Wemo not working anymore

I’ve open a post on the gentoo forum to see if someone can help me, but I’m not sure someone will chip in…

Well, I end up ditching the bindings. I’m using node red with http request to communicate and verify if the plug decided to switch port for no reason.

What would fix the binding is enabling a way to put ip in the things. I don’t need to full discovery, I have all of them on fixed ip. That could make it more reliable (many times I had the bindings stop working or could only flip 1 or 2 switch).

The binding does not need to be fixed, as it is not broken. This has been proved by many many users.
I will not add IP-Address config to the binding, as we need UPnP for the event system.

Ok, so I redid my me hole server from scratch. I installed lubuntu this time instead of Gentoo, which is Ubuntu lightweight. Reinstalled docker, started a new openhab from which I imported items and all. And all my wemo switch and dimmer where discovered, telling me my Gentoo was very problematic.

But a question I have. Since I did that, I had to restart my WiFi. Well now, none of the wemo switch work in openhab while they work in the wemo app. When that happened with my Gentoo install, that’s when I used to reboot my openhab docker container. When it was on my windows, I used to have same problem, randomly loosing some or all wemo switches control from openhab

I need to see the trace log of when this happens. There was an issue Wemo devices changing ports randomly, but i fixed that long ago.

I’ll keep an eye out for the next time. Happened yesterday and fixed with a reboot. I’ll print the log next time

just got the problem, rooter restarted, can’t control anymore without restart of the container:

2021-01-13 14:32:26.075 [INFO ] [io.openhabcloud.internal.CloudClient] - Connected to the openHAB Cloud service (UUID = faa895d3-afe2-47a1-a243-2213850f7fd2, base URL = http://localhost:9999)
2021-01-13 14:42:29.534 [DEBUG] [o.internal.handler.WemoDimmerHandler] - WeMo UPnP device Dimmer-1_0-241742K1502433 not yet registered
2021-01-13 14:42:29.535 [DEBUG] [o.internal.handler.WemoDimmerHandler] - Setting up WeMo GENA subscription for 'org.openhab.binding.wemo.internal.handler.WemoDimmerHandler@4b8029cd' FAILED - service.isRegistered(this) is FALSE
2021-01-13 14:42:55.718 [TRACE] [ng.wemo.internal.handler.WemoHandler] - Command 'OFF' received for channel 'wemo:lightswitch:Lightswitch-1_0-221801K1300AEE:state'
2021-01-13 14:42:57.823 [TRACE] [ng.wemo.internal.handler.WemoHandler] - Command 'ON' received for channel 'wemo:lightswitch:Lightswitch-1_0-221801K1300AEE:state'
2021-01-13 14:42:58.695 [TRACE] [ng.wemo.internal.handler.WemoHandler] - Command 'ON' received for channel 'wemo:lightswitch:Lightswitch-1_0-221742K1300E8F:state'
2021-01-13 14:43:21.709 [DEBUG] [ng.wemo.internal.handler.WemoHandler] - WeMo UPnP device Lightswitch-1_0-221813K13000C6 not yet registered
2021-01-13 14:43:21.710 [DEBUG] [ng.wemo.internal.handler.WemoHandler] - Setting up WeMo GENA subscription for 'org.openhab.binding.wemo.internal.handler.WemoHandler@10c14560' FAILED - service.isRegistered(this) is FALSE
2021-01-13 14:43:21.971 [DEBUG] [ng.wemo.internal.handler.WemoHandler] - WeMo UPnP device Lightswitch-1_0-221742K1300E03 not yet registered
2021-01-13 14:43:21.972 [DEBUG] [ng.wemo.internal.handler.WemoHandler] - Setting up WeMo GENA subscription for 'org.openhab.binding.wemo.internal.handler.WemoHandler@569876d5' FAILED - service.isRegistered(this) is FALSE
2021-01-13 14:43:21.985 [DEBUG] [ng.wemo.internal.handler.WemoHandler] - WeMo UPnP device Lightswitch-1_0-221742K1300F07 not yet registered
2021-01-13 14:43:21.985 [DEBUG] [ng.wemo.internal.handler.WemoHandler] - Setting up WeMo GENA subscription for 'org.openhab.binding.wemo.internal.handler.WemoHandler@5729a7ce' FAILED - service.isRegistered(this) is FALSE
2021-01-13 14:43:22.544 [DEBUG] [ng.wemo.internal.handler.WemoHandler] - WeMo UPnP device Lightswitch-1_0-221742K1300E8F not yet registered
2021-01-13 14:43:22.544 [DEBUG] [ng.wemo.internal.handler.WemoHandler] - Setting up WeMo GENA subscription for 'org.openhab.binding.wemo.internal.handler.WemoHandler@7db92817' FAILED - service.isRegistered(this) is FALSE
2021-01-13 14:43:27.444 [DEBUG] [ng.wemo.internal.handler.WemoHandler] - WeMo UPnP device Socket-1_0-221630K010119E not yet registered
2021-01-13 14:43:27.445 [DEBUG] [ng.wemo.internal.handler.WemoHandler] - Setting up WeMo GENA subscription for 'org.openhab.binding.wemo.internal.handler.WemoHandler@5a910397' FAILED - service.isRegistered(this) is FALSE
2021-01-13 14:43:29.536 [DEBUG] [o.internal.handler.WemoDimmerHandler] - WeMo UPnP device Dimmer-1_0-241742K1502433 not yet registered
2021-01-13 14:43:29.537 [DEBUG] [o.internal.handler.WemoDimmerHandler] - Setting up WeMo GENA subscription for 'org.openhab.binding.wemo.internal.handler.WemoDimmerHandler@4b8029cd' FAILED - service.isRegistered(this) is FALSE
2021-01-13 14:43:34.119 [TRACE] [ng.wemo.internal.handler.WemoHandler] - Command 'OFF' received for channel 'wemo:lightswitch:Lightswitch-1_0-221742K1300E8F:state'

