Video Capture on Same Board as OpenHAB?

I am new to OpenHAB and am in the planning stage of a project and need some insight into what is possible with OpenHAB. I am trying to determine a plausible way of using one of the new Raspberry Pi 3’s as a means of capturing video from a USB camera, displaying that output to the HDMI port, saving the video to an HDD (via USB to SATA), as well as providing some simple home-automation support (such as reed switch monitoring and magnetic door lock triggering).

I have some background in embedded systems but I’m new to using the Pi as well as OpenHAB, so I’m not sure whether (1) it is possible to handle all of this functionality on a single Pi at all, and further to that (2) whether a Pi could support OpenHAB as well as the video features I listed above. It seems that Motion software is highly recommended for the video features I look to incorporate and I wonder if anyone has tried to use these features on the same device that is hosting OpenHAB.

I would ideally like to avoid the need for a second Pi. Any tips or points in a good direction would be appreciated.

Thanks very much.

Compared to the original Pi the gen 3 is very powerful. I suspect (but can’t say for sure) that it will be plenty powerful enough to run OH and process the video, though I suspect that the limiting factor will be RAM, not processor.

Thanks Rich. Appreciate that insight. Is there any data on minimum RAM recommendations for OH? I could work from there to see what kind of RAM I’d have remaining for video.

Personally my experience with openHAB on a Raspberry Pi 2 was underwhelming. The Pi 3 is going to be better but the 1G of RAM and poor I/O of the Raspberry Pi are going to be real limitations. The Pi 3 does WiFi through a separate interface from the USB bus so maybe it’s better in that respect but I think that you’re going to be disappointed with the performance trying to run both the video capture and openHAB a single Raspberry Pi.

Don’t get me wrong, I think that Raspberry Pis are awesome (I have 6) but they’re best suited for applications where their small size, I/O capabilities, or low power usage are critical factors.

On the other hand, all you have to lose is your time. If a single Pi3 can’t keep up it’s easy enough to move openHAB to a 2nd Pi3 or an old PC running Linux.