Use of attachements with sendMail action

Hi,

I’m quite a newbie to openHAB and the community, so I’m a little in doubt if this is the right place for my topic – sorry if not.

I was inspired to send image snapshot from my door cam when the doorbell is activated, from this page:

My door cam offers still picture at:

http://192.168.16.8/cgi-bin/encoder?USER=UsernameRemoved&PWD=PasswordRemoved&SNAPSHOT=N640x480,100

I’ve got it to work by the following rule:

rule “Door cam image"
when
Item T_ST1_RingklokkeBagdor changed from OFF to ON
then
sendMail(“my@email.dk”, “Ringklokke bagdør aktiveret”, “”, “http://192.168.16.8/cgi-bin/encoder?USER=UsernameRemoved&PWD=PasswordRemoved&SNAPSHOT=N640x480,100”)
end

My headache is, that the e-mail attachment has no file extension, but is only named “encoder”, which my mobile phone doesn’t like. I have tried just to fill in “.png” following the filename “encoder” in the door cam URL, but that’s not working at all. Opening the e-mail attachment on my Win10 PC, lets me choose what program to use, and using for an example Windows Paint, lets me see the image snapshot.

I would like to know, if anyone can explain a way to provide a file extension to the attachment?

Thanks’ in advance,

Regards Ole

1 Like

Hi Ole,

I just happened to be playing with exactly the same thing. After a lot of hours of testing and googling I managed to sort of make it work. I think you need to just save it the image in your OS and then send it via email as an attachment
I tested this with my foscam and it works

Here is what I did

// Create a file in /home/openhab/ with the current time and date. Make sure /home/openhab folder exists and the permissions are set to openhab user
var outputFile = "/home/openhab/FrontDoor"+ now.toString ("HH-mm_dd-MM-yyyy") +".jpg"
// the url where you will be sending the query. 
var url = "http://192.XX.XX.XX:88/cgi-bin/CGIProxy.fcgi?cmd=snapPicture2&usr=admin&pwd=XXXXX"
//here we construct the command to execute
var cmd = "wget --output-document " + outputFile + " " + url
// here is the execute command. You need to put a delay of 5 seconds otherwise it does not work. Not sure why is that
executeCommandLine(cmd,5000)
// send the email
sendMail("XXX@mail.com", "Camera snapshots", "Here is a camera snapshot", "file:///" + outputFile)

Let me know if this works for you

1 Like

Hi Ole, good question. I’m struggeling with the same issue.

@cgeo: Hi Christos, good idea. Unfortunatly that didn’t work for me. @OB75 Did it work for you?

I’m wondering about the definition of the variable url, because the variable url isn’t used after definition.
Is there something missing?

Thanks.

Rud

@anfaenger

Yes you are right there was something missing. It was very late at night and my focus abilities were at the lowest :slight_smile:

Let me know if it works

Regards,
Christos

Can you show us, what’s missing?

Thanks.

I just edited my original post with the missing url variable

Hi,

Thank you for the replies.

Initially I can not make it to work. I’m pretty sure it has something to do with setting the file path.

I’m running OpenHAB on a Windows Homeserver, from C:\openHAB2. Here I have made a library named temp. So my wish is to write the file in C:\openHAB2\temp\

I have commented out the “send mail part” of the rule, so only the execute command is done when “ringing my door bell”

I’m in doubt if I shall use “/” or “”, but have tried to define the path with:

var outputFile = "/temp/FrontDoor"+ now.toString ("HH-mm_dd-MM-yyyy") +".jpg"

and

var outputFile = "C:/openHAB2/temp/FrontDoor"+ now.toString ("HH-mm_dd-MM-yyyy") +".jpg"

Both generates the following warn in the OpenHAB log, and no file appear in the library “temp”

08:22:29.399 [WARN ] [lipse.smarthome.io.net.exec.ExecUtil] - Execution failed (Exit value: -559038737. Caused by java.io.IOException: Cannot run program “wget” (in directory “.”): CreateProcess error=2, The system cannot find the file specified)

Do you know what is the correct syntax for the path when running on a MS Win OS?

BR Ole

wget is not a native command in Windows, have you added some utility named that?

@rossko57
No, I have not. :frowning: I was not aware, that the wget command was bound to the variant of OS running OpenHAB.

Do you know if something similar is possible when running on a Win OS?

@cgeo
Should I in general not expect your example to be “windows compatible”?

BR O

You might find this thought provoking too

But even if there is a way, when it comes to the path syntax, I will get stuck on the lack of this “wget” command, when running my OpenHAB on a Win OS machine? Or did I misunderstand?

Sorry for my novice.

BR O

there seems to be a wget version for windows here

I have never tried it so I cannot comment on it but it might be worth checking it

Regards,
Christos

Thanks a lot, I will definitely check it out.

BR O

I have tried to get the wget to work, but unfortunately without success. I would say that I basically have done, as described in the corresponding documentation, as far as I understand.

The installation is carried out seamlessly, and I notice that something “wget related” is installed in c:\Program Files (x86)\GnuWin32.

However, running the wget command in OpenHAB result in the same warn as before.

[WARN ] [lipse.smarthome.io.net.exec.ExecUtil] - Execution failed (Exit value: -559038737. Caused by java.io.IOException: Cannot run program “wget” (in directory “.”): CreateProcess error=2, The system cannot find the file specified)

It might be misinterpreting the warn, but “Cannot run program “wget” (in directory “.”)” makes me wonder, if some part / files of the wget installation must reside in the folder from where OpenHAB is running (c:\openHAB2), or if manually registration of the command must be performed?

BR O

A short update on this one. Finally, I managed it to work.

