UI unaccessible after some reboots

There is a lot of things you should never do remotely including:

• make any changes that affect sudoers
  • make any modifications to the network
  • make any changes that modify ssh
  • perform a dist-upgrade or upgrade anything that can impact the network or you ability to log on over the network.

As an example, I ran visudo remotely over ssh once. I list there connection in the middle of saving the file and sudoers became corrupted. I had to not with a live CD, mount the hard drive, chroot the hard drive and then run visudo to repair there damage.

Rich,

This leads me to a question, If i have a second home to install the Automated system in to (switches, sensors etc), where should I install the Pi Server running OH? should it be back at the regular home in the event of required RPi system maintenance?

BR
Chris

Why only have one OH? If it is a separate home I would have an OH install at each location and connect the two using mqtt event bus.

That way even if the one at the other house goes down the house you are in will still work.
You can use a third party broker, ssh tunnel, or my preferred approach openvpn to connect the two across the internet.

The nice thing about OpenVPN is all your computers at both houses will be able to see each other which can be pretty convenient.

But even when going though OpenVPN, the above list still holds.

1 Like

Thanx for the heads up on MQTT event bus… I’m reading up on it now :slight_smile:

Another thing for me to try and get frustrated with, I’m thinking to use my NAS server as the primary installation at the non automated home and the RPi as the slave located at the 2nd residency on a UPS.

Incidentally, now that I have effectively locked myself out of the RPi it seems to be very stable and running great :+1:

Hi again Rich,

I’m bank at home again and have been telling to mount the raspberry pi micro SD card on a bootable version of Linux puppy, without luck. I also installed VM Box on my Windows PC but can’t seem to find any way to mount the sd card. At leafy when I plug in the card to the PC it is NOT detected it mounted by the Linux system…only the Windows system attempts to mount it and complains that the disk needs formatting (as it’s a bootable Linux system disk).

I don’t have access to a Mac or native Linux PC…so any suggestions how to proceed, as I would like to re instate my openhabian root password access again.

Thanx and best regards
Chris.

I’m really no expert with this. I don’t know what file systems Puppy Linux supports. Perhaps it doesn’t support what raspbian uses. Or perhaps you didn’t mount it correctly. Or perhaps Puppy Linux doesn’t have the drives necessary to run your SD card reader. You provide no details.

Try using a more complete Linux distro’s live CD like Ubuntu.

1 Like

Also look at installing test disk in puppy run test disk on the s d card. Usually this allows !e to then mount the ad card and copy files off.

I would not trust the ad card anymore but test disk has allowed me to recover files.

1 Like

Thanx All,

I was able to edit the Sudoers file while in Windows environment by using this program:

http://www.ext2fsd.com/

Hope it might help others in the future…

Thanks for sharing!!! Glad this is now available!

Hi Danny,

what you mean? the ext2fsd is still available for download…?

@angusc sorry auto correct! Fixed now!