Tradfri binding loses connection after Power failure / gateway reboot

Testing will be always welcome. But we have to wait for a release of the underlying library before we can integrate it. If you like to follow the current state I recommend you to subscribe to the related issue.

Okay, great. As I am unexperienced, I would be happy to test this when it is available in milestone builds.

But in case this gets stuck because of lack of testers, please let me know and I would set up a testing system.

1 Like

Excactly the same issue here. No connection until the security code is reentered. The field seems empty, as opposed to pre-shared key that shows *****:

I have done 2 restarts on the newly revived SNAPSHOT, and the Ikea Gateway connected both times.
So far so good.

Edit: next reboot was also OK.

Do You have a link to the SNAPSHOP, the one above seems broken. Would like to test it :slight_smile:

Just apply this in ‘reverse’, ie select the unstable repo in you apt sources (the line commented out)
Do a sudo apt-get update and sudo apt-get upgrade

If it bombs, the post describes how to downgrade to M1.

Hi Ole,

Sorry - I thoght these was a trådfri snapshot jar for 2.4 as I have for Amazon echo. Dont want to do 2.5 at the moment.

Br,

Normann

Done 4 power cycles today and Ikea Gateway did not reconnect on any of those.
Reconnected on first bundle restart from Karaf each time though.

Hi, my experience, with OpenHabian on RPi (v 2.4.0) and Tradfri-gateway (v1.4.15) is this:

• If I reboot RPi no problem, Tradfri is reconnected after several seconds (sometimes a couple of minutes).
  • If I cycle power OFF/ON of Tradfri, it never reconnect with OpenHab. To reconnects it, i must go on Paper-UI/Configuration/Things, and edit the configuration of the Tradfri-gateway. If I re-enter the Security Code the reconnection is very quick, if I change the IP address to a fake address and then reset it to the correct address, the connection come up after 30-40 seconds.
    I hope this can help to solve the problem.
    Thanks and good work.
    Alberto

I have the same issue. When I open the tradfri App and restrart oh it’s get back running. I Thing we really need a solution for that, thats stays permanent. Light is very important in the dark days :wink:

Found this errors running oh 2.4 with tradfri newest firmware.

2019-02-16 13:08:48.656 [WARN ] [iscovery.TradfriDiscoveryParticipant] - Discovered
Tradfri gateway doesn’t have an IP address: [ServiceInfoImpl@1378908897 name: ‘gw-dcefcabcf933._coap._udp.local.’ address: ‘(null):0’ status: ‘DNS: JmDNS-IP-2 [/192.168.0.4] state: probing 1 task: null’, has NO data, empty]
2019-02-16 13:08:48.659 [WARN ] [iscovery.TradfriDiscoveryParticipant] - Discovered Tradfri gateway doesn’t have an IP address: [ServiceInfoImpl@594301319 name: ‘gw-dcefcabcf933._coap._udp.local.’ address: ‘(null):0’ status: ‘DNS: JmDNS-IP-1 [/2a02:908:4c1:f560:42:c0ff:fea8:4%eth0] state: probing 1 task: null’, has NO data, empty]
2019-02-16 13:08:48.659 [WARN ] [iscovery.TradfriDiscoveryParticipant] - Discovered Tradfri gateway doesn’t have an IP address: [ServiceInfoImpl@1825249167 name: ‘gw-dcefcabcf933._coap._udp.local.’ address: ‘(null):0’ status: ‘DNS: JmDNS-IP-3 [/2a02:908:4c1:f560:0:0:0:4%eth0] state: probing 1 task: null’, has NO data, empty]

2019-02-16 16:31:20.422 [WARN ] [mmon.WrappedScheduledExecutorService] - Scheduled runnable ended with an exception
java.util.concurrent.RejectedExecutionException: Task java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask@265e9c3c rejected from java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor@504e03c4[Terminated, pool size = 0, active threads = 0, queued tasks = 0, completed tasks = 11607]
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$AbortPolicy.rejectedExecution(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:2063) ~[?:?]
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.reject(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:830) ~[?:?]
at java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor.delayedExecute(ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor.java:326) ~[?:?]
at java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor.schedule(ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor.java:533) ~[?:?]
at java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor.execute(ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor.java:622) ~[?:?]
at java.util.concurrent.Executors$DelegatedExecutorService.execute(Executors.java:668) ~[?:?]
at org.eclipse.californium.core.network.CoapEndpoint.runInProtocolStage(CoapEndpoint.java:718) ~[?:?]
at org.eclipse.californium.core.network.CoapEndpoint.sendRequest(CoapEndpoint.java:392) ~[?:?]
at org.eclipse.californium.core.CoapClient.send(CoapClient.java:922) ~[?:?]
at org.eclipse.californium.core.CoapClient.observe(CoapClient.java:889) ~[?:?]
at org.eclipse.californium.core.CoapClient.observe(CoapClient.java:723) ~[?:?]
at org.eclipse.smarthome.binding.tradfri.internal.TradfriCoapClient.startObserve(TradfriCoapClient.java:75) ~[?:?]
at org.eclipse.smarthome.binding.tradfri.handler.TradfriThingHandler.lambda$1(TradfriThingHandler.java:115) ~[?:?]
at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Executors.java:511) [?:?]
at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:266) [?:?]
at java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.access$201(ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor.java:180) [?:?]
at java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.run(ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor.java:293) [?:?]
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1149) [?:?]
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:624) [?:?]
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748) [?:?]

