What would it take for someone to become a binding reviewer?

The extensionservice originally written by Kai considered all types of extensions including rule templates. Bindings can also bundle rule templates.

What we probably need is a new directory on openhab2-addons for ruletemplates (or a separate repo) and an extensionservice provider that gets new rule templates periodically directly from the github repo.

1 Like

I think it is time to split automation from core, and have a repo for automation engines, script engines, and rule templates. Potentially helper libraries too, but most/all of the functionality they provide will be getting absorbed into a scripting API.

I’ve been working on incorporating this into the Jython addon, but I’ve had to put that down to focus on the helper libraries. I will definitely need your help with this addon!

1 Like

I guess you are proposing that because Core is slow in merging automation engine changes.
I’d say we convince Core maintainers to allow us full, unrestricted, unquestioned access to the “org.openhab.automation” bundle namespace (it’s fortunately still marked as experimential).

It takes too long to wait for Markus AND Kai’s approval, because neither of them dares to merge at the moment without the other (that’s my personal feeling, might be wrong?!).

Script “engines” (the java part is what you mean I guess?) should stay in core is my gut feeling. And I’d love to contribute all my written automation module handlers, if I’d know that review speed is not measured in weeks on that repo.

Helper libraries and the resulting scripting API should be on its own repo. Did you get a repo for that purpose already?

1 Like

Sorry for reviving, but what is the conclusion of this thread?

I reviewed the PR for the SMHI binding, but my review doesn’t count of course, because I’m not a maintainer. I program Java since 16 years and do Java code reviews as a software architect at work. My binding contribution history is not as long (one binding (13k lines), which is waiting to be reviewed).

What do I have to do to become a code reviewer?

1 Like

Hi Fabian,

Your help will be appreciated. I guess you are already familiar with our guidelines to become a maintainer. I would suggest you head over to the add-ons repository and start reviewing other contributions. There are waiting a lot of new bindings. In the beginning you do not have to be a maintainer to help. Feel free to spend as much time as you can offer. Once the staff recognizes your good work one has to nominate you as a potential candidate to joining the team. There will be a small internal voting.

Additionally it would make sense to get in touch with OHC too. Another option could be to volunteer for some special task to be done for OH3 (e.g. we want to get rid of dependency on org.apache.commons in all existing bindings). I know that is hard work but a task which has to be done by a maintainer as well.

Have fun. Don’t hesitate to ask further questions.
Christoph

3 Likes

I wish openHAB would communicate whether it seeks to be a platform or an application.

A platform enables decentralised third parties to autonomously design, develop, discover, distribute and deploy new capabilities. This requires prioritising features such as addon indexes, usage telemetry to surface quality proxies to intending users, security models (permissions, flagging, moderation, bytecode analysis), sandboxing (isolated logging, control flow instrumentation, operational metrics) etc.

An application enables end users to download a single centralised distribution and have a relatively reliable turnkey experience. But doing that requires a strong level of contribution gating that seems unrealistic for a vendor agnostic DIY solution, let alone one without any FTE employees or sponsors.

Increasingly open source projects communicate their ubiquity based on convenient community metrics such as number of plugins, lines of contributed code, quantity of contributors, number of downloads etc. Such metrics are trivially optimised by platforms while being comparatively difficult for those applications maintaining quality controls. In turn more accessible projects have a stronger marketing proposition, in turn leading to accelerated adoption, contributors and competitive position (uncorrelated to underlying quality).

I’ve had 6 recent experiences with the addon ecosystem that indicates to me it currently struggles:

1. I purchased some hardware and found the official addon broken, so I located an earlier bug report, made a small fix and submitted a PR. While the PR was promptly reviewed, I was asked to make substantial changes and the overwhelming majority of those were unrelated to my small fix.
  2. I used an official addon and added a feature to it. It was circa 10 lines. The PR was promptly reviewed with LGTM but then no second reviewer ever dealt with it. Months later I closed the PR as the lack of the feature made it unusable and I switched to another addon.
  3. I use an unofficial addon supplied as a community JAR, but it broke due to hosted service provider changes. The author fixed it within hours and I wondered why it wasn’t an official addon given the apparent widespread use and responsive maintainer. I found an old post where he reported that it was once submitted but so many changes were sought that he didn’t proceed.
  4. I use an official addon despite there being a far more feature-rich unofficial version. The author never submitted it for a PR and has now disappeared without their useful work being built upon.
  5. I was trying to integrate some hardware and found there was a PR for it. But then I found it unreviewed, and even the author’s request here months later was met with “be patient”.
  6. Someone suggested writing an addon here on the forum. A few users chimed in to suggest it wasn’t that useful. The user cited another project that had a similar feature and expressed disillusionment and that they would go elsewhere.

