Virtual Machine with openhabian image to improve the start for new OH-Developers

Dear Community,

I got stuck by a few errors, so the launch script of openhab didn’t start up the system properly. It looks like it has something to do with jetty. Anyway this postponed my activities in participating here for weeks.

In other projects, when we need to bring people into development for a project, we offer them a virtual machine image, they just import the machine in their virtual box and they are ready for take off!

Should we offer such an image in general? Can someone of you who got such an image share it with me, that I am able to contribute - Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
Jochen

3 Likes

+1, would be great

People are always quick to ask for, but doing such a thing is nowhere not as simple as you put it.
To properly create and maintain images like that is a lot of work (and as a openHABian contributor I think I’m in a proper position to tell. Doing so for a small target audience (OH developers) probably isn’t worth the effort. YMMV, but that’s how most of those few potential image creators will likely see it (and if you disagree, why not jump in yourself ?)
You can install openHABian at any time, even on top of x86 servers. You still need to install the IDE, but that part is likely about to change, too, as the build process also just changed with ESH reintegration.

Thanks for your thoughts on that matter, Markus. I would offer an image, but I am not able to get the IDE running - that is exactly the problem. Of course you are right, that we need to consider all the efforts for creating and maintaining it. The real question is in my opinion, how else can we make sure that people are able to get the IDE running without any problems?

We offer such images for ROS-Development for our students in combination with an USB-storage. The underlying operating system is ubuntu. I am not sure if it is possible to create such an image with openhabian and the current IDE setup. In our ros-case it is not that hard to offer such images and the students saved a lot of time.

The relation maintenance works vs. savings for users is very different here which turns an otherwise good idea into a bad one in terms of efficiency.

There’s almost no people to have raised issues in setting up the IDE at all. Possibly they did so on the ESH forum and with ESH shutting down we might see more move here, but let’s wait and see.
And as already replied and given you say you’ve got experience in doing that, why don’t you jump in yourself and provide your image ?

I am not able to get the IDE running, so I am not able to create a working image.

I think this is related to the move of eclipse smart home into openHAB core and also the move to a pure maven build. This causes some temporary instability and also makes it difficult to pinpoint your problem to the changes or something else. Unfortunately I have no better advice than to keep an eye on the openHAB-core project and forum here. If we have a stable situation again it should be sufficient easy for someone to get started by installing eclipse with openHAB. For example there is no need for all kind of external applications to get things running (for development) which would much more warrant having an image. On the other hand I would expect developers at least be able to install eclipse. Some level of knowledge is desired, if it only would be the bindings developed have some quality. Otherwise it will be a long review process. It not like they must use it, unlike your students :smiley:

Thanks for your comment - that means currently there are problems with the installation guide or maven builds for everyone? Of course I think that noone will need an image, if all runs out of the box smoothly.

I agree. Even with openhabian, I had to make a lot of manual script changes and tweaks for a friend running Debian.

Dear Community,

is the current IDE setup description working for anyone?

Best regards,
Jochen

Hello Community,

for me the IDE Setup description is not working too.

I would like to have a working description or an image.

Best Regards,
Lars

Personally I put all my development efforts on hold (the queue of open issues for MQTT is growing unfortunately, sigh). But it was expected that after OH 2.5M1 release and the reintegration process with a build system change at the same + bundle renames that the IDE setup would break.

You should watch The Road Ahead - Reintegrating ESH where Kai periodically posts progress information.

See also here: https://github.com/openhab/openhab-core/issues/513#issuecomment-462764668

Cheers, David

Just wondering - how do the current core developers currently create their builds and what kind of tools they are using? They do need a working environment too, don’t they?

1 Like

Hi @ all,

i retried it with different version of eclipse.

for me it’s working, when i choose eclipse 2018-9 or 2018-09. i selected all under github -> openhab

after all jobs are finished, i have now a working version. ok, some errors are shown on startup and some projects are marked as error, but i can access webfrontend.

greets
lars

Thanks Lars,

I will give it a try. Since weeks I am not able to get the IDE running - unbelievable!

Cheers
Jochen

The IDE install worked for me after it was updated. I installed on a fully-patched current version of OpenSUSE, which is where I do most of my development.

I think I have the IDE itself running, and I can start the project and hit breakpoints and things. I’m having problems finding specific items in the Package Manager and Project Explorer, though.

It’s been forever and a day (at least fifteen years) since I did any Java work, and there’s a bunch of probably simple getting started again questions I’ll need to ask. Hopefully I can get to a point where I can consider doing something useful!

Windows 10 + Eclipse IDE 2018-09 + openHAB 2.5 with Basic-Demo works! There are still lots of problems but I can reach PaperUI and BasicUI.

@Laufeyjarson: what Eclipse IDE you are using and did you start by hitting the bnd-file or the openHAB-launch-script?

When it runs in openSUSE, maybe it will start in Ubuntu too… and then I guess I will be able to create an image file for virtual box.

I followed the Wiki pretty directly. I installed Git… which led me to discover my OpenSUSE was old, so I paused and upgraded that to the current Leap 15.0 release. Then I installed Maven as per the directions and made sure it was in my PATH. Then I installed the Oracle Java JDK. I filled with /etc/alternatives a little to make sure I had the right Java in my path, and then I installed Eclipse, from the link on the Wiki. I used the Advanced Mode to pick OpenHab from Github. According to the About box, it’s Eclipse 2018-12 (4.10.0), build 20181214-0600.

I installed the IDE For Add-On Development, and launched via the menu, as suggested.

Looking at the output of a launch, there are a bunch of things that might be wrong that I just ignored, though. Errors about things missing… but it launches!