Weather Binding won't install

Hi,
I’m a beginner with openhab and I’m trying to set up the environment. I successfully installed already some addons and made them work (hue, mqtt) but I’m experiencing issues with weather binding. I copied the jar file inside the addons folder, my conf file:

#location configuration, you can specify multiple locations
weather:location.home.name=Home
weather:location.home.latitude=47.8011
weather:location.home.longitude=13.0448
weather:location.home.provider=Yahoo
weather:location.home.language=en
weather:location.home.updateInterval=60

and I have the item

DateTime ObservationTime  "[%1$td.%1$tm.%1$tY %1$tH:%1$tM]" (Weather) {weather="locationId=home, type=condition, property=observationTime"}

But it seems the binding won’t install, because I don’t see any entry logged referring the binding (except for the item creation) and also the file logback.xml doesn’t not contain the key:

<logger name="org.openhab.binding.weather" level="DEBUG" />

Could anyone help me to figure out what’s going on?

Thank you!

Regards,

Hi @mortommy

there is an existing thread that might be usefull for you:

cheers
Karsten

Hi @karsten_kaiser_1971,
thank you for your answer. I already saw the post but I didn’t find a solution for me. I’ll look again carefully the config section, it seems most of the issues come from there.

Verify that the weather binding’s jar file is in the same folder as your working mqtt and hue binding jar files.

With the default logging configuration you should see log statements along the lines of:

2015-10-23 12:41:38.253 [INFO ] [o.o.b.w.i.common.WeatherConfig] - LocationConfig[providerName=YAHOO,language=en,updateInterval=10,latitude=XX.XXXXX,longitude=YYY.YYYYY,locationId=home,name=Home]
2015-10-23 12:41:41.264 [INFO ] [.o.b.w.i.s.WeatherJobScheduler] - Starting and scheduling weatherJob-home with interval of 10 minutes

These lines will not necessarily be next to each other. If you don’t see these your weather jar file may be corrupted or isn’t there. Try re-downloading and reinstalling it.

If you are on Linux, I highly recommend using the apt-get installation method for openHAB and bindings so you have a standardized and well configured baseline to start from.

Hi @rlkoshak,
thank you for your answer. I reinstalled the jar file using apt-get (yes I’m on linux), cannot see the entries logged yet.

Is your entire openHAB installed using apt-get? If openhab-core isn’t installed using apt-get a different folder structure is used. Instead of addons going to /opt/openhab/addons they go to /usr/share/openhab/addons

The Weather binding is pretty basic and simple. If openHAB can see the binding you should at least get those log statements or errors in the log. If you see nothing at all it points to there being something wrong with the jar file (it isn’t in the right folder, it is corrupted, etc).

@rlkoshak, since my addons folder was located in /usr/share/openhab/addons I decided to go for uninstall openhab and install it via apt-get, but the folder has been created in the same location. Is there any conf file to change?
thank you.

I’m not clear what you have or haven’t done.

You need to install:

sudo apt-get install openhab-runtime

and then install the binding:

sudo apt-get install openhab-addon-binding-weather

Then add the configuration to /etc/openhab/configurations/openhab.cfg as you have them in your initial post.
Then create your Items and put them on your Sitemap.

Hi,
after a clean install, I was able to make the binding working, but I guess that the previous installation was just fine and I had missed to restart openhab. Also after the clean install I couldn’t see anything in my log until have rebooted openhab.
Thank you to everyone.

1 Like

I used apt-get but still my files goes to /usr/share/openhab/addons, FYI

Correct. If you install via apt-get addons go in /usr/share/openhab/addons

Is your entire openHAB installed using apt-get? If openhab-core isn’t installed using apt-get a different folder structure is used. Instead of addons going to /usr/share/openhab/addons they go to /opt/openhab/addons