Today I was working on a battery system integration and believe it would make a useful openHAB addon. Yet I have no intention of packaging it as such, as based on the above there is a high probability that it will either receive no review, no interest or require substantial PR modifications that I don’t have time for.

I hope that openHAB evolves into a platform that makes it easy to welcome and channel the enthusiasm of prospective addon developers. There are ample precedents (app stores, browser plugin directories, operating system package managers etc) on how to achieve this. Just appointing more reviewers is fine, but it won’t change the experiences of #1, #3, #4 and #6 above, as the review process is aiming to enforce a quality benchmark that makes the bar so very high. A platform, on the other hand, would capture all the energies put into every example above and leave everybody - irrespective of their enthusiasm or available time - able to constructively participate and share their work.

4 Likes

The platform you seek was and, for now, remains the Eclipse IoT Marketplace (you can find the plugin to install it under the Misc tab of PaperUI). This was envisioned as a way for people to make available add-ons (and eventually reusable rules and the like) without submitting it to openHAB for review for what ever desired reason (some don’t like the review process, others don’t like the licensing requirements, etc).

Instructions for adding an add-on to the marketplace can be found at https://marketplace.eclipse.org/addcontent.

From the user’s perspective the add-ons show up in the list the same as the official ones and can be installed in all the same ways as the official ones.

I believe an alternative marketplace is in work for OH 3.I don’t know any details.

And of course, one can manually install add-ons, as you indicated.

Support for a platform is there and used by many. I’m not sure what else is required. There are at least two alternatives to make add-ons available for those who do not want to go through OH’s approval.

1 Like

Not sure either, but I don’t believe there is

This is a legitimate concern however, of course, bindings are only one of these kinds of add-ons you would want to “sideload” because the official distribution corresponding to your runtime release doesn’t meet your needs. Other kinds could be rule templates, UI widgets, and more.

I experimented with HABPanel a community-curated gallery of widgets, which uses this forum’s API to present options and download attachments, as well as being able to download from GitHub repositories when needed. It gave good results, but I’m not sure if it would be appropriate to expand this approach to the kinds of add-ons which would be a real security threat if added while not properly reviewed - like bindings. On the other hand: do we really have the bandwidth to properly review what’s being contributed in a timely fashion?

This is getting a bit off topic :slight_smile:, but there is, as far as I know, not yet any active work done other then some ideas that can be found here: https://github.com/openhab/openhab-addons/issues/6673

2 Likes

sorry, I know it’s a common occurrence :wink:
Thanks for the very interesting link, was not aware of it!

No, and we shouldn’t even try that. Instead of making core contributors getting over each and every line of every addon which is intended to be integrated I believe it is better to focus on making a quick feedback loop from end users back to contributors. If binding passes a static code analysis it is a valid candidate to make it available for installation with appropriate “unverified”, “experimental”, “preview” flags.
If you think that forum and marketplace enables that, you’re wrong. First time contributor might not know what marketplace is. Marketplace is not targeted toward openHAB deployments but Eclipse project which is now gone. It is also beyond control of foundation. Forcing people to re-publish their contribution elsewhere so end users could play with their work is slow.
Automation is a key. What @Ben said is very accurate - if we could automatically build PRs, publish and brodcast them as experimental features and post back uncaught exceptions from given binding back to its author quality improvement would be faster than current review. :slight_smile: The @NonNullByDefault would become optional. :wink:

Personally I do not understand why openHAB try to impose so many quality metrics on addons which in some cases get used by very few users. People who write their contribution first time need endorphins to keep their enthusiasm up. Waiting for weeks in the review queue or receiving number of framework related philosophical pointers kills that.
If it doesn’t work - then it doesn’t work. People in interest must communicate. Shielding contributor from users will not work anyway. Most of issues will be assigned back to author anyway, fairly often authors will be reached over forums.

That time for reviews would be spent better on improving developer documentation. This was requested in other thread few days ago. Explaining APIs which are invisible for first time contributors is better than training them via reviews.

5 Likes

I think all necessary technical preconditions are already met.

But the expections and the available alternatives could be managed better. Give the user an overview:

If you want your add-on to be part of the official distribution, there are some quality gates. Expect n review findings per 1000 loc on average. Expect the first review after n weeks.
If that isn’t what you expected, you can release your add-on via the marketplace without any barrier. [Link to how easily it is to install a marketplace add-on]