I tried to switch on/off some light but none worked

Sorry, I am out of ideas.
Your log shows the handler receiving a command, fine.
Then the handler should ping the given portrange and log on which port the device responded.
If no portresponse found, this should be logged too.

This logic has not changed for about a year, and is working stable in many installations.

@jwiseman Have you seen any trouble with your Wemo devices lately?

Funny thing is I can easily reproduce. Just do anything on my WiFi that does a disconnect. I know they are online since I can control them with the wemo app and I can also ping and control them using my nodered workaround.

Today, I even formated my router! Thus we are on a brand new router installation, brand new Ubuntu installation on new docker installation with wemo on latest firmware. Maybe I should reboot the wemo? But then again, I reboot openhab and it start working again.

Could persistence be causing a problem?

I myself always had trouble with the wemo binding. In the past, it has some switch stopped working, mainly the dimmer. But now, it’s all or nothing scenario.

Yes, spent all day trying to fix 35 WeMo’s (plugs, light switches and insights). I have many versions of each (from v1 - v4) around a week ago.

It was a pain in the Axx!

Here’s what I did to get everything working again:

1. Use the older WeMo app on your phone, do not use the latest because it requires authentication at the cloud base level with the WeMo’s. I’m using this version on my Android → com.belkin.wemoandroid.1.24.201.apk

2. Turn OFF the remote enabled option in the App. Part of the problem is once you re-add or re-discover the device in the WeMo app, it starts to talk to the WeMo cloud which causes all kinds of issues. You only want your WeMo’s to be talking to your App and OH via WiFi, NO internet access for them.

3. I had to re-add all my WeMo’s from scratch a week ago because all of them had issues. Blinking Red, not responding, press the button for a light to turn ON but can’t turn it OFF, etc.

4. You may have to clear your cache on the WeMo app in order to re-add everything again. Clearing the cache on the app makes it re-scan the network objects. Clearing the cache is done at the phone level app section, not within the WeMo app itself.

5. Update the firmware on all the WeMo devices via the App. Do NOT upgrade the App though, it will cause a hole bunch of other issues.

6. After getting everything working, the only devices blinking red where the v3 light switches. This is an issue around WiFi connectivity. Went to bed and 7 of these devices starting working in the morning, but I could them ON via touching them - then try to turn them OFF and they wouldnt do it via touch. Waited another day to deal with it and everything worked itself out. I have NO idea why!

I spent over 7+ hours on this and I thought my WeMo OH setup was DEAD in the water but it finally went back to normal.

I hope this helps?

Best, Jay

I don’t think we have the same issue. I have the latest app with an account created. All of the wemo are on the latest version of firmware. But, they do work in openhab. Problem is when there’s something that trigger a connection reset like router reset, the binding doesn’t connect to them anymore. And when that happen, a reboot of openhab solve the issue.

I already restarted from scratch like I wrote before, all the way to the router, talk about reseting :wink:

I never had any red blinking problem, they always worked through the wemo app.

They work perfectly through my node-red flow I made where it talk directly through http. The problem is with the upnp discovery that doesn’t register and doesn’t find the right port.

