Unable to boot on RPI3 with latest update

Hello all,

thanks for the 2 fixes. After I commented the uart-line in the config.txt and fixed the old mac-address in the cmdline.txt it seems to work again indeed. No green led anymore, but I suppose that’s controlled using the uart then?

Oh, maybe it’s a good idea to block updates untill the cause has been found and fixed? Else, a lot more users will have this issue.

same here… RPi 3 with working OH2 installation.

After openhabian-config update/upgrade and a reboot my pi was dead… kernel panic. :cold_sweat:

Commented out the “enable_uart=1” as mentioned above --> my pi boots again :sweat:

No idea, what’s going wrong. But my rpi2 does not get an IPv4 address anymore after update (sudo openhabian-config)

Any help?

Sorry really difficult for me to read the screen shot, but after asking for sighted help from my a friend; it sounds like your MAC address is set as all zeros, you need to set the one you have not use the example of zeros.

That is an illegal MAC address and will not work.
Please follow the instructions earlier in this thread and set the MAC address to what it was previously if you know it. if not make one up using an online generator such as:

http://www.miniwebtool.com/mac-address-generator/

Incidentally at the weekend I see the latest OS update now includes a fix for the MAC address part of the fix, it works too, the uart line is still causing kernel panic though.

Hi Paul, many thanks for your support.
Setting the MAC to the old one, (I found it in my old router logs) fixed the issue.
I will make a clean new inst of openHABian.

If i get my rpi3 to boot up with the enable_uart commented.

1. Am i missing any feature because of that?
  2. Can i continue to do regular updates now?
  3. Do i have to re-install everything and use the raspbian image instead?

Thanks!

1. Well… it booted up, but e.g. mosquitto didn’t work anymore, it seemed some things were broken.
  2. no idea :wink:
  3. At least I could browse the files so I decided to backup my openhab configs etc. and do a complete reinstall with the other openhabian image (not the net-install!).

What is the best a shortest method to back up everything before reinstalling the openhabian image (not netinst)?

First of all, if you have enough HDD space on your computer, create a complete image of your SD card using e.g. win32diskimager. That would be your emergency backup image… :wink:

Backing up OpenHAB is quite easy --> how to backup & restore openhab

Important: Don’t forget to copy the these new backup folders to your PC before formatting the SD :sweat_smile:

If you have mosquitto or homgear etc. running you might want to save their config files to your PC too.

Then format your SD > write new raspbian image > boot > (maybe install homegear again) and copy your backup files back to the Pi. Use the link above for the How to restore.

done :wink:

1 Like

Thanks, looks simple…however in the description it mentions

As of version 2.2.0, you can use openHAB’s scripts for storing your configuration in a zip file.

Does this also works for backing up 2.0 and restore to 2.1 ?

-ben