Without a lot more detail about your setup, the only help possible will be wild ass guesses. Please read:

On what OS are you hosting Docker? How are you starting your OH container? Copies of relevant files, like your startup script will be useful (don’t post them without code fences!). UIDs/GIDs on your host system? …

I should have explicitly asked for directory/file ownership and permissions for your various openhab_* volumes specified in your docker startup script.

What about the command you entered to start your OH container? Also, did you do this to ensure your openhab* volumes exist before invoking docker run .....?

As an example of Docker container creation and startup, my bash startup script looks like this:

#!/bin/bash

if [ $# -lt 1 ]; then
  OH_TAG="2.5.0-snapshot-amd64-debian"
else
  OH_TAG="$1"
fi

ZIGBEE_TTY=`readlink -f /dev/ttyUSBzigbee`

docker run \
    --name openhab \
    --tty=true \
    --net=host \
    --device=${ZIGBEE_TTY} \
    -v /etc/localtime:/etc/localtime:ro \
    -v /home/openhab/oh/timezone:/etc/timezone:ro \
    -v /home/openhab/oh/openhab_addons:/openhab/addons \
    -v /home/openhab/oh/openhab_conf:/openhab/conf \
    -v /home/openhab/oh/openhab_userdata:/openhab/userdata \
    --env="EXTRA_JAVA_OPTS=-Duser.timezone=America/Denver -Dgnu.io.rxtx.SerialPorts=${ZIGBEE_TTY} -Xbootclasspath/a:/openhab/conf/automation/jython/jython-standalone-2.7.0.jar -Dpython.home=/openhab/conf/automation/jython -Dpython.path=/openhab/conf/automation/lib/python" \
    --env="OPENHAB_HTTP_PORT=8080" \
    --env="OPENHAB_HTTPS_PORT=8443" \
    --env="USER_ID=1000" \
    --env="GROUP_ID=1000" \
    -d \
    --restart=always \
    openhab/openhab:${OH_TAG}

It would still be useful to see your actual docker run command line, perhaps there is something there that you just don’t see because you’ve been poring over it for some time now? In my experience another, fresh set of eyes never hurts.

Also, what about ownership and permissions of your openhab* volumes? From my system:

[openhab@casabot ~]$ fgrep openhab /etc/passwd
openhab:x:1000:1000:OpenHAB User:/home/openhab:/bin/bash
[openhab@casabot ~]$ ls -ld /home/openhab/oh/{timezone,openhab_addons,openhab_conf,openhab_userdata}
drwxrwxr-x.  2 openhab openhab   6 Jan  8 12:44 /home/openhab/oh/openhab_addons
drwxr-xr-x. 15 openhab openhab 216 Feb 12 10:51 /home/openhab/oh/openhab_conf
drwxr-xr-x. 13 openhab openhab 179 Feb 12 10:36 /home/openhab/oh/openhab_userdata
-rw-rw-r--.  1 openhab openhab  15 Jan  8 13:11 /home/openhab/oh/timezone

Reviving this because it is a very prominent google hit for the error message and I could not find an answer anywhere else… just experienced it with OH3 latest snapshot.

For me this exact same error message occurred because I was lazy and passed in

-v /home/openhab/oh:/openhab \

instead of

-v /home/openhab/oh/openhab_addons:/openhab/addons \
-v /home/openhab/oh/openhab_conf:/openhab/conf \
-v /home/openhab/oh/openhab_userdata:/openhab/userdata \

because I thought that it is okay to just use one folder mount if I don’t want to change the subfolder mounts seperately.

Appears I was completely wrong and it very much does matter for the script :wink:

1 Like

same thing just happened to me, haha. Thanks mate!