Unable to find paired bluetooth device under "INBOX" in paper UI

• Platform information:
    • Hardware: Raspberry Pi 4
    • Java Runtime Environment: which java platform is used and what version
    • openHAB version: 2.5.9
  • Issue of the topic: bluetooth connection

Dear all, this is my first post in OpenHAB community. Thank you for your help and here is my question.

I connected 1 wired keyboard (RPI wired keyboard) and BlueTooth keyboard to my raspberry pi4.

I can pair my Bluetooth keyboard successfully under the command line by using “bluetoothctl”. I can see characters display in the command line after any keystroke from the keyboard.

However, I can’t see my bluetooth keyboard in “INBOX”

I installed the “bluetooth binding” already in paperUI.

May I know what have I missed?

Thank you for your help.
Regards,
Sunny

The inbox is typically for Things to show up, last I looked at bluetooth connections they did not register as Things. They were registered in the system as Items, so you would need to create this item in a ‘.items’ file for it to register within OH.

Also are you trying to leverage a keyboard in OH, curious to know what for?

Hi ,

Thank you for your feedback.

I just read the official link (see below) for more information about Inbox, Things Discovery, etc. I discovered there is an option “autoignore”, do you think it is related to my problem?

Quoted from OpenHab official site
“This auto-ignore service is enabled by default but can be disabled by setting org.eclipse.smarthome.inbox:autoIgnore=false”

Basically, I would like to replace the RPI wired keyboard with the BlueTooth one. And then I’ll define some keys as a trigger to open my IP CAM.

May I any reference link that helps me to create items for Bluetooth keyboard?

Thank you for your help.

Regards,
Sunny

I’m not at all convinced that you will be able to use this as both a system keyboard and an openHAB device at the same time.
Might even be why you can’t find it yet.

Dear all,

I executed this command and I can detect my devices in PaperUI

sudo usermod -a -G input openhab

Do I need to close this post?

Thank you for your help.
Regards,
Sunny