U.S. Meetups for openHAB

I would like to start organizing US meet-ups for openHAB. This could range from presenting at local Java, IoT, or maker groups, to hosting dedicated meet-ups around openHAB talks, demos and other geeky things.

First it would be great to understand interest in such an event. I would love if those who are interested could respond here with:

• What area in the US are you in
  • What you would like out of a meet-up
  • Do you have a local user group that might be interested in a openHAB presentation/demo
  • Do you have a space to host such events.

Thanks!

2 Likes

And I will reply with my info :slight_smile:

I am located in Southern California (San Diego), but I also travel frequently to Denver, Colorado.

Any type of meetup would be great, demos and presentations on interesting setups would be great.

I don’t have a specific user group I regularly attend

In Denver I have a great space to hold events

Would love to get involved and put something together in Houston Texas.

• What area in the US are you in - Houston, Tx
  • What you would like out of a meet-up - Knowledge Share…learn from others and find out how people tackle automation challenges. Would be great if we could find a national manufacturer who could possibly sponsor and offer up door prizes, contest, etc.
  • Do you have a local user group that might be interested in a openHAB presentation/demo - I currently do not participate;te in any groups - have not found any in my area.
  • Do you have a space to host such events. - This is a possibility.
2 Likes
    near Cleveland, OH

• Hang out with fellow openHABers!
    • Share ideas/setups/etc… all the nuances that you can’t quite get out of the forum
    • Not just presentations, but interactive discussions, like migration of Rules DSL to JSR223, wish list/roadmap of features, functional testing of releases, etc.
  • Do you have a local user group that might be interested in a openHAB presentation/demo
    No, but it would be great if there was one in my area

No, but I often travel to CO, which would be nicely centralized. From a travel cost perspective, Vegas would likely be the most affordable

1 Like
  • Colorado Springs
  • Meet face to face fellow OH users and makers.
  • I can reach out to the local makerspace. CO has a pretty vibrant maker community and I’ve not managed to make it to even the Denver Maker Faire yet, shame on me. Now that my son is getting older I want to get him involved in this sort of stuff so have started to look.
  • Not that I know of but can ask around.

+1 for Denver :smiley:

1 Like
  • I’m in the Baltimore/Washington, DC area, but I’d be open to anything in the Washington, DC - NYC corridor

• I think this is a good idea for all the reasons already mentioned above

• I’m not aware of a local user group

• I don’t have a space to host an event

1 Like
    New braunfels, tx (between austin and san antonio)

See demos and interesting ideas

• Do you have a local user group that might be interested in a openHAB presentation/demo. Soory

possibly the local convention center or hotel

I love the amount of responses we’re getting - excited about the idea of meeting other openHAB enthusiasts here in the US!

–Philadelphia (South NJ to be exact)

–Exchange of ideas, user experiences, knowledge, and promotion of this great platform

–My local amateur radio club holds monthly “show-and-tell” meetings where members can bring their topics for discussion or show what they’re working on. These “tinkerers” seem like a great audience for Raspberry Pi-based projects like openHAB. I’m also thinking that local home automation Meetup groups would be great to start with.

–My township has public spaces (libraries, classrooms, fire halls, etc…) that can be reserved for use by residents. I’m sure everyone’s got access to such resources in their towns.

-B.K.

1 Like

Thanks for all the responses! I’m hoping we get some more responses this week.

I agree, I have been also looking at “maker” groups, there’s a large maker event in my area in October, I went ahead and registered for a both, but I think it may be too late. I’m defiantly keeping my eyes out for similar meetups.

I am interested. Midwest :slight_smile:

1 Like

Anyone else? Please speak up!

• What area in the US are you in: Northern Virginia, Loudoun County
  • What you would like out of a meet-up; local points of contact, experiences, stories, tips, tricks
  • Do you have a local user group that might be interested in a openHAB presentation/demo; Can’t think of one off the top of my head
  • Do you have a space to host such events: yes, for up to about 14 people.
  • What area in the US are you in:
    Northern Virginia, Loudoun County (@will_stewart1a: hi neighbor)

• What you would like out of a meet-up;
    see what others are doing with their setups. discuss challenges and brainstorm solutions. possibly coordinate “group buys” to possibly save some $$ on equipment.

• Do you have a local user group that might be interested in a openHAB presentation/demo;
    I am not a member, but there are at least two Maker Spaces in the area. I think they would be a good audience.

• Do you have a space to host such events:
    Most/all of our local libraries have meeting rooms that can be reserved for free. A few of the libraries even have small makerspaces as well :slight_smile:

1 Like

What area in the US are you in:
Florida, Indian River

What you would like out of a meet-up;
Exchange ideas, help each other out, meet other people interested in home automation…

Do you have a local user group that might be interested in a openHAB presentation/demo;
Not sure, not that I know of.

Do you have a space to host such events:
Up to about 14. Or in a local library/ community center

Hey @digitaldan! I’m a fellow San Diegan. I would be interested in any local events around those topics. I have contacts with the local chapter of the Active Lifestyle Nerds who would likely be interested in something along these lines as well.

EDIT. Answer the questions stupid.

• North Park, San Diego, California
  • It would be great to talk to fellow home automation people about ideas, especially around sprinklers, water conservation, monitoring, etc. One item I haven’t tackled yet is water usage and I think building that into my larger home automation project would be great.
  • Potentially the Active Lifestyle Nerds Meetup group.
  • I have a small living room for maybe 8-10 people, or on a nice night outside space for a larger group.

I’d be greatly interested in getting a group together. If not here, I work for an airline and I’m willing to go where ever.

• What area in the US are you in: Flower Mound, TX. (near Dallas)
  • What you would like out of a meet-up: Real home automation (not just control stuff from my phone stuff)
  • Do you have a local user group that might be interested in a openHAB presentation/demo: Sorry, just me
  • Do you have a space to host such events. Yes, I can probably accommodate 25-30 in my home, and access to a larger community room if needed.
1 Like