I have tried out the Conbee/deconz for a while, but it is not stable. Lights becomes unreachable in the Zigbee network.
Will try using a HUE gateway next. The HUE binding is lacking a bit due to no maintainer, but its REST API is identical to deconz so that will be a breeze.

The fact that the Ikea gateway does not always re-connect is specially annoying for my old mother 140km away. I have managed to come to the rescue (remote) each time though since I have the gateway on a Z-Wave power plug, but sometimes it takes several attempts power-cycling the gateway and restarting the binding in karaf to get the lights online again.

Guys, I lost the overview. I am on OH 2.5 M1, which is quite outdated regarding this topic, I think. Meanwhile there are bug reports, discussions and solution approaches in at least three threads:

Is someone on snapshot builds and can confirm something was improved? Thank you.

Just installed SNAPSHOT #1562
Issue is still there.
I’m moving my devices over to a HUE Gateway now.

Not a solution, but a workaround :wink:

Dear all,

IKEA published a brand new firmware, v1.8.25, especially with improved HomeKit connection, see e.g.

https://stadt-bremerhaven.de/ikea-tradfri-homekit-update-wird-global-verteilt-smarte-steckdosen-werden-nun-unterstuetzt/ (sorry, German only)

Has someone received the update? Does it resolve the issue?

Thank you…

Hi guys, I had the same problem, but it appears to be solved by entering the security code in “pre-shared security key” (“show more”). Hope that helps!

Cheers,
Wouter

1 Like

You can also disable / enable the tradfri gateway ‘thing’. It’s the clock picture on the right of the thing.

I had to wait for a few minutes. But all is online again

I have recently done a hard reset (with a pin) of my Ikea Gateway following the 1.8.25 firmware disaster.
I have added just 1 E27 CT bulb and 1 5-button remote.
OH2 still fails to re-connect after a restart.
The state of this issue makes for a very unstable experience and it has been like this for many months now.
I see the same on a second site I run.
My solution is ditching the Ikea Gateway all together opting for this solution instead.

T@OMR I find it interesting the mixed results people have. Makes me curious what the differences are in the setups.

Don’t get me wrong I had some myopenhab problems once that no one seemed to duplicate. I am sure in my case it was a typo somewhere. Starting over on my openHAB install fixed it.

For the tradfri I am wondering is it a network issue, tradfri issue or an openHAB issue. I don’t know how to explain as my install to be rock solid and yours to be unstable.

My problem regarding the issue of this thread, started last fall.
Everything has always been stable once Online, until the next powerUp or restart. (with rare bulb/panel hangs)
Problem started simultaneously on two separate sites, both running OH2 on x64 Linux Ubuntu server PCs. It’s hard to say if it was caused by an Ikea firmware upgrade or if it came with my bi-weekly upgrade of OH2 to the latest Snapshot.
All I know is that I suddenly found that I had to log in to Karaf and restart the tradfri bundle, often several times and sometimes even power-cycling the Gateway in order to get it Online again.

I have also experienced 2 times after such a power-cycle that all my device pairings was lost.
This lead me to replace the Gateway some time ago.

With the arrival of the 1.8.25 firmware version, it became super unstable, losing COAP connection after an hour or two, and sometimes even not connecting to the Ikea Android App. (but it always answered to ping requests)
So after struggling over a week with this, I had to reset the Gateway with a pin. Back to ‘normal’ after that. On my second site, the 1.8.25 firmware upgrade caused no problems. I was just unlucky I guess.
Firmware upgrades are never totally risk free.

Well, water under the bridge. I’m super happy with my new setup, enjoying fast, synchronous actions on large groups of lights, with a backup of everything :slight_smile:
(Keeping the Gateay Online with 1 CT Bulb, just to check if they push any new bulb firmware. There is an issue with lights in larger groups (>12) becoming unreachable over time, both on deconz and the Philips HUE Gateway. Both camps think it’s a bulb issue.)