Ubiquiti Unifi Binding Feature Discussion

Matt.
Thats very odd. I´m running controller v5.12.35-12979-1 on a CK V1. (same version as you, but different CK). My wireless devices do not show as wired on the controller.
Its working fine with the 2.3snapshot binding on my openhab 2.5.0(Stable).

Tell me about it, I was able to reproduce it a handful of times! Even going into the Insights tab of the controller and finding my phone by MAC address and hitting Forget didn’t change anything. One of those weird issues I guess…

I did manage to create a workaround for it. I also updated the binding’s logging a bit to make it easier for me to debug this type of problem.

I’m preparing new builds now and will report back after I’ve tested them in the lab.

Matthew

Is that a typo or are you running that old of a version?

I do run this very old version (aprox 2 years old) :smiley:
Its the usual - When things works, dont try breake it.
Then I forgot all about which break changes there has been since, and I read about others having problems. So I waited for you to get back :wink:

But how can the same version behave differently on two different CK´s. Makes no sense…

Updated Builds

Improved logging and better handling of considerHome in regards to properly marking clients online / offline.

Please update and report back.

Matthew

openHAB 2.5.x

This build is NOT compatible and will NOT install in openHAB 2.4 - use the link further down

Build #132 : org.openhab.binding.unifi-2.5.5-SNAPSHOT.jar

Tested on openHAB 2.5.4

openhab> bundle:list | grep UniFi
245 | Active |  80 | 2.5.5.202005131819      | openHAB Add-ons :: Bundles :: UniFi Binding

openHAB 2.4

Build #132 : org.openhab.binding.unifi-2.4.0-SNAPSHOT.jar

Tested on openHAB 2.4.0

openhab> bundle:list | grep -i unifi
233 | Active   |  80 | 2.4.0.202005131827     | UniFi Binding

Updating the UniFi Binding

Replace [url] with one of the build links above that matches your version of openHAB.

openhab> bundle:list | grep UniFi
245 | Active |  80 | 2.5.5.xxxxxxxxxxxx      | openHAB Add-ons :: Bundles :: UniFi Binding
openhab> bundle:stop 245
openhab> bundle:update 245 [url]
openhab> bundle:start 245

1 Like

How weird. Did you see anything about this on the Ubuntu support forums?

Hi there,
I confirm that I did witness the same behavior on my side a couple of times, but I cannot explain myself how this comes. It’s not linked to the device I think, as I currently have it right now with my Netatmo Main Station (which is WiFi only, but UniFi reports it as being connected using RJ45 to a specific VLAN).
I confirm that I also had it already with my iPhone but so far it didn’t bother me, so I didn’t even watch out to understand the issue.
See example in screenshot:

I just wonder if it’s the UniFi database which might be a bit inconsistent. I saw the issue again after I did some work in UniFi (assigning the device icons, reducing retention periods, …).
I’ll try to run a compact DB and restart the portals and keep you posted.
In terms of the binding I don’t know if it has an impact as I do not actively use the configured devices (yet).

David

Well, no luck … after compacting and forgetting the device, it reappeared, still as a wired device.
It says it’s connected to the port to which the AP is connected - what is not really wrong, but still not the expected behavior.

I have checked my UniFi controller & I have never had any devices show as wired.
2 years worth of data.

Thanks for your feedback! I’m a bit relieved it’s not only happening to me.

I’m just happy I caught it and was able to reproduce it a handful of times - enough to implement a workaround. Maybe it’s a bug in the controller firmware :man_shrugging:

So in the spirit of trying to resolve this…

This morning, I did a network-wide UniFi upgrade (every device is now running the latest firmware), disconnected my phone from Wi-Fi, “forgot” my phone’s MAC address, compacted the database, rebooted the controller CK then reconnected to Wi-Fi to hopefully “start fresh”.

Unfortunately, I’m still seeing (random/intermittent) instances of my phone appearing as a WIRED device when disconnected from Wi-Fi - it doesn’t happen every connect / disconnect cycle.

Hopefully the workaround will hold - I will continuously monitor my install and report back with any updates.

Matthew

Just as an FYI, after updating, you might see the following warning in your logs:

WARN  Returning cached client 00:DE:AD:BE:EF:00 - controller returned incorrect type

Please report back if you do as it means your controller is acting up as well.

What unifi gear do you all have? Might be a source of the issue with wifi clients showing as wired (it’s obviously an issue on the unifi side, either in the controller software and/or hardware). Personally I have a USG as my router and a UAP-LR access point, with a (dumb) Zyxel switch between them, and I noticed this issue when I just investigated. It seems the controller reports some devices (two laptops, one windows and one mac in my case) as wired when they go into sleep.

My current inventory:

• USG-PRO-4
  • US-16-XG
  • US‑48‑500W
  • US‑48
  • US-8-60W
  • UAP-AC-PRO
  • UAP-AC-IW-PRO
  • UCK-G2-PLUS

Who knows with this much equipment, it may just be some quirk in the hardware :slight_smile:

I also have two Edge devices that sit between my ISP and USG, but those wouldn’t affect the UniFi SDN.

Anyways, for now I’m satisfied with writing this off as a “UniFi issue” assuming my workaround holds.

I will wait to hear back from a few more of you on how the latest builds are working before starting to implement new features.

Matthew

I was thinking that the people not having this issue only use unifi AP’s and not any routers/switches, so there’s never any wired clients to report.

My gear:

Unifi USG3
Unifi US-24 Switch
Unifi US-8 60Watt
Unifi UAP-AC-Pro (1)
Unifi UAP-AC-lite (2)
Unifi CK, V1

That would be me and I don’t have the issue.

Unifi Binding = 2.4 (the older version prior to Mathew’s update above)
Controller = 5.12.66
Firmware = 4.3.13

Best, Jay

Exactly the same setup than I have :ok_hand:

Did you noticed the issue Matt mention?

@mgbowman I have an issue after upgrading my binding (2.5.5 SNAPSHOT) where my phone now shows as online constantly. ConsiderHome is set at 180, yet it has now been 3 hours since my phone was on my home network, but openhab still see’s it as online.

Any ideas?

When this happened to me, I went into Insights on the Unifi Controller and did a Forget on the phone. It’s been fine ever since.