Tipps: Pi4 boot from SSD

Some months ago the situation was different, that’s the reason I have opened this tipp

Hey Boris,
my comment is aimed at markus’ statement that there needs to be some coding, PR, etc. I think that needs to be explained in more detail.
I am absolutely with you.

Dear all,

just an outside perspective: I would like to use an RPi 4 for the next flat I’ll move to.

I read that SD card wear can be quite an issue (which luckily I never experienced) - so would it be beneficial to run the system from an SSD? Or is this completely resolved by the ZRAM feature for the future?

I only can recommend to use a SSD cause the pi4 is just really quick and of course the SSD is recommended, I use a bit bigger SSD cause the pi4 is offering a gigabit port and I added there one Samba partition for a simple NAS functionality.
That is perfect and absolutely stable and acceptable fast.
Openhab comes with Samba activated so no doubt that openhab and a Samba NAS is stable and I can tell you I never had any trouble using both.
I am a fan of using hardware not for one purpose only. It consumes energy and is fully capable to serve a bit more as openhab only.
The pi4 using latest firmware, openhab 2.5 and the Samba NAS keeps under 40 degrees without active cooling:-}
So go ahead using the SSD and add some more functionality e.g. the NAS.
SSDs are so cheap I don’t even understand why using a risky SD card at all

Definitely SSD. Setup and reboots are so much faster. You don’t even need to care about ZRAM - just uninstall it. On the other hand you need to take care about trimming your SSD from time to time.

With the eeprom update boot from USB/SSD is supported by Raspbian. I just connected my ssd and copied the data using the tool “SD Card Copier” (package “piclone”). Removed the SD-card, reboot, done. Would have done that much earlier, quite simple.