WeatherCompany binding (WeatherUnderground replacement for PWS data uploaders only!)

Another observation. this might be related to the way the weather company handles the PWS data and the resolution they provide or some mistaken setting after change to the new API on my side.

t seems, that the weather company provide data with 0.5C increment only.
as seen in this graph of the last 7 days of temperature here in Sweden. on the left the data with the Wunderground API (small increment) and on the right the data from weather company API

Yes, 0.5C and 1.0F increments. Iā€™ve already seen a few complaints about that on the Wx forums.

Ah, I see now. Itā€™s actually worse than that. All units are Imperial (temp, wind speed, etc.) in the fields that can be translated to local language. I had not anticipated that they would translate the words but not the units. Iā€™ll need to think a bit about how to handle this. :frowning_face:

Oh wow - now I see the post on the WX forum
quite a crazy move from weather company to cull all decimals from the data. It doesnā€™t make sense for values in Celsius at all. And why? to safe bandwidth or storage?

I guess they think those pesky fractions arenā€™t important to anyone. LOL

1 Like

I think I have an approach for this. Iā€™d like it if you could check it out when itā€™s ready. Iā€™ll post back here once I have something working.

1 Like

Thing Status quickly changes from Online to to ā€œStatus: OFFLINE - COMMUNICATION_ERROR HTTP GET failed: 204, No Contentā€. Any thoughts what could be the issue?

Thanks;

Good news in terms of the precision issue from we forum
Change to api expected in nd of April. Letā€™s see

1 Like

No idea. Can you post a debug log so I can see the URL being sent to TWC. Make sure you strip out your API key before posting.

I donā€™t see any url requests going to TWC in my log file, am I looking at a wrong place?

Thereā€™s a new version. Can you give it a try?

I tested it with Country=Sweden in openHAB config and Language=Swedish in the thing config. It seemed to work correctly.

Did you enable debug mode for the binding? In the Karaf console you type

log:set DEBUG org.openhab.binding.weathercompany

And to get out of debug mode.

log:set INFO org.openhab.binding.weathercompany

Yes, I have and I donā€™t see any references to TWC, weathercompany or anything like my api key.

Ah, sorry, the URLs are logged only when the binding starts. Can you stop/start the binding?

Sorry too long a file.

Just post the URLs. Make sure you remove the API key.

BTW, the latest version of the binding doesnā€™t log the API key.

14:44:13.770 [DEBUG] [nternal.handler.WeatherCompanyHandler] - Forecast URL is https://api.weather.com/v3/wx/forecast/daily/5day?units=e&format=json&language=en-US&apiKey=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx&geocode=32.987510,-96.91758
14:44:13.770 [DEBUG] [nternal.handler.WeatherCompanyHandler] - PWS observations URL is https://api.weather.com/v2/pws/observations/current?units=e&format=json&stationId=pws:KTXCARRO16&apiKey=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

14:44:17.077 [DEBUG] [nternal.handler.WeatherCompanyHandler] - Handler: Requesting PWS observations from The Weather Company API
14:44:17.273 [DEBUG] [nternal.handler.WeatherCompanyHandler] - Handler: Forecast refresh failed. Setting thing OFFLINE: HTTP GET failed: 204, No Content
14:44:17.273 [INFO ] [ome.event.ThingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - ā€˜weathercompany:weather:localā€™ changed from ONLINE to OFFLINE (COMMUNICATION_ERROR): HTTP GET failed: 204, No Content
14:44:17.274 [DEBUG] [nternal.handler.WeatherCompanyHandler] - HTTP GET failed: 204, No Content
14:44:17.274 [DEBUG] [nternal.handler.WeatherCompanyHandler] - Handler: Received null response to request

Sorry for not answering sooner. I have the WS-1401-IP. It has all the data elements supported by ambientweather.net. The downside is that the gateway device that talks to the sensor array, and uploads data to WU and ambientweather.net, is a bit flaky and needs to be restarted every now and then. Otherwise Iā€™m very happy with it.

The station ID doesnā€™t need the pws: prefix. Edit the config and just enter KTXCARRO16.

I did try it with/without pws a couple of times, didnā€™t work then, but works now, at least its status shows online.

Mark, thanks for the help!

A friend of mine is a big fan of Acurite weather centers and has offered me a discount code which will provide a great savings. Your new binding pulls from WU correct? So as long as it updates WU I could feasibly use any brand??? Would I lose anything by not having an ambient weather center?