UPS for Raspi 4 B with openhabian

Hi James, could you give me a hand with the battery, I have followed the indications for a 6000mah battery in the motherboard manual:

It tells me these types of batteries are valid:

1. 3.7V lithium polymer batteries
  2. 3.7V 18650/21700/21650 battery pack
    I find type 1 in aliexpress but the delivery date is in October, type 2) I cannot find but I am not very sure. The truth of electronics and batteries I do not understand much
    Could you send me an example of type 2) 3.7V 18650/21700/21650 battery pack valid for board (Page Not Found - Aliexpress.com) that you recommended me.Thank You

The most important thing is the connector PH2.0 the voltage 3.7v and lithium polymer.

As I don’t know your location it is hard for me to tell you where to source locally. Maybe Hobby shop or electronics store. Ebay can also be faster to get things from.

the 18650/21700/21650 variants of batteries will need a holder and a cable with a PH2.0 connector.

my location is spain

Friend James, here I still require your help, I hope I am not too heavy. what I wanted is to connect the raspi4 (zwave devices) with openhabian to the board by awg cable and also connect another raspi3 with deconz (zigbee) by usb where I have installed all the zigbee devices, to protect the two rasperry with power failure, I found the following on amazon:
Which one would you recommend me to support both devices at the same time (the battery does not need to last 5 hours, it can have a power cut of 1 or 2 at most:

1. 4500mah capacity.
    https://www.amazon.es/dp/B095BP7V1D/?coliid=I27KXTCWTNANSD&colid=2JQYE1O7ZMKIG&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it&th=1
  2. 10500mah capacity.
    DC 3,7v 10500 Mah 1060110 sustitución de baterías de polímero de Iones de Litio para Batería de alimentación portátil para Robot DIY : Amazon.es: Electrónica

I will look for a ph2.0 connector at a local electronics store for the battery.

Thank you very much for your attention and patience.

I am considering another possibility, it could be possible two Samsung batteries connected in parallel, summary
2500 + 2500 = 5000 mAh.

https://www.amazon.es/INR18650-25R-18650-2500-MAH-Tapa-plana-8pcs/dp/B099QB1GD3/ref=sr_1_5?__mk_es_ES=ÅMÅŽ� % 95% C3% 91 & dchild = 1 & keywords = battery% 2B3% 2C7v% 2B18650% 2BmAh & qid = 1627385415 & sr = 8-5 & th = 1

with a battery holder

and the

any recommendation will be welcome
Thank you

I don’t know how the Rasperry handles overvoltage in that case. But why invent the wheel again? Why not just using a powerbank, which allows simultaneous charging and discharging? There’s plenty of powerbanks capable of doing just that and no need for soldering and stuff! :wink:

1 Like

You are right that it is the easiest solution, but I have read comments, about powerbank that can be recharged and discharged at the same time, that when there is a power failure, it affects the raspberry and that small cut, can cause power problems of the raspebery pi4, I imagine that if you are recommending it to me it is because you have carried out the test and have not had a problem with the raspi4?
Also the maximum output for each usb is 4 x 5V / 2.4A (max)
The official feeder of the Raspi4 offers 3A, with it it could give feeding problems with raspi4.
I am looking online and it seems that there is no stock at least from my country Spain

I tested with EasyAcc 20Ah (Modell PB20000MS) and it did puffer the cut when main power cord is shut off or put in. But yes, there’s some powerbanks with passthrough, that don’t puffer it and have short cuts in power supply, which can affect the Pi.

unfortunately, I think the model is EOL - perhaps " Xiaomi Mi Power Bank 3 Pro ACCS 20000 mAh IN" is still around, it should also do the trick.
If you’re thinking on soldering, you could of course add a condensator in between the powerbank and the Pi, which should also do the trick.

Power consumption of your system

Pi 3 2.5amp at 5.1 v + Pi4 3amps + other usb devices 0.5am = 6amp

The UPS Board that I have and you have bought is rated at 3amp so it will not run both PI’s as it need to convert the 3.7v to 5.1V.

If I had have known you want 2 systems I would recommend buying a UPS from your local pc shop.

Now that you have purchased a UPS board and any of those batt options will do what you want it too for one system.

For the second system you can just get a USB power bank that will passthrough while charging. However this may not start your pi when the power is turned back on. Then just have the PI ping the first PI and if it loses connection for a time turn off.

1 Like

thanks for all

Hi james, I already have the board and battery I send you a photo, I charge the battery until D1D2D3D4 green led on and red led charge status flashing, I connect a device to the usb output to see if you can power it, a simple light and ok as you see In the photo when removing the power supply it turns off, I understand that there is a problem with the battery and it is not valid for the board?
With the power supply connected D1 blink and led red status charge blink:

but when disconnecting the connected power supply D1 blink and led red status charge blink:

I think I have a problem with the battery?

You could try and update the firmware. It is the first thing I did.

How much power does the light use? Try something needing more power.

In the end I found the power bank that you indicated to me
https://www.amazon.es/EasyAcc-Batería-20000mAh-Powerbank-Linterna/dp/B01422TC14
So, with this connector charger to charge continuously and my raspi4 connected to the powerbank, you have verified that having a power failure, the raspi 4 continue to work without cuts, my yellow rays and when the current returns it continues to charge without having to touch any button, if so, I’m going to ask for my other raspi 4

hi james, already working, I disconnect power and the raspi continues working.
I’m going to test all Python programs to see how they work

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 41 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.