Well I had it happen

Everythings’s bigger in the U.S. than over here in EU, from parking lots to SD cards to presidential wisdom, isn’t it? :wink: You can go with any size of 4G or larger. Just make it two devices.

1 Like

It was the Russians fault.:laughing:

1 Like

Did I learn my lesson about backups? Yes :slight_smile: I make a backup copy of my entire configuration after any modification I make. But, openhabian has made it so simple to commission a brand new RPI that I don’t make any more image backups or anything of the sort.

Did I incorporate any of the other common sense/logic in your post into my life? No - sometimes, anectodal evidence and personal experience trump logic and common sense :smiley: I have 5+ years of combined runtime on two of these USB sticks that outlived the ~1 month each of runtime on these SD cards, and if anything, my openHAB has gotten more write-happy with the increased number of devices/items/persisted states. I still use the same brand SD card as a boot device with the USB stick as the rootfs, so I think i’m beyond the scope of statistical anomaly and in the realm of probable root cause (SD card as rootfs = fail). Unless, of course, the two SD cards I had fail were B-stock duds, or came from a bad batch, but still - what am I doing different that keeps my USB sticks alive for such a long time?

1 Like