Using Z-Wave 1.x and 2.x bindings

Hi,

I am fairly new to openHAB but I got started by installing OH2 on my rpi3 and adding some Z-Wave devices using the 2.1.0 Z-Wave binding. Because I am facing some problems with these bindings I was wondering if it was possible to use 1.x bindings at the same time and how to do this.

When adding the controller in habmin and in the Z-Wave config file this was the error I encountered:

2017-11-28 17:58:42.326 [hingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - ‘zwave:serial_zstick:c621a757’ changed from OFFLINE (BRIDGE_OFFLINE): Controller is offline to OFFLINE (COMMUNICATION_ERROR): zwave.thingstate.serial_inuse

All help is welcome!
@chris , I know you are doing this, could you help me out?

this hints that something is not working properly with access to the USB port (are you using /dev/ttyACM0 or something similar in the Thing configuration?)

which file are you using? (you shouldn’t need to edit any file for the Z-Wave Controller Thing)

Which Z-Wave interface (USB Stick?) are you using?

I don’t know if it’s possible to use an older version (1.x) of the Z-Wave binding on OH2.
I would try to identify the root-cause of the problem and continue using the 2.x version.

zwavecfg

I am using the Razberry (checked the right boxes in openhabian-config :slight_smile: )

I actually did this before with only the 2.x binding installed.
Right now I installed a fresh image of openhabian, added the 2.x and 1.x Z-Wave binding and now I am confused with how to setup my controller. 1.x requires it to be set in the cfg file, 2.x requires it to be set in the paperUI. I know @chris is using both bindings simultaneously so I wonder how :wink:

No need to use that file (zwave.cfg) when using OH2 with the Z-Wave 2.x binding (actually: you should delete that file)

This may be a misunderstanding… I don’t see how you can have 2 bindings talking to the same controller in parallel… (most likely: this is the root-cause of the “serial_inuse” error)

try to use the 2.x version (only) and use PaperUI to scan for the things (first should be the controller)

No - it’s not possible to use them “simultaneously” since only one binding can access the USB stick at any time. It is possible to swap between OH1 and OH2 bindings if you wanted, but only one can be used at once.

Thank you for your answer!

I’ll figure the 2.x bindings and report my problems.
Thanks for pointing this out!