Unknown Z-Wave Device: Honeywell 39348

Purchased a bunch of Honeywell Z-Wave switches. Installed a couple and find that they show up as unknown devices. The config page indicated I should raise an issue. The info on that page is below.

zwave_beaming true
zwave_class_basic BASIC_TYPE_ROUTING_SLAVE
zwave_class_generic GENERIC_TYPE_SWITCH_BINARY
zwave_deviceid 12597
zwave_devicetype 18770
zwave_frequent false
zwave_listening true
zwave_manufacturer 57
zwave_nodeid 12
zwave_plus_devicetype NODE_TYPE_ZWAVEPLUS_NODE
zwave_plus_roletype ROLE_TYPE_SLAVE_ALWAYS_ON
zwave_routing true
zwave_secure false
zwave_version 5.53

Welcome. First post after five years of membership, nice :grinning:

Your device is in the database:


Maybe your zwave version is too old?

1 Like

Yes, I am a lurker. Rarely feel I have anything helpful to offer, and usually I can find the answer to my issue on my own, but this time I thought I had run into something un-fixable by me. I did some more looking last night and realize now that if my device was not in the database I should be working on adding it.

I am running openhabian and did the apt update/upgrade. It still doesn’t recognize the device. Is there a step I am missing?

I think I see a potential problem (maybe). My model is listed in the database, but with a different Type:Id combination. In the database it is 4952:3135. My device shows up as 18770:12597.

However, that doesn’t explain why my z-wave binding doesn’t find anything when I search for 39348 in its supported things list. My z-wave binding is version 2.4 as is my openhab installation.

I notice now that my apt update is complaining that the openhab repo is using unrecognized sigs. Maybe that device was added after the last time I paid close enough attention to make sure the openhab updates were still rolling. I will fix my connection to the repo and see if that fixes it.

This is exactly the same - it’s just that you’ve not displayed them both in hexadecimal. If you convert your number to display as hex, you’ll see they are the same values as the database.

Almost certainly this will not contain your device as 2.4 is extremely old now (over 18 months old).

1 Like

Ah. Interesting. I didn’t realize those fields were in hex in the database.

I updated OpenHab to 2.5.5-1. Now when I search my binding for compatible devices, I do see 39348. However, my devices still show up as unknown.

I see that the binding says it is possible the device initialization is not complete, but that this should happen pretty quickly for mains powered devices. Every other time I have added a device to my network, it has been identified nearly instantaneously. It has been around 10 minutes since I updated my install. Am I just being too impatient?

No - for a mains device this should be pretty quick so it might indicate something else is wrong. Is the device communicating - eg is the device id still known now that you’ve swapped to 2.5? It might be worth deleting the thing and adding it back - in theory this shouldn’t matter since the device is new…

Otherwise it might be worth getting a debug log to see what’s happening (see the binding docs for what to do to configure this).

Okay. Thanks for the suggestions. I have run out of time and it will be a couple of days before I can look at this again. I will let you know how it goes.

After you upgrade you need to delete (NOT exclude from the network) and rediscover to get the new binding settings for the device.

Thank you. I did delete one of the things in the Paper interface and recreate it from the inbox. Is that what you were referring to?

1 Like

I tried removing the things again and re-adding. When I do, I get these two lines in the log:

21:47:04.593 [WARN ] [zwave.discovery.ZWaveDiscoveryService] - NODE 12: Device discovery could not resolve to a thingType! 0039:4952:3135::5.53
21:47:04.600 [INFO ] [ig.discovery.internal.PersistentInbox] - Added new thing ‘zwave:device:c95bb9eb:node12’ to inbox.

I thought those numbers in the middle two spots looked familiar, so I verified that those are the Type:id of the Honeywell 39348 in the Z-Wave database.

In trying to mess with the log settings, my OpenHAB became unresponsive. I restarted my RPi. When OpenHAB came back up, it had the devices properly identified.

I have linked them to the items I created on my sitemap and they are working properly.

Thank you for your assistance.