My next step is to put a HA installation to see if the same issue will occur but so far, it’s only in openhab.

You can check my latest version here:
https://github.com/hmerk/Wemo/raw/main/org.openhab.binding.wemo-3.1.0-SNAPSHOT.jar

Changes :

• Portscan now available in all handlers
  • Remove duplicate code
  • Remove usage of deprecated packages

is the binding 2.5.11 compatible? It says installed but I don’t see it.

edit: In fact, I just see this in the log

• Error while starting bundle: file:/openhab/addons/org.openhab.binding.wemo-3.1.0-SNAPSHOT.jar
    org.osgi.framework.BundleException: Could not resolve module: org.openhab.binding.wemo [304]

NO, you can not use openHAB3 bindings in openHAB2 and also not the other way round.
There had been a rename of many classes in openHAB3, which makes both major versions incompatible.

oh, ok… I’m still not ready for OH3, too many stuff that doesn’t work for me right now. I’ll continue working on these to make the switch soon

I dont want to open up another thread. I reinstalled the latest Wemo binding 2.5.1 and discovered my tasmota 6.6.0 switches and created items. I cannot use them becaus of the following errors:

2021-02-05 12:35:48.929 [ERROR] [ng.wemo.internal.handler.WemoHandler] - Failed to get actual state for device ‘wemo:socket:Socket-1_0-201612K0079C3F2’: Invalid URI host: null (authority: 10.0.0.24:null)

2021-02-05 12:35:50.904 [ERROR] [ng.wemo.internal.handler.WemoHandler] - Failed to get actual state for device ‘wemo:socket:Socket-1_0-201612K00DB76B2’: Invalid URI host: null (authority: 10.0.0.57:null)

2021-02-05 12:35:53.875 [ERROR] [ng.wemo.internal.handler.WemoHandler] - Failed to get actual state for device ‘wemo:socket:Socket-1_0-201612K00DB7CCD’: Invalid URI host: null (authority: 10.0.0.59:null)

Your Tasmota devices do not respond to the port scan (ping) which is needed cause of a random port change in Wemo devices.
So this is not a binding issue, but a device issue.
As I stated earlier in another topic, I am not going to fix issues for devices other than original Wemo.

Thank you for the clarification. I will then use Mqtt.

As of the last few weeks, I am getting the same error as the original poster and my WeMos are not recognized by OH. Here’s my log (anonymized):

