Unknown Device when all are unplugged

• Platform information:
    • Hardware:Raspberry Pi 3 B+
    • Java Runtime Environment: Zulu
    • openHAB version: 2
  • Issue of the topic: All items unplugged and still finding one “unknown Device” node

Hi, I’m new to Home Automation in general, including OpenHab2 and Z-Wave. I have a Z-Wave Plus Dimmer switch ( ZW500DM-PLUS) and a Multisensor (Aeotec Multisensor 6) which I have attempted to connect to and Aeotec Z-Stick Gen5.

I started exploring via the PaperUI and just recently learned of the config files and such.

I successfully linked/added the Multisensor , found it in the inbox, and added it.
In the process of trying to connect the ZW500DM-PLUS ( which is not in the ‘things summary’ list, but the documentation says it is backwards compatible and the ZW500DM switch is on that list) I do the linking process with the Z-Stick, and it does the appropriate blinks which should indicate that it is connected, but when I plug in the Z-Stick and do a discovery, I still only see the Z-Stick Controller, MultiSensor, and something which is “Z-Wave Node 3: Unknown Device”.

In my process of troubleshooting I have unplugged the multisensor ( which has no batteries), and the ZW500DM ( in a temporary box on an extension cord) is also unplugged, yet this “Z-Wave Node 3: Unknown device” is still coming up in my Z-Wave Binding search.

All I can think of is one of a few things:

• that there might be something in my house or the neighbors, which is a z-wave device and I don’t know about it, and don’t have the binding installed.
  • The Z-Stick has an additional node which is on the network
  • My tests are not done correctly and/or my expectations are incorrect.

I have just looked over the logs to see if there is something telling. and I don’t know if these are an explanation of what is going on, but I don’t know the interpretation.

2018-12-31 17:30:44.761 [ERROR] [ing.zwave.handler.ZWaveSerialHandler] - Got I/O exception Input/output error in writeArray during sending. exiting thread.
2018-12-31 17:31:01.037 [WARN ] [wave.discovery.ZWaveDiscoveryService] - NODE 3: Device discovery could not resolve to a thingType! 7FFFFFFF:7FFFFFFF:7FFFFFFF::0.0
2018-12-31 17:31:01.056 [WARN ] [wave.discovery.ZWaveDiscoveryService] - NODE 4: Device discovery could not resolve to a thingType! 7FFFFFFF:7FFFFFFF:7FFFFFFF::0.0
2018-12-31 17:31:01.069 [ERROR] [ing.zwave.handler.ZWaveSerialHandler] - Got I/O exception Input/output error in writeArray during sending. exiting thread.
2018-12-31 17:31:11.108 [ERROR] [ing.zwave.handler.ZWaveSerialHandler] - Got I/O exception Input/output error in writeArray during sending. exiting thread.
2018-12-31 17:31:14.324 [WARN ] [wave.discovery.ZWaveDiscoveryService] - NODE 3: Device discovery could not resolve to a thingType! 7FFFFFFF:7FFFFFFF:7FFFFFFF::0.0
2018-12-31 17:31:14.334 [INFO ] [g.discovery.internal.PersistentInbox] - Added new thing 'zwave:device:d8b6db80:node3' to inbox.
2018-12-31 17:31:14.349 [WARN ] [wave.discovery.ZWaveDiscoveryService] - NODE 4: Device discovery  could not resolve to a thingType! 7FFFFFFF:7FFFFFFF:7FFFFFFF::0.0
2018-12-31 17:31:16.127 [ERROR] [ing.zwave.handler.ZWaveSerialHandler] - Got I/O exception Input/output error in writeArray during sending. exiting thread.
2018-12-31 17:31:36.172 [ERROR] [ing.zwave.handler.ZWaveSerialHandler] - Got I/O exception Input/output error in writeArray during sending. exiting thread.

When I search for “unknown Devices” on the Community, I find most people with specific things they have added which show up as ‘unknown devices’. I guess I"m too green to know what it is that I’m seeing!

I appreciate your time looking at this post and am grateful for any advice and suggestions you may give me.

Thanks!