Upgrading 2.4 -> 2.5 -> 3.x

Hi there. I’m an oldie but it seems my old account has vanished…

I understand that I should have done this a long time ago but things has just worked work and I neglected maintenance. I was also not eager to repeat the hassle of upgrading from OH1 to OH2 even longer ago.

So I’m on 2.4 and think I should move to 2.5 and then to the latest version of OH3. It looks like if my rules work in 2.5 they should have a good chance in OH3? Or would it be better to just do a fresh install of OH3 and get rid of quirks and junk that I still have from the OH1 days? I wrote all my rules for OH1 by hand and have mostly just fixed them to work for OH2 with little love for many years.

My problem is that it seems that updating to 2.5 using openhabian-config is broken, I guess it is too late for that path.

$ wget -O openhab-key.asc https://bintray.com/user/downloadSubjectPublicKey?username=openhab
--2022-07-02 10:33:09--  https://bintray.com/user/downloadSubjectPublicKey?username=openhab
Resolving bintray.com (bintray.com)... 75.126.118.184
Connecting to bintray.com (bintray.com)|75.126.118.184|:443... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 403 Forbidden
2022-07-02 10:33:09 ERROR 403: Forbidden.

I think your openhabian-config / configuration is outdated. It still connects to bintray.com.
Because of breaking changes in between versions I would start setting up your OH3 environment from scratch. Then you have time to fix all problems one by one.

Ok thanks, that sounds reasonable. I’d rather not set up a parallell rpi since I have the filesystem on an external USB drive and can’t really remember how I did that. :slight_smile: And all zwave devices are on an old Aeotec Z-stick so I can only have one system at a time anyway.

Or is there a way to keep OH2 and OH3 running on the same rpi for a while? I do rely on some Python scripts which is my integration to an even older Zipabox which I keep for the Nexa 433 MHz switches. So I guess running the openhabian installation and adding an OH3 docker would be tricky.

There is a remote binding which enables integration of OH2 remote host under OH3:

Doing both on the same Pi seems not to be the standard use case. In case of problems that may not be supported.
You may also think about the underlying OS - how old is that one. Starting from scratch also enables you to use a more recent one than the one you installed when you setup you 2.4 instance.