10:04:40.348 [DEBUG] [ing.wemo.internal.handler.WemoHandler] - WeMo UPnP device Socket-1_0-XXXXX not yet registered
10:04:40.349 [DEBUG] [ing.wemo.internal.handler.WemoHandler] - WeMo UPnP device Socket-1_0-XXXXX not yet registered
10:04:40.349 [DEBUG] [ing.wemo.internal.handler.WemoHandler] - Setting up WeMo GENA subscription for 'org.openhab.binding.wemo.internal.handler.WemoHandler@XXXXX' FAILED - service.isRegistered(this) is FALSE
10:04:40.349 [DEBUG] [ing.wemo.internal.handler.WemoHandler] - Setting up WeMo GENA subscription for 'org.openhab.binding.wemo.internal.handler.WemoHandler@XXXXX' FAILED - service.isRegistered(this) is FALSE
10:04:40.349 [DEBUG] [ing.wemo.internal.handler.WemoHandler] - WeMo UPnP device Lightswitch-1_0-XXXXX not yet registered
10:04:40.349 [DEBUG] [ing.wemo.internal.handler.WemoHandler] - WeMo UPnP device Lightswitch-1_0-XXXXX not yet registered
10:04:40.358 [DEBUG] [ing.wemo.internal.handler.WemoHandler] - WeMo UPnP device Lightswitch-1_0-XXXXX not yet registered
10:04:40.358 [DEBUG] [ing.wemo.internal.handler.WemoHandler] - Setting up WeMo GENA subscription for 'org.openhab.binding.wemo.internal.handler.WemoHandler@XXXXX' FAILED - service.isRegistered(this) is FALSE
10:04:40.375 [DEBUG] [ing.wemo.internal.handler.WemoHandler] - WeMo UPnP device Socket-1_0-XXXXX not yet registered
10:04:40.375 [DEBUG] [ing.wemo.internal.handler.WemoHandler] - Setting up WeMo GENA subscription for 'org.openhab.binding.wemo.internal.handler.WemoHandler@XXXXX' FAILED - service.isRegistered(this) is FALSE
10:04:40.381 [DEBUG] [ing.wemo.internal.handler.WemoHandler] - WeMo UPnP device Lightswitch-1_0-XXXXX not yet registered
10:04:40.382 [DEBUG] [ing.wemo.internal.handler.WemoHandler] - Setting up WeMo GENA subscription for 'org.openhab.binding.wemo.internal.handler.WemoHandler@XXXXX' FAILED - service.isRegistered(this) is FALSE
10:04:40.391 [DEBUG] [ing.wemo.internal.handler.WemoHandler] - WeMo UPnP device Socket-1_0-XXXXX not yet registered
10:04:40.391 [DEBUG] [ing.wemo.internal.handler.WemoHandler] - Setting up WeMo GENA subscription for 'org.openhab.binding.wemo.internal.handler.WemoHandler@XXXXX' FAILED - service.isRegistered(this) is FALSE
10:04:40.404 [DEBUG] [ing.wemo.internal.handler.WemoHandler] - WeMo UPnP device Socket-1_0-XXXXX not yet registered
10:04:40.404 [DEBUG] [ing.wemo.internal.handler.WemoHandler] - Setting up WeMo GENA subscription for 'org.openhab.binding.wemo.internal.handler.WemoHandler@XXXXX' FAILED - service.isRegistered(this) is FALSE
10:04:40.410 [DEBUG] [ing.wemo.internal.handler.WemoHandler] - WeMo UPnP device Socket-1_0-XXXXX not yet registered
10:04:40.410 [DEBUG] [ing.wemo.internal.handler.WemoHandler] - Setting up WeMo GENA subscription for 'org.openhab.binding.wemo.internal.handler.WemoHandler@XXXXX' FAILED - service.isRegistered(this) is FALSE
10:04:40.417 [DEBUG] [ing.wemo.internal.handler.WemoHandler] - WeMo UPnP device Insight-1_0-XXXXX not yet registered
10:04:40.417 [DEBUG] [ing.wemo.internal.handler.WemoHandler] - Setting up WeMo GENA subscription for 'org.openhab.binding.wemo.internal.handler.WemoHandler@XXXXX' FAILED - service.isRegistered(this) is FALSE
10:04:40.424 [DEBUG] [ing.wemo.internal.handler.WemoHandler] - WeMo UPnP device Socket-1_0-XXXXX not yet registered
10:04:40.425 [DEBUG] [ing.wemo.internal.handler.WemoHandler] - Setting up WeMo GENA subscription for 'org.openhab.binding.wemo.internal.handler.WemoHandler@XXXXX' FAILED - service.isRegistered(this) is FALSE
10:04:40.431 [DEBUG] [ing.wemo.internal.handler.WemoHandler] - WeMo UPnP device Sensor-1_0-XXXXX not yet registered
10:04:40.432 [DEBUG] [ing.wemo.internal.handler.WemoHandler] - Setting up WeMo GENA subscription for 'org.openhab.binding.wemo.internal.handler.WemoHandler@XXXXX' FAILED - service.isRegistered(this) is FALSE
10:04:40.447 [DEBUG] [ing.wemo.internal.handler.WemoHandler] - WeMo UPnP device Sensor-1_0-XXXXX not yet registered
10:04:40.448 [DEBUG] [ing.wemo.internal.handler.WemoHandler] - Setting up WeMo GENA subscription for 'org.openhab.binding.wemo.internal.handler.WemoHandler@XXXXX' FAILED - service.isRegistered(this) is FALSE

I can’t think of anything significant that has changed with my setup from the previous many months that it has been working well. I’m running OH 2.5.12 via the official docker image running on Debian. I even dug into my router’s settings to turn on UPnP (it has always been disabled and the WeMo binding has worked fine), downgrading to the last firmware, and turning on UPnP on the downgraded router firmware.

I also created an OH 3.0.1 instance to see if that would work, and it did not. I created a 2.5.11 instance and tried that; nothing. I then created a clean instance of 2.5.12. Still nothing.

I’ll confess to being completely ignorant about how UPnP works. So much so that I wouldn’t even know which devices or software are the potential culprits (router? server? cable modem? OH? Docker? Debian? WeMo?). But the bottom line is that I have googled this issue to no avail (this was the closest thread to anything helpful). I’m out of self-help options, I think, so I come hat-in-hand to the forum (apologies in advance, Hans-Jorg).

Please set log level to trace and post your logs.
Wemo binding code has not changed for a long time, so it seems to be a device issue.