TP-Link Kasa on an internal WiFi network

Considering tp-link has gone completely big brother with their latest app update python-kasa is the best option for configuring kasa devices for local-only operation.

What does this mean? I don’t recall there ever being a “local-only” setup for Kasa devices, and I’ve had them pretty much since they launched. It’s always been a case of setting them up with a Kasa account, then denying them Internet access and connecting to them locally with openHAB’s Kasa binding.

Previously the Kasa app allowed a person to SKIP setting up a Kasa cloud account and provided a method to setup devices for local-only use.

TP-Link in a recent release removed that ability forcing people to sign up for a Kasa cloud account.

python-kasa has stayed the execution that tp-link has sentenced it’s paying customers to.

Interesting. Can’t say I ever noticed. I’d still rather just use the Kasa binding, but to each their own.

That’s a little dramatic. The vast majority of their customers benefit from the free cloud services that they provide, and no one’s forcing us to buy or use TP-Link devices. There are lots of other choices out there for people who don’t want to use cloud services.

I get why it feels constricting to people who are capable of setting up openHAB or using Python, but we’re a tiny niche audience with more technical expertise than your average consumer. If a small fraction of your audience is using a feature, it’s reasonable to cut the feature to avoid wasting valuable time on it (and in the case of software, avoid it becoming a security issue in the future). We’ve all been faced with this kind of decision in our professional lives.

That is true BUT I purchased my Kasa devices AFTER contacting TP-link to verify what devices could be SETUP and CONTROLLED via local-only WITHOUT a cloud account.

If I did not have the ability to use python-kasa then a handful of device that I have not setup yet would be headed to the dump.

I’m not sure I understand. Does this mean kasa aren’t controlled directly anymore and must go through the cloud api to be controlled?

Nope, nothing has changed in openHAB. You need a TP-Link account to log into the Kasa app. After you’ve set up the device on your network, you can deny it Internet access.

ok great, I was afraid cause i just bought 30 devices from TP-Link for my renovation (and also replacing old unreliable wemo) and I’m outside the return period.

No this is not best way to connect this or any IoT smart home devices and/or cameras. Most of these (Even if they say they can do either 2.4Ghz AND/OR 5ghz…They are WRONG).

If sounds like you have a double band modem/router. If this is the case you need to do a temporary steer to the 2.4Ghz ONLY while you connect your device.

I work with issues all day like this at work. I hope someone finds this info helpful. :slight_smile:

Are you answering to me?

That might be a spambot post.