Turned off Simple Item Linking, but no items are visible in PaperUI

• Platform information:
    • Hardware: Raspberry Pi 3 Model B Plus Rev 1.3
    • Java Runtime Environment: openjdk version “1.8.0_152”
    • openHAB version: 2.4.0-1

I want to migrate from PaperUI configuration of my items to file based items. I’ve already defined all items in files, but there is a duplicate for each item since the things were created in Simple Item Linking mode.

So I turned of Simple Item Linking mode, then in PaperUI a new Configuration area appeared, named Items. I wanted to delete all automatically created items, but this list is toally empty, although there should be a couple of hundred automatically created items.

Can anybody please help me?

Best regards,
ceedee

1 Like

Yes, the console shows the items. Why are they not visible in PaperUI? BTW: The Control section in PaperUI is empty, too. And yes: it worked while I had Simple Item Linking on.

My answer was targeted to:

To delete all items:

smarthome:items clear

@sihui: ok, I see…

In the meantime I used the openhab-cli to delete all links. In consequence somehow all items were deleted automatically after a system reboot. Still, no items from my item files appear in the Control section. So, I think, something strange is going on there…

Only items linked to a channel appear in PaperUI control section.
Please note that the Control section in PaperUI is only an administrative interface and not meant for daily use.
You should either use BasicUI/ClassicUI or HABPanel.

Of course I use Basic UI. I’ve linked all my items via item files to the resp. channels. Anyway, in the past I’ve used Paper UI as a quick way to check if items are working/responding the way they’re meant to.

Then I guess you need to post your things files.
I am of no help with that as I am using no things files.

In fact, I mostly avoid thing files, too. Most of my things are set up via Paper UI.
How could thing files cause problems in this scenario?

Okay, did not read your initial post carefully enough, I thought you were changing from autodiscovered things to text based things.

What does you openhab.log tell you about your errors?

Text based items are only shown for reference, you cannot edit those (as they are defined in your new items files).

1 Like

Thanks for the tip, this made me double check the error message I saw before but considered unrelated:

Amazon Echo Control threw errors getting the musicProviderId. I’ve disabled the item, now I can open the Control area again!

Thank you!

1 Like

This error has been reported as fix if you update to the latest beta version of the Amazon control binding.

2 Likes

Thanks for the hint, I’ll check it out! :slight_smile: