Unable to VNC into Openhabian

Hi all,

I have successfully installed Openhabian on my Raspberry Pi 3, and can login to my unit via localIP:localport to the usual webserver.

I want to add a few other addons and I can see you need to be either plugged in with a monitor/keyboard or logged in to the unit via SSH.

I’m using VNC to login to my Pihole just fine but I can’t seem to login successfully. I’ve tried port 9091, 8001, et al. and it keep saying connection refused.

What am I doing wrong?

Did you install vnc on the openHAB pi?

Quite frankly I am shocked you can vnc into the pihole…

Ssh is preferred for openhabian as it is headless and has no desktop.

1 Like

Er no that’s a good point. I might have to connect it to the TV in order to install it. It’s just so much easier using a GUI rather than a CLI.

As for the Pihole, I had it up and running as a network storage drive and Bittorent server first and then I installed Pihole later, so Raspbian already had the VNC option checked.

I’m a little confused here.

If you’ve “only” installed Openhabian on a machine (any machine) then there won’t be anything using any kind of X-session (stand alone or in a window manager / desktop) so there won’t be anything that a VNC server can share.

PaperUI via the web interface is a Graphical user interface, if that’s what you’re looking for.

If you plug a monitor into your headless (Linux?) machine (pi or otherwise) all you’ll get is the TTY (command prompt / CLI) which is (to most extents) the same as creating a SSH connection.

You could consider running Visual Code Studio from another machine if you want a GUI interface to the text files (this also provides code analysis).
I’ve never used it, but many people get on very well with it.

1 Like

That’s plain wrong as it installs automatically. All monitoring and configuration is via web hence from your PC.
As VNC is for forwarding a GUI, there’s no point in installing that.
For anything you would need to configure, there’s openhabian-config which is a text GUI and as such absolutely sufficient for what you are supposed to do with it.

2 Likes

It is easier to setup using the CLI than any GUI…
My Pi-hole also runs headless, no VNC and GUI. I don’t know why it is great to waste resources on this.

1 Like

I would disagree. It’s much easier to pull up a new tab on a browser window that’s already open, click on the Pihole link then whitelist a site. SSHing into the Pihole, waiting for the login and then searching for what was just blocked incorrectly and then typing out whatever whitelist command seems like it would take longer

VNC and Pi-hole serving a website for administration is not the same.
I also use the Pi-hole website, but I don’t have any gui installed on the pi-hole server.
Same for openhab, you don’t need any gui at all on the server as openHAB have different UIs to configure it (like PaperUI).

2 Likes