Upgrade from openhab 1.8 to 2.0

Hi, what’s the best way to upgrade my openhab 1.8 to version 2.0?

Can I install it with apt-get or do I still need to download the zip file and extract it over the old version?
Or should I uninstall 1.8 first and freshly install 2.0?
Can I use the configuration files of version 1.8 with version 2.0 or do I need to “convert” them?

[quote=“vinnietrousers, post:1, topic:6739, full:true”]
Can I install it with apt-get …[/quote]

No, the dev’s are working on it, but at the moment only the manual install is available.

[quote=“vinnietrousers, post:1, topic:6739, full:true”]
Or should I uninstall 1.8 first and freshly install 2.0?[/quote]

On what hardware are you on? If Raspberry Pi: grab a new sd card and make a fresh install of OH2, then you are able to convert back to OH1 with just swapping the sd card.

You can use your old config files, but if you are using some of the new OH2 bindings or the included OH1 bindings you need to adapt them (f.e. remove the prefix).
For not included OH1 bindings you still need your openhab.cfg.
And you should be familiar with the new addons.cfg.
More can be found on the Getting started page and here.

Good luck.

1 Like

That is quite a short summary :-). i’m migrating a rather large 1.8 to 2.0b1 and it takes a lot of adaptation (rules, binding configs,…)

[quote=“stefaanbolle, post:3, topic:6739, full:true”]
That is quite a short summary :-).[/quote]

I didn’t want to fear him :grin:

And because the wiki explains the first important steps, it got short.
But you are right, for a larger setup it’s quite a bit of work.

Hi, I’m running openHAB on an ODROID-XU4 with Ubuntu 15.04. I think I will start fresh and uninstall openHAB 1 and reinstall openHAB 2. I don’t have a huge project yet. I was trying to change the color of my AEON Labs led bulb. I found out this was only possible with openHAB 2.

I have a little complicated situation… I would like to upgrade an existing OH1.8…but
I can’t start from scratch since the OH is hosted on hte same RPI as EmonPI and I do not want to mess that up.

So the question is… can I have 1.8 and 2.0 side by side on the same installation (of course not running at the same time).

TX

If they are not running at the same time it should be possible. However you will probably need to go out of your way to make sure that configs and everything remain separate. I’ve no advice to help with this part.

However, I would suggest if your system is that brittle you might consider doing a bit more to separate OH from EmonPi. Put OH on another Pi, put it into a Docker container, etc.