What is the difference between system:default and system:follow?

I’m running openHAB 2.4.0~20181004001205-1 (Build #1380) snapshot on an rpi3. When linking and item to a channel using PaperUI there’s an option I’ve not seen before.

Please select profile:
-Default (system:default)
-Follow (system:follow)

Can some explain what these do and point me to any documentation.

Thanks, Glenn

1 Like

I have a similar problem.
suddenly, when trying to link an item to a thing, there ist a request for a profile, but I do not even get a choice, so I can not link any new item at all.
Before, I could do this without this question, and all my existing items are still working correctly.

What ist wrong with my system?
thanks
Wilfried

I would also be interested in that. I have Z-Wave remote controller and they are supposed to send their battery level on each actuation. My battery items are not refreshed. So today I tried to delete the link and recreate it and couldn’t find the item in the list. I tried to change the profile to system:follow and tada… my items showed up???

I don’t know yet if that will fix my problem with the battery level (couldn’t test it yet) but I’m also very interested to know about those “link profile”.

Nobody???

highly doubt it :slight_smile:

Link Profiles info:

not much documentation exists (until now)

xslt example: smarthome/extensions/transform/org.eclipse.smarthome.transform.xslt/README.md at cf01b8669aabaee764983b1d79fe4abf42ec7f95 · eclipse-archived/smarthome · GitHub

Super thank you very much. Still don’t really get why I need to choose system:follow for battery-level channels to have a specific item show up in the list!!??

you shouldn’t
the items should show up on system:default
follow does something else and you shouldn’t use it (unless you want that advanced functionality: the channel will forward the state from the followed item to the linked item via a Channel command method)

Weird… With system:default I have most items showing up but not all and especially not the one I need. If I switch to system:follow then I see the one I need. It seems I can switch back to system:default afterwards by editing the link. This is what I did for now.