Track SD Card health / RPi status

Seems an overly complex set up. If the UPS supports NUT (which is a big if), you can set up the RPi to get an alert when the power is lost and it’s running on battery and shut itself down. Even if the UPS doesn’t support NUT, it often will have it’s own software that does the same thing.

1 Like

UPS batteries are generally good for 3-5 years, so if you get a used one then you may just be buying a nearly dead battery. A new, low-end UPS with a USB port will cost you somewhere between $60-100, which is worthwhile to protect your RPi and other servers.

I also have next-to-no Linux experience, which is why I wrote the beginner’s guide I linked to earlier. It was half to help others, and half to help me do it again in the future. :wink:

If the goal is only to help new openHABian users get NUT working, then I think it would be enough to have a default configuration of a standalone, locally controlled UPS. Perhaps there could be some fill-in options in a config popup:

• Driver (e.g. USBHID-UPS)
  • UPS name
  • Shutdown timer

For anything more advanced, the user could make their own changes after the installation.

I’d also suggest making this change in the default monitor settings to account for CyberPower. I don’t think it would negatively impact any other devices. Alternatively, it could be a fill-in field in a popup.

I was surprised to see that someone has revived NUT and put out a new release in April. Hopefully they’ll reduce the complexity in future updates.

1 Like