What is your Primary OS?

While I expect Windows will be quite popular, I’m curious what everyone’s main everyday OS you use for home and work.

In the office, we are all Windows based along with VMWare hosted VM’s and Windows based servers.

But at home, I’ve started to test out various flavors of Linux. Ubuntu is a popular choice and so is Mint Linux. But so far my two favorites seem to be Zorin and Manjaro.

What is everyone else using these days?

At work we use Windows.

At home I use Mac OS (Macbook) and Ubuntu (old HP laptop). So I use all three of them, my favorite is still MacOS, but that is also because the hardware is a lot more appealing than the Ubuntu laptop.

CentOS 7

At work Windows. At home on the laptop, also Windows. But all servers at home, running HA gear, is either Debian or Raspbian (on my RPis).

I run windows at work simply because all of the systems I support (Citrix, vmware, M$ domain etc…) demand windows applications. M$ pays my bills :slight_smile:

I use debian vm’s wherever I can get away with it.

At home, I have a windows desktop for compatibility and a macbook air (that belongs to my company). All of my servers are debian running on xenserver. MacOS is ok but it’s just a smoothed and limited unix derivative… I prefer good ole linux vs macos. Their hardware is just very solid. I will point out that sierra did NOT like usb to serial adapters. Caused the machine to go nuclear until I got a third party driver… not impressed so Mac isn’t perfect.

Oh and CentOS. I had a pair of Centos NFS whiteboxes I built out of bubblegum and shoestring for work to migrate us off of physical servers to XenServer pools on a budget. Things ran for literally 3 years, no updates, no reboots. It was insane. The shear amount of data that went through those machines I cannot fathom.

At work I run Windows 10 (more or less compulsory) on the desktop (actually a docked laptop). However for heavy processing we have a bunch of linux machines (ubuntu). Interesting enough, at a previous workplace which I left 10 years ago, I used linux (Ubuntu) almost exclusively. I had an old additional crappy desktop running windows, wich was only used for the occasional word document, which was sometimes mandatory for contract work. Most of the documentation was done in LaTeX, on the linux machines.

At home I do not even own a computer, I use my work laptop when needed. My openHAB system is running on a raspberry pi, running Raspbian.

Thinkpad: Linux Mint 18.1
NUC/OpenHAB: Debian 8
Server: NAS4FREE/FreeBSD 11 with Debian VMs (Nextcloud, …)

so one could say my primary os is any kind of unix/linux… everything but windows!

Day to Day
1 macbook
1 windows laptop (win10)
1 windows 10 workstation (video editing)

Servers At Home
7 raspbians
1 Freenas (12tb)
2 pfsense (failover routers)
1 Centos PBX
2 Centos 6.5 Misc Web boxes
1 debian mail filter
2 ubuntu openhab boxes (failover)
1 Centos Backup server
3 ubuntu servers (pihole install, random dev, dedicated squid cache)

That’s a big setup. Are most of those running as VM’s or all separate hardware?

I try to avoid Window$ at all costs :wink:

My three ASUS laptops, used for personal and work purposes, all run Mageia linux.

I have three refurbished desktop machines serving as hypervisors. They all run XenServer release 6.5.0. Another, older desktop machine runs Mageia linux and serves all of my music.

I run numerous VMs on the XenServer instances, including CentOS 7.x in most cases where the VM is providing some key network service, CentOS 6.x for testing, Windows 7 Pro when I have no other choice but to run WIndows. CoreOS for my Docker explorations. My firewall runs on a CentOS 7 VM, as does my mail server, which is Zimbra installed on CentOS 7.x.

I have two 24/7 RPi3’s. One runs OSMC (Kodi) and the other runs OH2 on OpenHABian (thank you, @ThomDietrich!)

the nas is seperate.
2 esxi hosts with 10gig connections to the nas for iscsi
the pi’s are separate (of course)

but a good deal are vm’s

1 router is physical, failover router is virtual

At work all PCs and Laptops. are running Windows 10. File servers and web servers are running different Linux systems (Ubuntu, Debian, Cent-OS). There are also some application servers with different Windows Server versions.

At home I am using Windows 10 on PC and Laptops, a QNAP NAS and of course my Raspberry Pi (with openHAB) and Raspian.

At work, linux, at home linux. (Gentoo, sometimes Ubuntu). I have a virtual machine for those rare moments I have to use a windows installation. (Electronic CAD software mainly).

Day to day, I use a Chromebook. The Samsung Plus is amazing. That’s for work and play.

I support Windows 7/10 users at work, Ubuntu servers, and cloud services.

I don’t use my own Windows laptop much anymore since the Chromebook boots instantly and never lags while doing updates or antivirus scans.

Fedora 26 at my workstation
Debian and Ubuntu on several Raspberrys

Redhat, fedora, centos and openhabian(raspberrian)

Ubuntu Linux for work notebook
Windows 10 for home pc
Debian on raspi and odroid at home

Since I’m a .Net developer I use Windows 10 / Server 2012 at work.
And on my PC at home also Windows 10, since I use it for gaming.
My homeserver is Windows 2016 Essentials, since I use it as a NAS with driver bender.

For OpenHAB I use Ubuntu LTS on a low power Intel NUC.
I might switch it to my homeserver if Linux docker containers work well and support USB passthrough.

At home: OpenIndiana (Solaris flavour)/ latest Fedora
At work: CentOS6/7 (Servers)/latest Fedora (Workstations)

Laptop with Windows 10 and HyperV, in HyperV I have a Windows 10 virtual machine that I use for work and then a Linux Mint that I use as backup for my Raspberry PI with OpenHab. Lastly I have another VM with TAILS for safe browsing of the interwebz if I don;t want o leave breadcrumbs around