What ports are required to be open?

I built a quick test system a few days ago on a pi and it discovered the Wemo plugs right way when I added the wemo binding.

I’m installing on a more production like system that runs on Fedora which is by nature more locked down that some other variants.

I need to open ports specifically in the OS. I have 8080 open and can get to the dashboard fine. Any other ports I should open?

Any ideas?

You have not provided nearly enough information.

Look especially at 1, 4, 8, 9, 10. Also consider 12 if appropriate.

How to ask a good question / Help Us Help You - Tutorials & Examples - openHAB Community

Well, maybe you just don’t understand networking and ports.

I’ll speak slower…

What ports need to be open for incoming connections to openhab ?

I will speak even slower as a network engineer.

I T
D E P E N D S
O N
Y O U R
B I N D I N G
A N D
C O N F I G U R A T I O N ! ! !

1 Like

Let’s take it down a notch, guys. We’re all friends here. No need to put each other on edge when isolation is already doing that for all of us. :slight_smile:

@HeneryH, a lot of folks around here point to the “how to ask a good question” post in order to train new users to provide sufficient detail when asking questions. It’s not my style, but I appreciate why others do it.

As Bruce notes, the ports depend on your bindings and configuration. He could have just guessed that you only need the Wemo binding, but he wants to give you a proper answer and not send you down the wrong path.

4 Likes

I simply said give us the information to make an informed answer. We are not mind readers, simply mortal volunteers.

1 Like

@HeneryH, that’s pretty much the opposite of “taking it down a notch”. I’m asking for civility and respect from everyone.

Bruce is a valued contributor to the openHAB forums who regularly helps users out of his own good will. He chose to respond to your initial request in a way that he thought would be helpful, and in a manner that is consistent with what other long-time community members do. You’re correct that you aren’t the first person to have received such a response (there are valid reasons the “ask a good question” post exists), which should reinforce that there was nothing personal about it.

I appreciate that you’re frustrated, but there’s no call for insults or biting sarcasm from anyone. One of the best things about the openHAB community is that we can have discussions and debates without decaying into the personal attacks and insults you find in other corners of the Internet. I’m not a moderator, but I’m protective of our collaborative and positive environment.

We all want you to have success with openHAB and become an important member of our community, but first impressions are everything. I don’t want you to feel like we’re chasing you away, or others to feel that you’re going to attack when you don’t like what you hear. Even over the Internet, relationships are still important.

If this is a hobby for you (as it is for me), then it should be fun! And around here, we have more fun helping people build than tearing people apart. I hope you’ll stick around and come to appreciate that as much as I do.

12 Likes

Well said @rpwong and thank you! I try to encourage my son to read the forum and help with home automation ideas and take comfort in a clean forum.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 41 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.