Torque OBDII Vehicle integration

Hmm. I surely have to try this… The cost is very low, (I thought a ODB2 reader was expencive).

I have seen Tasker mentioned quite a few times. I have no idea what it is.

It’s like openHAB for your Android phone. Events or states occur on your phone (e.g. WiFi is near) and it performs tasks (e.g. send the contents of the Torque log files to openHAB using an HTTP call).

To give one of my more complicated examples:

In the morning when I turn on my car Tasker sees I’ve connected to the BT in the car:

• If I’m home, bring up a dialog asking if I want to open the garage, if yes issue a command to openHAB to open the garage
  • record the current brightness of the screen
  • turn off auto brightness
  • set the brightness of the screen to 200 if it’s day time, 157 if it’s night time
  • turn off the display timeout
  • bring up a menu asking which audio app I want to start playing and start playback on the selected app
  • if I’m home, bring up Waze and start navigation to work, if I’m at work and it’s afternoon bring up Waze and navigate to home (I used to scrape the display and send my ETA as a text to my wife), otherwise just bring up Waze.
  • If at home, bring up the dialog to close the garage and if selected trigger OH to close the garage.

When the phone disconnects, it restores the brightness, stops the playback after backing up 30 seconds, and closes everything down.

Just took a quick look at it…
Do you use the addon AutoTools as well as Tasker to perform the complicated example or just Tasker?

Yes, I use AutoLocation, AutoInput, AutoNotifications, and AutoRemote for some things.

I use AutoLocation for the geofencing though that may be built into Tasker now (I’ve been a Tasker user since it was in beta and haven’t kept up with everything) and there are other approaches like cell tower near and wifi near that may work better for you.

I used AutoInput for scraping the ETA from Waze when I used that.

I use AutoInput, AutoNotifications, and AutoRemote for controlling some of the media apps. Some apps are nice like PocketCasts and provide intents so they can be controlled natively. Others like Audible and Chirp do not.

• AutoInput controls Audible, Librivox, and Smart Audiobook Reader
  • AutoNotifications controls Chirp
  • AutoRemote controls Google Play Music

I simply have to give it a try. It sounds awesome in many ways. Specially to runtine to get it to open the garagedoor, when the engine starts… Thats an awesome idea.
And If I can get it to dump the data from the odb2 scanner it should work for local (LAN) only…

A few concerns though related to Torque.
How many BT connections can a mobilephone handle at the same time. I already got the phone connected to my radio in the car using BT. It´s also connected through USB (for Android Auto use).
I have ordered the odb2 scanner (yesterday) so I guess I´ll know within a coupple of days :grinning:

The default is two. There is a developer options in Android P or later where you can raise that up to 5.