Ugly white top and bottom bar removable?

Hi, had some issues with the Android app and decided to upgrade to the latest version (released Februari Google says). Big mistake, now my screen had a default empty white bar on top and bottom (for all windows/screens). Space lost and ugly because my dashboards have a dark theme.

Any way to remove them? Of revert to the old app?

Well did some experiments. It seems the app (although full screen option is on) doesnā€™t actually use the full screen. So Android fills the extra space with white bars. Maybe because its an old tablet with a 1280x800 screen.Something with aspect ratio?

Temporary solution is ditching the app and reverting to a chrome browser in full screen mode on my wall mounted tablet. Now my gridlayout dashboard shows as before.

Still itā€™s a workaround ā€¦ Suggestions are welcome!

With me the same behavior and the same screen size, only that the bars are black.

Good to hear Iā€™m not alone. Did you do something special to make them black? Or just luck?

(It seems running in chrome is not as stable as running in the app, so the workaround is not as good as I hoped)

HabPanelViewer can be used to display any URL (not just a HabPanel). It works very well for wall-mounted tablets, and you can pass commands to it using an item. Mine automatically turns on the screen whenever Iā€™m home/awake, and turns off whenever I leave or go to sleep.

Itā€™s not currently in development, but has been stable for a long time.

1 Like

Can you post a screenshot of this?

Itā€™s simply our (almost) white status and navigation bar combined with the dark background of HabPanel. The Main UI has a similar problem (white vs. orange). Weā€™d need to have status bar / navigation bar colors overridden per type of web view.
I think I once started working on that, but getting it right for all Android versions is somewhat hard.

My bars are black because I set the color scheme to black in the app.

Hi. To complete thei information. Tablet is android 10. The dashboard is not an HabPanel but a openhab 3 UI (the gridlayout setup). Before the update (and still if you use a full-screen browser/chrome) it doesnā€™t show the bars but only my (very) darkgray background. Picture:

app

There are more subtle changes. The default widget for the chromecast has white lines between the items. These lines are also present in the listviews. Thatā€™s also new, they didnā€™t show before (and still donā€™t when I use chrome).

Hope this helps!

Do I understand you added these in the new version? Do they have a class I can use in CSS to ā€˜styleā€™ them away (visibility hidden or height 0px)?

Or ā€¦ in which version of the app did you add these, maybe installing that apk is a better temporary fix.

No, we just changed the color of the top bar (orange ā†’ white). Maybe a viable workaround for you would be forcing the app into dark mode.

No. Those are parts of OS UI, not rendered in HTML.

They were not present before, so itā€™s not only the color that changed. Iā€™ll try dark but my second issue is of course losing 5-10% of the height/usable area.

1 Like

They always were present. This is how Main UI looked like before the restyling:

(Mind the orange bar at the top)

@mueller-ma Or did we change the WebView background color at some point? In the screenshot above I donā€™t see system UI icons?!

Maybe using the gridlayout makes a difference? Iā€™ll try to install an old version of the app

I made a few screenshots for comparison. The device isnā€™t in dark mode and the app theme follows the system theme. In the first screenshot fullscreen mode is disabled, in the second one enabled.

Current main:

2.23.0:

I donā€™t see any difference in spacing. If you donā€™t want to see the OS buttons and the status bar, you have to enable fullscreen mode.

Please note that some UIs (i.e. Main UI) follow the theme of the app, so thereā€™s no white button bar when the background is dark. You can set the app theme to dark or open a feature request for theming in HABPanel.

We changed the background color of the WebView to transparent at least 4 years ago: Blaming openhab-android/mobile/src/main/java/org/openhab/habdroid/ui/activity/WebViewFragment.kt at 1fdf6566c55db563308ce346c077a0f1f36108a3 Ā· openhab/openhab-android Ā· GitHub
I didnā€™t go beyond the Kotlin rewrite in history.

Maybe an issue with android:windowLightStatusBar?

@supersjel Can you give some more information about this device?

• OS dark mode enabled?
  • App theme?
  • Full screen mode enabled?

OS Dark mode is OFF. Brigness of screen is quite low to make it not too prominent present.
The App theme is ā€œautoā€. In my CSS styling I have chosen/overridden my own theme that shows all day.
Full screen in app is enabled. If I donā€™t it switches back to your example current main/fullscreen disabled. So clock/wifi strength and home/back buttons appear on top and bottom (additional to the white bars).
When in full screen pressing the fullscreen button has no effect. The white bars remain.

Iā€™m not sure when I updated for the last time. It sure isnā€™t years ago. Maybe end of summer 2022.

Note ā€¦ in comparison to your screenshots. The white bar appear above the openHab ā€˜menu barā€™ (with the three bars on the left). And below the end of the screen (so above the android buttons in non full screen of at the bottom on full screen).

The display is used on a wall tablet in landscape mode. It is set to full screen and the screen is fully utilized. So I noticed the change right away. I think itā€™s since the last update of the app.

config:
  activeIdx: 0
  fixedType: canvas
  grid: 10
  gridEnable: false
  hideNavbar: true
  label: Tablet fix
  layoutType: fixed
  order: "1"
  screenHeight: 750
  screenWidth: 1280
  sidebar: true
  style:
    --f7-page-bg-color: "#050544"
blocks: []
masonry: null
grid: []
canvas: .......................

Installed the last 3.1.0 release. No difference. Going back in time a bit more ā€¦

@mueller-ma

Wel that was fun. Went back all the way to the 2.23.0 release (October 13 2022). Thatā€™s the last release without the extra white bars. So the bug was introduced after this one. Unfortunately a lot of betaā€™s after this until the next 3.0.0 release (Jan 11 2023).

Is this enough to find it ā€¦ or must I try some of the betaā€™s too to pinpoint it a bit more in time?