What system to use for home camera surveillance?

@H102
Here’s my CPU load on the Rasp Pi 3B with 1 IP cam. CPU varies between 20% and 28%. Definitely can support at least 2 or 3 cams.

Mem: 150232K used, 616516K free, 2348K shrd, 4492K buff, 52128K cached
CPU:  22% usr   0% sys   0% nic  77% idle   0% io   0% irq   0% sirq
Load average: 0.56 0.29 0.11 3/118 1478
  PID  PPID USER     STAT   VSZ %VSZ %CPU COMMAND
 1058  1048 root     S     127m  17%  23% /usr/bin/motion -n -c /data/etc/motion.conf -d 5
1 Like

I use MotionEye, its very easy

These are the cameras we use. Not sure what software though.

1 Like

I upgraded from ZoneMinder to Shinobi. I highly recommend it!

1 Like

I’ve tried, but I wasn’t able to get an accurate motion detection setting. Way too much false positive events. Now using Motion(Eye), and it’s easier to get it working.

1 Like

I got lots of false positive motion detection using the Camera. I put in another PIR motion sensor to get around the issue. But that also occasionally gives false positive triggering, but much less than the camera.

I just put in some code to cross check the PIR motion sensor event with the camera’s motion detection. This is done by first doing the Samba mapping to the Raspberry Pi running motion eye OS. When the PIR event triggers, the code looks for the camera still images from the previous 5 seconds up to 10 seconds in the future. If there is at least one image, then it is a confirmed motion event. It then sends an email alert.

Here’s the code I use, just in case anyone is interested in this.

alert_on_entrance_activity.py

camera_utilities.py

1 Like