What is really needed? A KIT!

Frustration abounds trying to get a handle on OpenHAB.
Got the Install; pretty straight forward.
But…
getting some device working is entirely a different matter. Too many variable and everyones’ YouTube attempts leave a lot to be desired. (IMO)
I think what is needed is a KIT that specs exactly what product to buy; then defines exactly which binding(s) to install; exactly what edits need to be made in exactly “these” config files.
I have looked at some offerings on “step by step”. They all seem very disorganized.
I understand that openHAB is not for the timid. I am not timid but I am not a programmer, either.
Then there is the kinds of work that has to be done to get a specific device (bulb, switch, plug…whatever) setup to work with XYZ binding.

A KIT with all the parts and steps? What a concept.

• Platform information:
    • Hardware: CPUArchitecture/RAM/storage
    • Java Runtime Environment: which java platform is used and what version
    • openHAB version:
  • Issue of the topic: please be detailed explaining your issue
  • Please post configurations (if applicable):
    • Items configuration related to the issue
    • Sitemap configuration related to the issue
    • Rules code related to the issue
    • Services configuration related to the issue
  • If logs where generated please post these here using code fences:

You are free to develop one. :wink:
The volunteers here are very busy working maintaining & improving on the core product in their sparse spare time.

We have no shortage of ideas here. Just the time & motivation to implement them. I am bust in my spare time, for instance, in cleaning up the Z-Wave device database of almost 1000 items.

3 Likes

Everyone’s home automation system is completely unique. There are over 350 different sets of technologies and APIs that openHAB works with. How do you propose such a kit would work? The problem isn’t with OH core, but with the 1e740 (350 factorial, 1 with 740 following zeros) possible combinations of just which add ons get installed on OH. Even if we assume that on average no one would use more than ten of these at a time we are still looking at 1e26 (1 with 26 following zeros) possible combinations. That isn’t devices, that’s just the bindings. If you look at devices you have many thousands factorial more possible combinations as most of these bindings can handle hundreds of different devices alone.

How do you propose to manage this in a kit?

No two users have the same set of step-by-step instructions. The ones you do see are somewhat “disorganized” because they aren’t step-by-step instructions, they are mini-instructions to do one part of your full openHAB environment. Users need to piece together these to build their own bespoke openHAB system because their system is in all likelihood completely unique.

Building a home automation is a development activity. There is no step-by-step tutorial for how to code a program like Chrome. It’s the same sort of thing with home automation.

If you actually have a viable idea for how to handle this we would welcome the PR. I just don’t see how this is feasible.

8 Likes

My son is working on a personal project for school and has chosen home automation. Of course with openhab. He is writing a tutorial on how to install basic home automation, with philips Hue, tplink smart plugs and KNX. Some rules to let all this help him with his daily routine.

The manual is published at a site. This is not finished yet, he has to write the rules etc. The deadline for this project is 10-2019.

Here is the link to the site, perhaps you have some advise on what is missing and hopefully this will work as a starting kit for openhab.

https://ivo541.wixsite.com/homeautomation

2 Likes

After a solid week of stumbling through my failed setup, a kit is all I want.

I might even be happy with a gui that shows Realtime relationships between the pieces (items, things, site map, etc.) would help find why my values are null.

Easy is not always best.
Read through the official documentation, including the concepts sections Show some effort with particular problems and we can help you resolve them.
There is no good instant Smart Home solution.

You will likely be much happier with a more limited commercial offering like Vera, Wink, or SmartThings. When you only support around a dozen technologies, a kit or step-by-step instructions is much more feasible. But even those require a whole lot of work on your part. If you can’t manage that then you need to hire a professional to build a system to your specifications.

Home automation is hard. Right up front on the main docs page we make this clear.

When home automation just seems to work, it is always the result of hard work. Home automation is fascinating and requires a considerable investment of your time.

Added some rules to the website.

My son did a basic installation using the paperUI of openhab, with the effort of a 14 year old. :wink: and made some simple rules. Hopefully it will help you make an easier start with your home automation.

2 Likes

Can he be loaned out?
Thanks for the encouragement.

He needs to choose a language :wink:
I notice the forum is a mixture of English & German, mainly German.
It looks good for a 14 year old. I noticed some minor English issues & thought I would contribute to help. His English is far superior to my (non-existent) German.

@kentek I will ask him :grinning: . Just keep on trying and will be fun. Some people do sudoku puzzles, we do home automation. There are enough persons here who would love to help you with the problems you encounter.

@Bruce_Osborne thanks for your feedback, he will have a look at it. (it is Dutch instead of German :wink:)

It 's “all greek to me” :innocent:

1 Like