TV making time to open

HI ! My tv take 15 sec to open … when I send a power on command from openhab my tv start opening. if i send an off command from openhab during this time my tv does not shut off but openhab think it’s off. I would like to write a rule that wait 15 sec while i could hit off when i first turn on my tv …

this is what i got so far … ( Doesn’t work)
(TV is a virtual switch and harmonyTV is the actual object that control my tv)

var Number i = 0
    var Number Y = 0

rule “TV OFF counter”

when
Item TV received command OFF
if(y==0) {
postUpdate(TV, OFF)
while (y<11){
postUpdate(TV, OFF)
Thread::sleep(1000)
postUpdate(TV, OFF)
y=y+1
}
}

end

rule "TV ON counter"

when
Item TV received command ON
if(i==0) {
postUpdate(TV, ON)
while (i<16){
Thread::sleep(1000)
postUpdate(TV, ON)
i=i+1
}
}

end

rule "TV ON"

when
Item TV received command ON
if(y==10) {
harmonyTV.sendCommand(ON)
y=0

}

end

rule "TV OFF"

when
Item TV received command OFF
if(i==15) {
harmonyTV.sendCommand(OFF)
i=0

}
end

Have you considered a different approach, using a “busy flag” - an item to show the TV cannot be used.

Send TV the ON command - AND set the “busy” flag true. Start a timer off that will unset the busy flag in 15 secs.

For the rule that issues the OFF, have it check the busy flag. If it isn’t set, send OFF now. If it is set, start a timer to send OFF in 15 seconds.
Or do something more complicated if you need to minimize the dalay.

yeah ! could work actually ! but in a best case scenario my virtual switch didn’t change status when i click on it if the busy flag is true… how could i do that

I suppose, if your switch item has default autoupdate, you could also send OFF during the busy period - ignored by TV but should change the sitemap icon

You will achieve this by using Thread::sleep like you already did, but you also need to place a ReentrantLock. By acquiring the lock for each action, you stop parallelism. This means you can send the OFF command, but it will only be run, if the sleep time passed and after the lock was released from the previous thread that acquired it.

I did exactly your use-case on my TV as well. My lock time was even longer, because I needed to wait until the TV connected via WiFi.

It looks like this:

import java.util.concurrent.locks.ReentrantLock

var java.util.concurrent.locks.ReentrantLock lock  = new java.util.concurrent.locks.ReentrantLock()

rule tv_turn_on
when
    Item tv_power received command ON
then
    lock.lock()
    try {
        // do stuff to turn it on
        Thread::sleep(30000) // This is the time the TV needs to turn on and be available
    } finally{
       lock.unlock()
    }
end

rule tv_turn_off
when
    Item tv_power received command OFF
then
    lock.lock() // OpenHAB will wait here if anything else has this lock open and continue afterwards
    try {
        // do stuff to turn it off.
    } finally{
       lock.unlock()
    }
end

(taken from https://github.com/openhab/openhab/wiki/Rules#concurrency-guard and modified to your use case)

This works for everything that has that kind of delay.

Wow !! this is great !! i’m gonna try this tonight thank you very much !!

I guest that with the lock my item status will stay on even if i try to hit of a thousand time when it will be in sleep ?

Or Nightmare it will keep in memory and hit off a thousand time after the sleep ?

You’re welcome.

As soon as your rule hits a .lock() it will wait until the lock is free again. Let’s assume the following:

• Rule turn tv on acquires the lock, turns on TV and waits 10 seconds to ensue it is ready.
  • Rule turn tv off acquires the lock and turns the TV off, without any sleep.

If you now press turn tv on once and immediately afterwards press turn tv off 5 times, this will happen:

• lock is locked
  • TV turns ON
  • Thread sleeps 10 seconds
  • lock is unlocked
  • lock is locked
  • TV turns OFF
  • lock is released
  • lock is locked
  • TV turns OFF
  • lock is released
  • lock is locked
  • TV turns OFF
  • lock is released
  • lock is locked
  • TV turns OFF
  • lock is released
  • lock is locked
  • TV turns OFF
  • lock is released

being more abstract and only writing down what you as used will experience:

• TV turns ON
  • 10 seconds of sleep
  • TV turns OFF

This is how a user wants to experience this. If your TV also has a time until it accepts commands after turning off (likely about 2-4 seconds), you should also put a sleep into the turn tv off rule.

You basically should always measure the time of actions and put the rule thread to sleep until it can continue again. So you will never miss anything.