Upnp/dlna Audio Sink Binding

I am currently using web audio for my audio sink, but I need something a bit more reliable. I’m not well versed on all of the audio architectures, but many of them appear to have three components, the renderer which makes the sound, a controller, and a server which provides the data to the renderer.
Is there something simple, perhaps a DLNA/upnp or other service that can be an audio sink to an OpenHAB binding?
I have an AllPlay speaker, but have not been successful getting the AllJoyn infrastructure to work. Any kind of cheap network speaker, or USB speaker on a Pi would work for me. High quality is not a requirement, because I’m going to use it for alerts like doorbells and such.

Just use a Google home Mini with the chromecast binding or Amazon Echo dot with Echo control binding. Very cheap and usable for voice control - so perfect for smart home. I use them for voice notifications and voice commands to control my home.

I’ll look into this. Thanks. Do you know if they work without an internet connection, or do they always need to be in contact with Amazon or Google?

Update: Yeah, this requires the “cloud”. I know it’s like plugging the dike with your finger, but I try to keep as much private as possible.

Hi Brian

I was struggeling with the same issue…It took me some time but I had to change a bit my plan. Here my findings…

1. openhab provides audio sinks (incl. TTS specially since 2.4 with Pico…) that are available with different bindings (chromecast, sonos…) or if you attach a speaker to your openhab box
  2. For most openhab boxes, specially Linux based (NAS, Pi…) bluetooth audio does not seem to work very well as audiosink
  3. Instead of using audiosinks, you can use different devices to output audio via other means:
    a) Android (where you might run HabPanel or HabpanelVierwer) you can use TTS apps that have a HTTP interface (I tried TTS from TK solutions which offers a HTTP interface you can address with HTTP binding)
    b) Mycroft can be adressed via HTTP to output voice
    c) A extra Pi with audio and installed PICO can also do the voice output via HTTP binding

What I want to say is that I got stuck using the sinks, and then decided to use devices and send the commands for example with HTTP binding to have them produce the message independent from openhab TTS and sink capcaities.

Maybe that helps