Tradfri binding loses connection after Power failure / gateway reboot

Dear all,

IKEA published a brand new firmware, v1.8.25, especially with improved HomeKit connection, see e.g.

https://stadt-bremerhaven.de/ikea-tradfri-homekit-update-wird-global-verteilt-smarte-steckdosen-werden-nun-unterstuetzt/ (sorry, German only)

Has someone received the update? Does it resolve the issue?

Thank you…

Hi guys, I had the same problem, but it appears to be solved by entering the security code in “pre-shared security key” (“show more”). Hope that helps!

Cheers,
Wouter

1 Like

You can also disable / enable the tradfri gateway ‘thing’. It’s the clock picture on the right of the thing.

I had to wait for a few minutes. But all is online again

I have recently done a hard reset (with a pin) of my Ikea Gateway following the 1.8.25 firmware disaster.
I have added just 1 E27 CT bulb and 1 5-button remote.
OH2 still fails to re-connect after a restart.
The state of this issue makes for a very unstable experience and it has been like this for many months now.
I see the same on a second site I run.
My solution is ditching the Ikea Gateway all together opting for this solution instead.

T@OMR I find it interesting the mixed results people have. Makes me curious what the differences are in the setups.

Don’t get me wrong I had some myopenhab problems once that no one seemed to duplicate. I am sure in my case it was a typo somewhere. Starting over on my openHAB install fixed it.

For the tradfri I am wondering is it a network issue, tradfri issue or an openHAB issue. I don’t know how to explain as my install to be rock solid and yours to be unstable.

My problem regarding the issue of this thread, started last fall.
Everything has always been stable once Online, until the next powerUp or restart. (with rare bulb/panel hangs)
Problem started simultaneously on two separate sites, both running OH2 on x64 Linux Ubuntu server PCs. It’s hard to say if it was caused by an Ikea firmware upgrade or if it came with my bi-weekly upgrade of OH2 to the latest Snapshot.
All I know is that I suddenly found that I had to log in to Karaf and restart the tradfri bundle, often several times and sometimes even power-cycling the Gateway in order to get it Online again.

I have also experienced 2 times after such a power-cycle that all my device pairings was lost.
This lead me to replace the Gateway some time ago.

With the arrival of the 1.8.25 firmware version, it became super unstable, losing COAP connection after an hour or two, and sometimes even not connecting to the Ikea Android App. (but it always answered to ping requests)
So after struggling over a week with this, I had to reset the Gateway with a pin. Back to ‘normal’ after that. On my second site, the 1.8.25 firmware upgrade caused no problems. I was just unlucky I guess.
Firmware upgrades are never totally risk free.

Well, water under the bridge. I’m super happy with my new setup, enjoying fast, synchronous actions on large groups of lights, with a backup of everything :slight_smile:
(Keeping the Gateay Online with 1 CT Bulb, just to check if they push any new bulb firmware. There is an issue with lights in larger groups (>12) becoming unreachable over time, both on deconz and the Philips HUE Gateway. Both camps think it’s a bulb issue.)

Do you mean you have no problems anymore?

I faced this issue the other day. I changed the IP of gateway to a wrong one and then back to a new one and it worked again.

But it is not a reliable way of living… :roll_eyes:

After I moved the majority of my Ikea devices (save 2) to deconz, all is super stable.
I now have: (all lights and wall-plugs are Ikea, switches a mix of Ikea 5-button, HUE and Mi Cubes)
12 switches (remotes), 2 sensors and 33 lights/wall-plugs on conbee/deconz,
28 lights and a sensor on a Philips HUE Bridge

More here.

Ok, after reading all the comments, following many different links with hints and tips, still my Gateway will not re-connect to Openhab. Does anybody have a solution for this problem other than buying a usb zigbee stick?

Many thanks! Solved my communication error.

Dear all,

my Tradri gateway still goes offline after a couple of days. Nothing really improved over the last months. There were three GitHub reports:

Can you report an improvement?

Did the latter two issues get lost during the merge of the Eclipse framework?

Every now and then I’m finding tradfri hub disconnected from openhab and need to re-enter the pre-shared key. I’m slowly migrating over to zigbee2mqtt.io (with ota fw upgrade for TF devices - no more reason to stick to TF hub) - that’s my solution :slight_smile:

Okay. Heals the problem. But it’s rather a workaround than a solution.

Looks like many people quit from the binding as the problem seems to be impossible to be clearly identified.

1 Like

Funny thing even though I switched to deconz I left my tradfri gateway connected. It seems to be stable.

I am thinking there may be a problem other than the binding here.

On OH2 2.5.1 & 2.5.2 my Trådfri Gateway have connected after every powerup and restart.
Prior to 2.5.1, I usually had to restart the binding in Karaf numerous times to get it online.

Only very rarely do I see the tradfri disconnected since the last fw update for the tradfri gw. The problems got serious after a fw update and almost disappeared after another which made me look towards IKEA as the responsible side.
However, I still see those ugly ‘Discovered Tradfri gateway doesn’t have an IP address’ Warnings on each network interface during openhab2 start up. Despite the warning everything seems to connect o though.

@Austris_V does zigbee2mqtt allow for a more flexible/configurable way to handle remotes? The IKEA way of matching remote and light physically with no option to correct or restore those pairings after , as it happened to me, a fw update made the tradfri gateway forget all the remotes is something I’d love to overcome.

I can second this I am moving my Ikea devices over to zigbee2mqtt.

There is no longer a need to connect devices to a remote before the hub.

Bulbs and switches can connect directly to openhab and.

You can also connect your remotes and use them to control other items or rules within openhab.

Regards

1 Like

As @clinophobic says - you connect them directly to z2m. Can even connect your remotes (or presence sensor) to non-TF devices - by using rules on openhab side.
Or manage “binding” of switch to group of bulbs via mqtt commands (then it shall work even if z2m goes down).
Though, I must admit, I do not have too many TF switches. Mostly bulbs with shelly/sonoff mini or aqara wall.

2 Likes

Working around the issue seems to be by far the most popular approach :frowning:

@cweitkamp @chriscolden
I re-created the issue in OpenHAB that was formerly still open as a bug in Eclipse.

Could some maintainer have a quick look on https://github.com/openhab/openhab-addons/issues/7152