Unable to install frontail on fresh install OH 4

Hi,
I use Oliver2 script

curl -fsSL "https://deb.nodesource.com/gpgkey/nodesource-repo.gpg.key" | gpg --dearmor > /usr/share/keyrings/nodesource.gpg
	echo "deb [signed-by=/usr/share/keyrings/nodesource.gpg] https://deb.nodesource.com/node_18.x nodistro main" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/nodesource.list
	apt-get install --yes nodejs
	apt-get install --yes npm

Then openhabian-config (20 - Optional Components)

or You can install Openhabian 1.9 there is no problem with npm.

No, the first of those three “21” options will install frontail.
It was never “not part of openhabian”.
If that doesn’t work for you, set debugmode=maximum in openhabian.conf and go debug to find out.

Or reinstall using release v1.9 that’s about to get released anyway.

OK. I’ll wait for1.9 to be released.
Thanks,
Bjorn

I’ve finally installed 1.9 successfully and frontail is present. Thanks!

But, OH4 frontail now contains far more events.log entries than OH3.
One difference is that OH4 frontail now seems to enter parameter values that do not change, thereby building a longer events.log and causing frontail to display a shorter time span.
Is there an easy way to return to the OH3 frontail setup/configuration?

Depending on how you did it either during the upgrade you opted to keep your modified version of log4j2.xml and therefore didn’t get the latest version of the file or you restored your 3.x configs over the 4.x instance wiping out the changes to the logging configs.

You can edit the file and add the following two lines near the bottom:

<Logger level="ERROR" name="openhab.event.ItemStateUpdatedEvent"/>
                <Logger level="ERROR" name="openhab.event.GroupStateUpdatedEvent"/>

Or you can set the level of these loggers to ERROR through the karaf console.

Hi,
I have openhabian 1.9 (OH4.1.2) with frontail running now, but the timestamp in the events.log entries are all 1 hr off. I have selected the proper regional settings with a time zone being Europe/Oslo.
Seems like summer savings is ignored.
Can that be confirmed and fixed by anyone.

I also tried installing Tailscale without success.

Log says:
2024-04-25_15:11:42_CEST [openHABian] Installing tailscale VPN...
2024-04-25_15:11:42_CEST [openHABian] Adding required keys to apt... gpg: no valid OpenPGP data found.
FAILED
# Tailscale packages for raspbian bookworm
deb [signed-by=/usr/share/keyrings/tailscale-archive-keyring.gpg] https://pkgs.tailscale.com/stable/raspbian bookworm main
FAILED (update apt lists)

Is there a fix here?
B

check the time settings on the Pi

Thanks,
Well, I guess I could, but it shouldn’t be necessary.
openhabian and OH time zone selection has always done this, so I think it should be fixed. 1.9 was released just a few weeks ago.
B

Thanks for the detailed installation description. :+1:

I ran it all and encountered one minor problem. The file frontail.service does not exist for the cp command.
I updated my documentation by saying:

npm update --audit=false --omit=dev
    # create the fontail.service file as per below, then...`
    cp frontail.service /etc/systemd/system/frontail.service

I am not sure, if it was necessary at the end:
systemctl start frontail.service
systemctl enable frontail.service to make it permanent, or the frontail.serives file takes care of this at reboot.

In any case, it is working :slight_smile: