Which CO Sensor?

Can anyone recomend a CO sensor? I have seen just one sensor - the Z-Wave one from Popp, that could be integrated into a smart home. Any experiences or suggestions for an alternative sensor? I want to put one next to the gas heating. And a smart sensor that can trigger an notification makes much more sense than an unsmart one. If the “accident” happens when nobody is at home, the sensor stops ringing because batteries are out of enery after a while and no one is aware of a potential risk when comming home. 2nd point: If I hear alarm from the cellar, it could be because of water, smoke or CO - would be good to know, what sensor has caused the alarm - go downstairs or better not … on my current Fibaro-system (I am moving over to OpenHAB) I have set up notification (email and Push) that tells my what sensor in which room has triggered an alarm.

I recently acquired a couple of Nest Protects, and I like them. They have a lot of advantages, well-designed, apparent good built quality, easy installation, they talk (“Smoke in the cellar”, addresses your 2nd point by itself), self test built-in, gadgets like “path lighting”, it lights up in the dark when it detects motion, low battery alarm via the app, no more annoying chirps in the middle of the night. They have a wired (for power) and battery powered version.

In my opinion two (serious) disadvantages, price and the fact that they communicate via nest’s servers. Via the nest binding, they integrate well in OpenHAB (note: OpenHAB connects also to the Nest’s servers, the sensors do not communicate directly with OpenHAB). Especially the dependency on external servers might be a deal-breaker for some. Of course the actual alarms (spoken and siren) do not depend on communication with these servers, the smartphone-app and connection with OpenHAB do.

Thanks. I discovered the already. buts as you said there are two big disadvantages. Price is one - but communication to their servers is the second and the one I do not want. This is why I log into my home automation via VPN. I think I will go with the Popp’s. First i will check whether they are supportet by the Z-Wave Binding.Last week I struggeld with he 1st Fibare Smoke Sensor I wanted to migrate from my Fibaro System to OpenHAB2.

Fibaro has just released a CO sensor. Still very pricey and probably not yet OH-supported, but I’m sure both of that is gonna change in the next weeks.

Any new information about supporting the Fibaro CO sensor?

It’s supported: https://www.cd-jackson.com/index.php/zwave/zwave-device-database/zwave-device-list/devicesummary/711

I downloaded the OpenHAB a week ago and it dont recognize the CO sensor from Fibaro. i just get an unknown device. It is the last stable version 2.3.0 for windows.

Just updated the Version to 2.4.0 the last snapshot, but still the Fibaro CO sensor vant be installed, i get just unknown devise Node 5. Pls someone can help me what im doing wrong?

Check if the device type and firmware version match the DB entry. If no, create another one.
And you eventually need to delete .xml files and/or exclude/reinclude the device if that does not work.

Ty, it worked now, the system now recognise the Fibaro CO Sensor, but by the controls by every sensor value is just -NaN

I am using Co2 monitor of TFS Dostmann that is connected to a separate raspberry pi.
This rasberry reads out the CO2 values and sync them via openhab REST API to the openhabian …

Works quite well :slight_smile:

Just checkout: https://github.com/wreiner/officeweather

1 Like

Hi (@ruebox)
thanks for this post. I would like to use it without the additional raspberry pi. I thought to install the monitor.py application on the openhabian raspberry pi and use the created rrd file to display it in openhab. What do you think, could this work?

Hi,
you could also run the python script on your openhab raspberry. The main question is where do you connect the CO2 sensor. If you can directly connect your sensor on the openhab raspberry then it should be easy.

In my situation, it was not feasible to directly connect the CO2 sensor on my openhab raspberry because it is located in a different room. Thus, I used another one for usb connection.

best,