05 13:11:33.729 [DEBUG] [omation.rules_tools.TimeStateMachine] - Weekend_Morning is valid
2023-10-05 13:11:33.741 [DEBUG] [omation.rules_tools.TimeStateMachine] - Trash_Evening is valid
2023-10-05 13:11:33.752 [DEBUG] [omation.rules_tools.TimeStateMachine] - Trash_Afternoon is valid
2023-10-05 13:11:33.763 [DEBUG] [omation.rules_tools.TimeStateMachine] - Default_Night is valid
2023-10-05 13:11:33.779 [DEBUG] [omation.rules_tools.TimeStateMachine] - Trash_Morning is valid
2023-10-05 13:11:33.800 [DEBUG] [omation.rules_tools.TimeStateMachine] - Trash_Bed is valid
2023-10-05 13:11:33.819 [DEBUG] [omation.rules_tools.TimeStateMachine] - Holiday_Bed is valid
2023-10-05 13:11:33.838 [DEBUG] [omation.rules_tools.TimeStateMachine] - Holiday_Morning is valid
2023-10-05 13:11:33.854 [DEBUG] [omation.rules_tools.TimeStateMachine] - Holiday_Day is valid
2023-10-05 13:11:33.867 [DEBUG] [omation.rules_tools.TimeStateMachine] - Trash_Trashtime is valid
2023-10-05 13:11:33.877 [DEBUG] [omation.rules_tools.TimeStateMachine] - Holiday_Night is valid
2023-10-05 13:11:33.888 [DEBUG] [omation.rules_tools.TimeStateMachine] - Weekend_Day is valid
2023-10-05 13:11:33.900 [DEBUG] [omation.rules_tools.TimeStateMachine] - Trash_Night is valid
2023-10-05 13:11:33.915 [DEBUG] [omation.rules_tools.TimeStateMachine] - Trash_Day is valid
2023-10-05 13:11:33.930 [INFO ] [omation.rules_tools.TimeStateMachine] - All tsm Items are configured correctly
2023-10-05 13:11:36.114 [DEBUG] [omation.rules_tools.TimeStateMachine] - All tsm Items are configured correctly
2023-10-05 13:11:36.116 [DEBUG] [omation.rules_tools.TimeStateMachine] - Cancelling existing timers
2023-10-05 13:11:36.117 [DEBUG] [omation.rules_tools.TimeStateMachine] - Acquiring today's state start times
2023-10-05 13:11:36.500 [WARN ] [ore.internal.scheduler.SchedulerImpl] - Scheduled job 'ui.TOD_Rule.debounce' failed and stopped
        at <js>.:=>(<eval>:160) ~[?:?]
        at <js>.getTodayItems(<eval>:160) ~[?:?]
        at <js>.createTimersGenerator(<eval>:210) ~[?:?]
        at <js>.:=>(/etc/openhab/automation/js/node_modules/openhab_rules_tools/timerMgr.js:66) ~[?:?]

That doesn’t really tell me what version is installed. But it’s a pretty good indication you have the latest release since that’s 2.0.3.

I’m on my phone and won’t be back on a computer for a few days. Can you open the Script Action and tell me what line 160 is?

I think it’s the line that starts with

{ 'type': 'dayset'

If so I think there is a bug on that line. Change “items.getMetadata” to “item.getMetadata”.

That’s something I need to fix anyway but it might but be your error.

This is the line

{ 'type': 'dayset',  'times' : getItemsOfType('dayset').filter(item => actions.Ephemeris.isInDayset(items.getMetadata()[NAMESPACE].configuration['set'])) },

I changed the code based on your suggestion and it appears to work.

2023-10-05 14:00:31.175 [DEBUG] [omation.rules_tools.TimeStateMachine] - All tsm Items are configured correctly
2023-10-05 14:00:31.175 [DEBUG] [omation.rules_tools.TimeStateMachine] - Cancelling existing timers
2023-10-05 14:00:31.176 [DEBUG] [omation.rules_tools.TimeStateMachine] - Acquiring today's state start times
2023-10-05 14:00:31.997 [INFO ] [omation.rules_tools.TimeStateMachine] - Today is a default day.
2023-10-05 14:00:31.999 [DEBUG] [omation.rules_tools.TimeStateMachine] - Creating timers for times that have not already passed
2023-10-05 14:00:32.572 [DEBUG] [omation.rules_tools.TimeStateMachine] - Creating timer for Evening at 2023-10-05T16:43-04:00
2023-10-05 14:00:32.673 [DEBUG] [omation.rules_tools.TimeStateMachine] - Creating timer for Night at 2023-10-05T18:42-04:00
2023-10-05 14:00:32.740 [DEBUG] [omation.rules_tools.TimeStateMachine] - Creating timer for Bed at 2023-10-05T22:00-04:00
2023-10-05 14:00:32.847 [INFO ] [omation.rules_tools.TimeStateMachine] - The current state is Afternoon

1 Like

Thanks for your help

Hi @rlkoshak ,

Upgrade to 4.1M2 from 4.1M1 reverts a problem we discussed in March, Time Based State Machine gives the error:

2023-10-09 23:06:36.576 [WARN ] [omation.rules_tools.TimeStateMachine] - require TimerMgr instead of timerMgr and use TimerMgr() instead of new timerMgr.TimerMgr().
2023-10-09 23:06:36.595 [ERROR] [b.automation.script.javascript.stack] - Failed to execute script:
org.graalvm.polyglot.PolyglotException: Error: "2023-10-09T23:06:46.582+02:00[SYSTEM]" is an unsupported type for conversion to time.ZonedDateTime

With 4.1M1 there is no error and downgrade from 4.1M2 resolves the issue for me.
Additionally, there is a warning in both releases in the first line above but I don’t expect it’s crucial to the error.
I don’t know if the warning appeared after upgrade or existed before and I wasn’t aware of it.
The warning remains after downgrade but your rule runs with no error.
I tried to resolve the issue by upgrading openhab_rules_tools so maybe this caused the warning to appear.

I use rule template from marketplace.
I’ve upgraded and downgraded OH several times to confirm.

1 Like

The first warning is what I would expect to see. I changed how the TimerMgr is imported in the latest version of OHRT. You can ignore that warning.

Please post the full stack trace so I can confirm which lines are throwing the error. Also please post that line and the lines around it so I can confirm it’s running with the latest version of the template.

Please confirm your JS Scripting add-on settings and version. From a scratchpad script run:

var {helpers} = require('openhab_rules_tools');
console.info('openhab-js version: ' + utils.OPENHAB_JS_VERSION);
console.info('OHRT version: ' + helpers.OHRT_VERSION);

Watch the logs and report what versions of the library you are running.

Thanks for quick reply.
I’ve resolved the error in the meantime by reinstalling JavaScripting and TSM rule so above code gives following logs:

2023-10-10 19:08:10.293 [INFO ] [nhab.automation.script.ui.scratchpad] - openhab-js version: 4.5.1
2023-10-10 19:08:10.294 [INFO ] [nhab.automation.script.ui.scratchpad] - OHRT version: 2.0.3

Now I have no error or warning so sorry for false alert.

I have some problems with Add-ons UI, featured add-ons in the Store Automation group are doubled. In case of JavaScripting one of the doubled is installed and second is for adding. If I try to remove this installed, Install pop-up appear and do something but don’t remove anything or reinstall suppose. The second add-on remains for adding state even after install. I tried different browsers so I don’t think that is cache related problem. 4.1M1 behaves the same.

Thanks and have good one