Upgrading

So I am sitting on a very old version of Openhabian, which says I can not upgrade:

grafik

So how can I smoothly upgrade my system, @ThomDietrich ?

I do have all my items/ rules files here:

I did copy all my .cfg files to my hardrive

I did change the user of openhab to admin to get GPIO to work, is that bug fixed?

I installed OLA this way:

So I guess the only thing I need to figure out is how to backup the persistence and all the config stuff made by paper UI, @rlkoshak mentioned that these files could be found somewhere on the RPI

So my step by step suggestion:

1. Rewrite the json DB for things discovered by PaperUI to .things file (located where?)
  2. Make .addon file to list all bindings needed(how?)
  3. Copy over the persistence files(located where?)
  4. Copy over all the.cfg files in here /etc/openhab2/services/ to my windows 10 laptop using samba share
  5. Sudo shutdown
  6. Take out the SD card
  7. Download and write latest openhabian to a NEW SD card
  8. Power up RPI
  9. Do sudo openhabian-config then 60 and press through all steps
  10. win+E type in //openhabian copy over files to /etc/openhab2/services
  11. grab files from git(how to do this?)
  12. Install OLA
  13. Reboot

And hopefully my system will work! Otherwise swap back to the old SD card…

Is this the procedure whenever you want to get a fresh system up running?(When the RPI starts to LAG…)

It depends on the database. The embedded db files (rrd4j, mapdb, etc) are stored in userdata/persistence. For other dbs like MySQL and InfluxDB you will have to look at how to backup and restore for that db. I do know that InfluxDB and PostgreSQL store their db files in /var/lib.

If you are on a recent OH (2.2) there are backup and restore scripts in /usr/share/openhab2/bin (I think) that you should use.

But, if you are sticking to the same version of OH and just upgrading openHABian then the following should work.

1. Stop openHAB
  2. Create backups of /etc/openhab2 and /var/lib/openhab2 and move them off the SD card
  3. Download the latest openHABian to a new SD card and follow the instructions for a new openHABian install.
  4. In openhabian-config make sure to configure samba to share all the OH files (I forget what menu and my little test machine is offline).
  5. Stop openHAB
  6. Copy the backup of /etc/openhab2 to //openhabian/config (or something like that)
  7. Copy the backup of /var/lib/openhab2 to //openhabian/userdata (or something like that)
1 Like

So will all addons be automatically installed if i just copy files back and forth? I thought there is a file somewhere where I can spesify which addons to install…

I was also thinking about moving the things configured in paper-ui to .things files, how can I do this?

All the addons installed through Karaf or PaperUI end up in userdata. By copying userdata over completely you will get all the addons. Note that this only works if you are moving to the same version of OH. If you are moving to a new version then you need to reinstall the addons and the above procedure won’t work.

If you want to manage your addons through text config instead of PaperUI et al you cna use conf/services/addons.cfg.

Depends on the binding. Some bindings have a well defined and documented way to create Things in .things files (e.g. Astro). Others do not. For example, to use .things files with Zwave you need to use the development version of the binding and you have to troll through the forum to find the syntax for the Things. Support for text based Things is not yet supported in the officially released binding or even in the snapshot.

Last night I browsed through userdata:

It seems like the only thing I had configured as things as json db were chromecast binding, which I dont use since it does not support youtube… and lots of autodiscowered network devices

For persitance I found all my rrrdj4 files, they are now safely been backuped

However it seems like the config files for the installed bindings are stored at differnet locations inside the userdata(etc, root,org…) as well as in the textfile in the addons catalog.

So to quickly reinstall all the bindings I need to make a addons.cfg file, however its not completly clear to me the syntax of this file. I assume its comma seperated,

I do use :

Bindings:

• Astro,
  • Chromecast,
  • dmx-ola,
  • exec,
  • expire,
  • gpio,
  • http,
  • mqtt,
  • netatmo,
  • network

user interfaces:

• Basic UI
  • Paper UI

persitence:

• influxDB(not implemented yet)
  • MapDB
  • RRD4J

actions:

• mail
  • pushover

then transformation

• exec
  • javascript,
  • json
  • map

misc:

• Hue emulation(Gonna swap over to the alexa binding)
  • Openhab Cloud
  • Rest documentation

So I guess some work at the paper UI is needed…

That’s an old thread. Kai’s approach will work just fine. But there are other approaches that work as well.

• The Docs:
    Exec 1.x version binding:

Exec 2.x version binding

• PaperUI:

The comments in addons.cfg describe the syntax and acceptable values.

# A comma-separated list of bindings to install (e.g. "sonos,knx,zwave")
binding = zwave,astro,expire1,network,http1,nest1,mqtt1

There is a separate line for each tab in PaperUI. There should be an addons.cfg file in conf/services that you can edit.