I believe the problem has something to do with wget not being associated as a native command during installation, and I don’t know if it is possible to do so. As a workaround, changing the rule to use absolute paths worked for me.

var cmd = "c:\\Program Files (x86)\\GnuWin32\\bin\\wget.exe --output-document c:\\openHAB2\\temp\\bagdor.png http://192.168.16.8/cgi-bin/encoder?USER=user&PWD=pwd&SNAPSHOT=N640x480,100"
rule "E-mail door cam snapshot back door"
when   
		Item T_ST1_RingklokkeBagdor changed from OFF to ON
then   
// here is the execute command. You need to put a delay of 5 seconds otherwise it does not work. Not sure why is that
executeCommandLine(cmd,5000)
// send the email
sendMail("my@email.dk; my_wife@email.dk", "Ringklokke bagdør aktiveret!", "", "file:c:\\openHAB2\\temp\\bagdor.png")
end

Thank you for all contributions!

BR O

Hi, today I took a new approach to get this command running.
Also @watou suggested this in another post.
But I failed.
When I looked into it I realized, that strange things happen here. :astonished:

Just for testing I thought I do it step by step. So I typed in the following commandline at the puTTY-console and pressed ENTER:
wget --output-document /home/openhabian/cam/test.jpg http://192.168.xxx.xxx:xx/cgi-bin/CGIProxy.fcgi?cmd=snapPicture2&usr=xxxxxxxxxxxxx&pwd=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

What I don’t understand is: The console prompt appears and a new commandline is created automatically and is executed automatically!
And the valid url I had typed in has changed to a invalid url! As you can see here:

The created file /home/openhabian/cam/test.jpg is no picture, it’s a xml file with error code -2 = Username or password error. What could be expected, because of the invalid url: (Foscam FI9900P)

<CGI_Result>
    <result>-2</result>
</CGI_Result>

Can anyone explain this strange behavour?
Edit: Can anyone point me to a solution, how to get the cam-snapshot saved into test.jpg?
Regards.

You may be getting a redirect. Try enabling the verbose option and see if it provides more information.

Thanks! Sorry, I don’t know the verbose option. Do you mean I should switch to debug mode?
I did this and couldn’t see any related info. Maybe I do something wrong?

Edit: I found this https://wiki.ubuntuusers.de/wget/
So I changed my command to wget --verbose --output-document ... but didn’t get more information.

If you didn’t get more information from verbose, there’s something wrong with your wget.

Sorry, didn’t show you the informations provided by option verbose. See screenshot here

To see, if something is wrong with my wget I searched the web and found this command
apt-cache show wget which shows the following: (Should I be worried about: Conflicts: wget-ssl?)

Package: wget
Version: 1.16-1+deb8u2
Architecture: armhf
Maintainer: Noël Köthe <noel@debian.org>
Installed-Size: 1683
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.17), libgnutls-deb0-28 (>= 3.3.0), libidn11 (>= 1.13), libnettle4, libpsl0 (>= 0.4.0), libuuid1 (>= 2.16), zlib1g (>= 1:1.1.4)
Recommends: ca-certificates
Conflicts: wget-ssl
Multi-Arch: foreign
Homepage: http://www.gnu.org/software/wget/
Priority: important
Section: web
Filename: pool/main/w/wget/wget_1.16-1+deb8u2_armhf.deb
Size: 474544
SHA256: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
SHA1: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
MD5sum: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Description: retrieves files from the web
 Wget is a network utility to retrieve files from the web
 using HTTP(S) and FTP, the two most widely used internet
 protocols. It works non-interactively, so it will work in
 the background, after having logged off. The program supports
 recursive retrieval of web-authoring pages as well as FTP
 sites -- you can use Wget to make mirrors of archives and
 home pages or to travel the web like a WWW robot.
 Wget works particularly well with slow or unstable connections
 by continuing to retrieve a document until the document is fully
 downloaded. Re-getting files from where it left off works on
 servers (both HTTP and FTP) that support it. Both HTTP and FTP
 retrievals can be time stamped, so Wget can see if the remote
 file has changed since the last retrieval and automatically
 retrieve the new version if it has.
 Wget supports proxy servers; this can lighten the network load,
 speed up retrieval, and provide access behind firewalls.
Description-md5: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Package: wget
Priority: important
Section: web
Installed-Size: 1683
Maintainer: Noël Köthe <noel@debian.org>
Architecture: armhf
Multi-Arch: foreign
Version: 1.16-1+deb8u1
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.17), libgnutls-deb0-28 (>= 3.3.0), libidn11 (>= 1.13), libnettle4, libpsl0 (>= 0.4.0), libuuid1 (>= 2.16), zlib1g (>= 1:1.1.4)
Recommends: ca-certificates
Conflicts: wget-ssl
Conffiles:
 /etc/wgetrc xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Description: retrieves files from the web
 Wget is a network utility to retrieve files from the web
 using HTTP(S) and FTP, the two most widely used internet
 protocols. It works non-interactively, so it will work in
 the background, after having logged off. The program supports
 recursive retrieval of web-authoring pages as well as FTP
 sites -- you can use Wget to make mirrors of archives and
 home pages or to travel the web like a WWW robot.
 Wget works particularly well with slow or unstable connections
 by continuing to retrieve a document until the document is fully
 downloaded. Re-getting files from where it left off works on
 servers (both HTTP and FTP) that support it. Both HTTP and FTP
 retrievals can be time stamped, so Wget can see if the remote
 file has changed since the last retrieval and automatically
 retrieve the new version if it has.
 Wget supports proxy servers; this can lighten the network load,
 speed up retrieval, and provide access behind firewalls.
Description-md5: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Homepage: http://www.gnu.org/software/wget/

Like described here I did sudo apt-get install wget but that didn’ change anything. Still the same informations with option verbose.

I will get a different cam and see if the problem still exist. Thanks.